Exercise (cardio and weightlifting) or end of honeymoon phase causing high blood sugars ??

LSwifeofT1D

Hi! My husband is type 1 - diagnosed 2 years ago now at 33. He’s still been in the honeymoon phase so he’s been managing really well with degludec (long lasting) and aspart (fast aching). Hb1ac was 51 last time!

But we knew it wouldn’t last as nurses kept saying he’s still in honeymoon phase.

We recently got a home gym and he’s been doing a good 1-1.5 hours of weightlifting and cycling most days. But his blood sugars go so high afterwards - getting readings of 10 afterwards. Then through out the day he’s been high, then before bed and on waking up he’s still pretty high.

Any advice on how you manage blood sugars after exercise like weightlifting?

We’ve heard BS behaves differently depending on the exercise - so heavy cardio lowers it but weights can increase it.

Or... is he nearing the end of the honeymoon phase?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugar levels are always higher after a hard swim. I generally ensure my level is ok when I go into the water for safety and take a correction when I come out. Often find I will need to take extra throughout the day. It is the type of exercise as your husband is finding out.

Reactions: LSwifeofT1D
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
PEPPERS BEING USED TO BULK OUT FOOD ASSUMING THAT EVERYONE LIKES THEM!!
Hi. I’m finding the same issue. I’ve been on pump for 4 years and have started to use the peloton exercise system. Example bm at 16:39 was 12. When I finished at 17:00 I was 9.3bm and now at 18:30 I’m up to 17.3 bm before any food. Correcting now before meal. This is really annoying as this has happened at least 3 times. Has anyone else encountered the same thing

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I try to do my weights before lunch and pop any corrections needed in when dosing for the meal.

Reactions: EllieM

LuisC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I try to do my weights before lunch and pop any corrections needed in when dosing for the meal.
Hi there!
Nice to hear so many active people!
I am 39. 17 with diabetes. Done voleyball, running, swimming, biking (triathlons) and since 3 years ago engaged "only" with weight lifting.
I also have experience such spikes after the training. So I started pre-bolusing. It worked wonders in my case. Just be prepare with fast absorbing sugars (dextrose) in case of hypos and time properly the insulin bolus. With heavy lifts like squats or deadlifts glucose will spike (so those first in the workout session). Then the isolation work (if needed) like higher reps biceps, triceps...

I would event try first with a light pre-workout meal (e.g. whey protein shake (it needs a bit of insulin to avoid spike)) and then workout with IOB (Insuline-on-board).

Just keep trying and measuring.

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask!

Cheers!