Just diagnosed as Prediabetic............. need to get this sorted

VicB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Forum buddies, i have been see-sawing close to being prediabetic for a couple of years but this year my Doc said those words 'you are prediabetic' big wake up call. I am 66 years old, Male, 5ft 10, 220 lbs. Still working though mainly office work these days. Now walking a golf course 3 times a week (not playing) about 6000 steps each time, blood sugar all over the place and totally confused.
Trying to follow a LCHF diet, lost 3lb over 2 weeks only to put it on again a few days later
Last blood test
Fasting insulin was 14
A1C was just inside the prediabetes value
but my fasting blood glucose was 'good' no value was given to me
A home test kit later, yesterday last meal was 7pm. took BG test at 11pm, it was 6.9. This morning, up at 6am, cup of lemon tea and after a 6000 step walk my (7.30) fasting BG was up to 7.1 ................ an hour later (8.30) still on fast, BG rose to 7.6.
2 boiled eggs and i coffee with cream at 9am, tested now (11.30) BG is 9.9.............. WTH ? any ideas anybody
Note: last year did a 10 day fermented cabbage diet, lost 1 stone, all my BG and BP readings were great, felt great, energised, no brain fog...... but deffo not a sustainable diet

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1 on insulin I don't have much advice for you, but I expect others will chip in soon :)

But can I ask, why do you walk a golf course 3 times a week without playing? Nothing to do with diabetes, it just made me curious...

VicB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T1 on insulin I don't have much advice for you, but I expect others will chip in soon :)

But can I ask, why do you walk a golf course 3 times a week without playing? Nothing to do with diabetes, it just made me curious...
Just because its a 5 mins walk from where i live, nicer than pounding the roads

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just because its a 5 mins walk from where i live, nicer than pounding the roads
Thanks! Sorry for derailing your thread with my question, you really had me puzzled. It fully makes sense now, golf courses tend to be pretty :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Forum buddies, i have been see-sawing close to being prediabetic for a couple of years but this year my Doc said those words 'you are prediabetic' big wake up call. I am 66 years old, Male, 5ft 10, 220 lbs. Still working though mainly office work these days. Now walking a golf course 3 times a week (not playing) about 6000 steps each time, blood sugar all over the place and totally confused.
Trying to follow a LCHF diet, lost 3lb over 2 weeks only to put it on again a few days later
Last blood test
Fasting insulin was 14
A1C was just inside the prediabetes value
but my fasting blood glucose was 'good' no value was given to me
A home test kit later, yesterday last meal was 7pm. took BG test at 11pm, it was 6.9. This morning, up at 6am, cup of lemon tea and after a 6000 step walk my (7.30) fasting BG was up to 7.1 ................ an hour later (8.30) still on fast, BG rose to 7.6.
2 boiled eggs and i coffee with cream at 9am, tested now (11.30) BG is 9.9.............. WTH ? any ideas anybody
Note: last year did a 10 day fermented cabbage diet, lost 1 stone, all my BG and BP readings were great, felt great, energised, no brain fog...... but deffo not a sustainable diet
Hi @VicB,
Some people find their blood glucose goes up with coffee. Could be because it is a stimulant, (resulting in a liverdump of glucose) maybe try some decaf and see whether the same happens? Just a guess, coffee doesn't do anything to me, but I've heard of others responding that way. As for your bloodglucose going up after your walk, well, you were still fasting, so your liver comes into play again. It dumps glucose upon waking to get you some energy to start your day, and it keeps doing that until you eat, it seems... It does that for me. Others don't have that issue. See, (pre-) diabetes is a very personal thing. Some have livers that keep on dumping until they eat, others just stay nice and low. I usually skip my breakfast and just have tea, don't eat until I'm actually hungry around noon. By that time I'm seeing upper sixes, sometimes... Which is fine by me, so I'm okay with that. At first though I'd just eat a little square of dark chocolate or a hand full of nuts and my liver'd knock it off. Whatever you're comfortable with.

On top of that, the variations here and there aren't that big. A meter has a 15% margin of error, so a 6,9 and a 7,1 could in reality, if tested in the lab, be an even 7.0. It's all a lot to take in, and there's a lot of maybe's, but really... I've seen worse numbers and you're tackling this head-on, which is good. (As well as the walks...! Better than lifting a bunch of weights for someone with a metabolic issue like yours.)

If LCHF isn't working for you, though I do think you might want to give it a little more time, you could look into Keto. It's the same thing but taking it rather far: 20 grams of carbs or less, mostly. I combine it with Intermittent Fasting. My weight has sadly plateau'd, but hey, I'm not 102 kilo's or more anymore (hovering around 82 kilo's now), so I'll take it. My bloodsugars have been in the normal range for three years now. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help, as could dietdoctor.com, Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code and this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk. (Not .org!). You'll get through this.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: VicB

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that eating a small amount of carbs with breakfast, rather than none at all or a meal with just protein and fat, made my 'helpful' liver stop putting out glucose.
Once I had that sorted out I then found I did not need to eat until evening.