Jardiance

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Dudette1,
I have been put on Jardiance today and not sure about taking them I have read the side effects and feel worried.
How are you on taking this tablet? Are you blood sugars lower and did you have any weight loss?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt ill on Metformin and Atorvastatin - mental confusion was only a small part of it, but it frightened me a lot. I was eating low carb, and I have gone even lower now, to 40 gm of carbs a day. I do not need any medication and have to make my clothes smaller from time to time.
Low carb is how many people got rid of their type two diabetes symptoms, and are classed as in remission. It is the single most powerful, and most successful method of lowering blood glucose - so much so that you'd need to be very careful with the drugs you are taking or you could go too low.
It is entirely your choice, of course, but there is a lot of information available on the forum, and success stories from those who have got results even better then mine.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hello Dudette1,
I have been put on Jardiance today and not sure about taking them I have read the side effects and feel worried.
How are you on taking this tablet? Are you blood sugars lower and did you have any weight loss?
Hi lynne, the first week I felt really quite ill, but after that I felt fine, it lowers my blood sugar significantly and I think any tablets we take in life are a risk. I don’t do a low carb diet, I use an app called lose it and stay within my calories range. Do change some of the foods you eat, pasta, rice and anything likely to spike your blood sugars. It is important to check 2 hours after food so you know what spikes and what your body tolerates.. one thing I will tell you to do is carry high sugar sweets with you at all times.my readings used to be in the 13s and 14s now they can drop as low as 4. It is a good tablet but we all want to aim at coming away from them. I was 3.5 on my walk yesterday so I had to grab the sweets quickly. So I can’t stress enough to always have them in your pocket. Let me know how you get on. Try not to fret 2 much,(easier said than done I know) I was the same. Please let me know how you get on. Here if you need anything x

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jardiance and/or metformin (unless combined with other med) should not stop your liver responding to low BG by releasing glocose. Hence normally there is no need for people on it to think about the risk of hypos.

Feeling ill in the first week or two may be due to dyhration and/or low salt or it could just be a persons body not being used to normal BG.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Jardiance and/or metformin (unless combined with other med) should not stop your liver responding to low BG by releasing glocose. Hence normally there is no need for people on it to think about the risk of hypos.

Feeling ill in the first week or two may be due to dyhration and/or low salt or it could just be a persons body not being used to normal BG.
How long have you been taking jardiance?? did it not lower your blood sugar? I’ve had 3 hypos since starting it and it lowers my blood sugar rapidly and keeps going unless I deal with it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Clearly it should lower your blood suger, but it is not common for it to result in a hypo unless a person is also taking Insulin, or a sulfonylurea(eg glipizide or 101 other names for meds in the same class).

Hence if you have not done do already, talk to your GPs about the hypos.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Clearly it should lower your blood suger, but it is not common for it to result in a hypo unless a person is also taking Insulin, or a sulfonylurea(eg glipizide or 101 other names for meds in the same class).

Hence if you have not done do already, talk to your GPs about the
what are your blood sugars after taking jardiance?