Newly diagnosed

Kalamazoo_79

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I got diagnosed roughly 6 weeks ago, (LADA) when I was taken to hospital with DKA. I was given a diabetic nurse who I have not yet seen. She said I would be given an appointment within a week, then after this time, she changed it to within a month. She was then supposed to ring me 3 weeks ago but didn't. My levels are all over the place and I'm really worried about this. Everytime I ring, shes never there. Hiw am i supposed to manage my diabetes safely when i can never get hold of her and she doesnt return my calls?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear you're in this position, have you spoken to the Endocrinology team at your hospital ? I wouldn't wait for your DSN to call you back, as you're newly diagnosed you need to be seen and there are other DSN's you can speak to there on the phone, try this and see how you get on.

Kalamazoo_79

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. Will try talking to the hospital. I've just made an appointment to see my gp too. Maybe he can get the ball rolling for me

Reactions: Juicyj

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree you must talk to someone as soon as possible. Today would be a good time.

May I just point out that your settings say you have prediabetes, but you say you are LADA. It would help if you change your profile settings to reflect your diagnosis so you can receive appropriate advice because "prediabetes" is showing under your avatar.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I assume you have been placed onto insulin? Can you let us know if you are on insulin and what regime i.e. twice a day mixed or 4/5 times a day Basal/Bolus.

Kalamazoo_79

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome,

I agree you must talk to someone as soon as possible. Today would be a good time.

May I just point out that your settings say you have prediabetes, but you say you are LADA. It would help if you change your profile settings to reflect your diagnosis so you can receive appropriate advice because "prediabetes" is showing under your avatar.
Thank you, I didn't realise it was showing prediabetes

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kalamazoo_79

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I assume you have been placed onto insulin? Can you let us know if you are on insulin and what regime i.e. twice a day mixed or 4/5 times a day Basal/Bolus.
Hi, I'm on lantus once a day and novorapid 3x a day

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm on lantus once a day and novorapid 3x a day
Thanks. I'm appalled that the hospital haven't provided more support. Hopefully your local surgery can help. I have a lovely DN at my surgery who does my reviews. The normal approach to Basal/Bolus regime is to try to get the Basal balanced first. A rough check is to see whether your BS after fasting for a few hours goes up or goes down; also what your morning BS level is and my DN said, sensibly, to keep it between 5 to 7 mmol. For the Bolus you may have been told to start with a fixed dose but shortly you should be taught how to adjust the dose at each meal to match the carbs in that meal. This is called the Bolus ratio. Most people are started at 1 unit of Bolus for each 10gm of carb. This is adjusted to suit each patient based on experience. The important thing when doing any adjustments is to use the meter a lot and try to get hold of a DN if you can. Under inject the number of units if unsure and gradually increase with experience

Kalamazoo_79

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. Luckily my gp was fantastic today and referred me to a few different people and organised an appointment with a consultant next week. I feel a lot more at ease now. Thanks for your help