Freestyle Libre - Ending a sensor early

kayleighb2701

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sensor used to end about 6pm however one night I didn’t scan the new one until 11pm so now I am stuck in an 11pm cycle is there anyway to disconnect the sensor a few hours early so I can connect the new one at a more convenient time?

This also ties in with what would I do if my sensor came off early how do you go about reconnecting a new one?

I’ve never pulled out a sensor early so I don’t know if they automatically turn off when they fall off.

Also to note I don’t used the device it comes with I only use my phone app not sure if this will make a difference.

Any advice would be great - thanks! :)

Reactions: Optium

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes you can end them early, just scan the new one with your reader/phone and it will ask if you want to end the previous one, tell it yes and scan the new one again and your reader/phone will then be paired to the new one, and you can just then remove the old one from you.

kayleighb2701

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes you can end them early, just scan the new one with your reader/phone and it will ask if you want to end the previous one, tell it yes and scan the new one again and your reader/phone will then be paired to the new one, and you can just then remove the old one from you.

Brilliant thank you!

PickWhit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I second what Rokaab said - but for a different reason. New user myself and had one come off my skin after a few days (forgot about it after showering and partially caught it on my towel - then came off later that day). My old sensor had 6 days left on it. After placing the new one on on skin - and then going to app to scan it - it scans, asks if you want to end the old one early (in my case 6 days early - in your case 6 hours early), you click yes, and then it starts the new one fresh. (Thought I'd add my story just in case anyone else had one come off early, too).

Nigel182

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks all just found this thread searching Forum as have just knocked my sensor off catching it on the door frame and went into panic mode scanning it every 10 mins or so and it was coming up with the same rescan in 10 mins message.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the Libre can I suggest Tegaderm patches, 62pence in most Boots chemists, (just gone up from 54p) google 'Tegaderm patch' and you'll see what I mean.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks for the useful thread.
I'm going to have to end a sensor early as it is reading low 3s all the time when my BG is above 5.

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sensor used to end about 6pm however one night I didn’t scan the new one until 11pm so now I am stuck in an 11pm cycle is there anyway to disconnect the sensor a few hours early so I can connect the new one at a more convenient time?

This also ties in with what would I do if my sensor came off early how do you go about reconnecting a new one?

I’ve never pulled out a sensor early so I don’t know if they automatically turn off when they fall off.

Also to note I don’t used the device it comes with I only use my phone app not sure if this will make a difference.

Any advice would be great - thanks! :)
It's now 2022 and I am asking the same question!

Lakeslover

Same answer still works! I second the use of tegaderm. It stops my sensors being knocked off accidentally and allows me to swim for more than 30 mins several times a week. I buy my tegaderm in packs of 10 on Amazon.

Pauly1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kind of related, but Is there a way to see the actual time the sensor will end (I know it gives the countdown on the last day but, I need to know before) I’m away when it should expire (only out for the day) so deciding if need to take a replacement or hust wait until home

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kind of related, but Is there a way to see the actual time the sensor will end (I know it gives the countdown on the last day but, I need to know before) I’m away when it should expire (only out for the day) so deciding if need to take a replacement or hust wait until home
It is some time since I used a Libre so not sure about a sensor end time.
However, you can apply your new sensor on your other arm before your current one expires and then start it up when you are out.
I always did this because I found the first day or two of readings was unreliable as my body familiarised itself with the alien object in my arm. If I applied the sensor before a day or two before activating, it was more reliable for me.

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're using the reader, you can find this in Sensor Info page (click the cog icon for Settings, click down twice for System Status, then click System Info). It will tell you the date you started the sensor (add 14 days) and the time the sensor will end.

I'm sure where this info is in the app. I can find the sensor details, but it doesn't have the time info (I'm on Android). Maybe someone can guide you to it if you're not using the reader.

I usually write the date and time I start a sensor on the inside of the box's lid and I hold onto it until the sensor ends. This helps me remember when I need to change it, or how long it actually lasted if I need to report it to Abbott.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Android app Juggluco (alongside LibreLink) for CGM. It not only shows the sensor end date and time, but it will set a calendar entry for it as well!