Tattoos for injection rotation?

AnnaE

I always forget where I have and have not recently I texted insulin on my abdot. I am considering getting a tattoo on my abdomen to a. Help with this and b. Look cool.

Are there any reasons why o shouldn't? Will the tattoo interfere with insulin absorption?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AnnaE ,

Welcome to the forum.

There's no reason why you shouldn't get a tattoo done. Though I would be wary regarding disturbing it during the healing process? (As part of the aftercare.)

I do have some ink on my upper leg, though I've never injected into it. (More on the side of the thigh.)

Another thought is logging injection sites into an app? I use a freestyle Libre with the Glimp app on my phone as a reader which gives L/R flank or L/R navel in stomach then offers the next site as an option. Same with finger rotation too..
Other logging apps alow the user to take notes which can help.

You may not have a flash sensor, but the free app (no adds.) may help in the interim whilst you decide on the right ink work for you..

I'll tag in @therower & @LooperCat to say hello, who I think are inked..

Reactions: Juicyj

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Get a tattoo just to look cool, you’ll possibly forget which bit of it you’ve injected in anyway :D
I’ve got a few, but enough spare space to stick my pump and CGM so I don’t tend to make holes in the ink. Probably because there’s always the risk of an infected site (I’ve had just one in the 14 months I’ve had a pump) which would spoil it - plus lumps and bumps that we can develop over the years. They do recommend not to inject/pump/apply CGM onto ink, so I don’t unless it’s completely avoidable. That has influenced where I’ve had tattoos to an extent. All this talk makes me want another one...:rolleyes:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not sure I’d be wanting to inject into an inked area on a regular basis and definitely not within a few months of having a new tattoo.
I occasionally inject upper arms where I do have tattoos but they have been there 30 yrs +. Never had any problems, but they are quite old tattoos.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm don't inject insulin, but isn't there also a risk of lipohypertrophy in any given area used a lot for injections? I'm wondering if laying down a "map" could increase the chances of over using any given area?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have heard of a map being used for injections to help people - am sure @himtoo knows about this so he's been tagged :)

Reactions: himtoo and porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't it be easier to make something like this to use?
Dr9WxeiWsAA821e.jpg

Reactions: porl69

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the picture just above my post is an injection grid.
If you are interested I can post some out to you ---the tattoo isn't a terrible idea but using a grid is much easier , quicker too as you wouldn't need to wait for a tattoo to heal.

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't it be easier to make something like this to use?
Dr9WxeiWsAA821e.jpg

When I was first diagnosed back in the mid 1970s. Leg injections were the advised "thing" for me..
I had a printed image given to me at the time of two human legs which was mapped out like a "butcher's choice cut" for days of the week, to help site rotation..

I have this tattooed image in my head now of angel wings either side of the belly button with Monday, Tuesday etc enscribed in the feathers...? :cool: :)

Reactions: Struma and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a printed image given to me at the time of two human legs which was mapped out like a "butcher's choice cut" for days of the week, to help site rotation..
When starting injections my practice nurse offered me something like the picture above but I declined.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When starting injections my practice nurse offered me something like the picture above but I declined.

It'd be quite fetching as it's coming up to Halloween.. Jason from Friday the 13th? ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the responses! This is all really helpful

No problems.Sorry about some of the"humour..." :)

Take your time with your idea &choose what is right for you..

On reflection, if I had placed my "biomechanical" style tatt on my stomach & mirror'd it? It may have served to aid rotation of the sites...

Good luck with your choice & get references from a reputable artist. ;)