An Explosive Situation !

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Not sure where to post this but here seems as good as any as I'm Type 2.

I'm partial to sugar free mints and am careful how many I have as I know they have laxative properties but I've been fine with them. My usual ones weren't available so I bought some Smints, they're in a small tin, fifty in a pack and about the size of tablets, never had them before. I was having only four or five a day.

At the same time, I was prescribed Lansaprazole for my acid reflux.

I have to say that I spent the first week not moving far from the bathroom and assumed that it was my new medication so thought I'd better persevere. A few days after this, I couldn't handle it any longer as it was getting ridiculous, I stopped taking them, intending to see my GP.

No improvement ! Then I finished the tin of Smints and after only two days my upset stomach was back to normal. I was a bit suspicious and Googled Smints as absolutely no information on the tin ~ apparently they contain sorbitol, aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame k !!! Talk about overload of sweeteners !!

I've been taking Lansaprazole again for nearly two weeks and no problem whatsoever. Pleased that I never got round to seeing my GP as would've felt a bit foolish !

Am I the only one ? Has anyone else had problems with sweeteners when only consuming small amounts ?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you got to the bottom of it.........:playful::hilarious:

:sorry:

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorbitol is likely to be the cause of your problem. I have had to stop buying various sugar-free sweets because of the same issue. If they're in the house, I can't resist them in spite of their dramatic effects. It only takes around half a dozen to cause disaster.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm partial to sugar free mints and am careful how many I have as I know they have laxative properties but I've been fine with them. My usual ones weren't available so I bought some Smints, they're in a small tin, fifty in a pack and about the size of tablets, never had them before. I was having only four or five a day.

I have to say that I spent the first week not moving far from the bathroom and assumed that it was my new medication so thought I'd better persevere. A few days after this, I couldn't handle it any longer as it was getting ridiculous, I stopped taking them, intending to see my GP.

No improvement ! Then I finished the tin of Smints and after only two days my upset stomach was back to normal. I was a bit suspicious and Googled Smints as absolutely no information on the tin ~ apparently they contain sorbitol, aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame k !!! Talk about overload of sweeteners !!

I've been taking Lansaprazole again for nearly two weeks and no problem whatsoever. Pleased that I never got round to seeing my GP as would've felt a bit foolish !

Am I the only one ? Has anyone else had problems with sweeteners when only consuming small amounts ?

I always have Smints to hand and never had a problem. The information is on the plastic wrapping that covers the tin.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Sorbitol is likely to be the cause of your problem. I have had to stop buying various sugar-free sweets because of the same issue. If they're in the house, I can't resist them in spite of their dramatic effects. It only takes around half a dozen to cause disaster.

Same for me, any of the sugar alcohols with the exception of erythritol.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh yeah. I can't even look at a sweetener tablet anymore without getting cramps. I had about 50 a day at one point (a lot of tea with 5 pills each, it added up), plus diet coke with the same stuff in it... Guess I went a little overboard, haha. Seriously though... It wasn't until I read an article about how sweetener kills gut bacteria which was shared on the forum, that I figured out what the problem was. By then I'd been suffering for months. So yay for running out of Smints, and discovering the issue sooner than I did! :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep! I like sugar free chewing gum but if I overindulge then I can expect to be on the loo more than usual. x

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Thanks for the info everyone, glad to know I'm not the only one. Not glad you have the same problem, you know what I mean !

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat various makes of sugar free sweets and mints and have never had a problem with them

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's well known issue with sugar alchohols/polyols, with, as @Tophat1900 suggested, the exception of erythritol. Some people may be more sensitive than others so it's worth being aware of this , checking anything sweet with "sugar free" labelling, and consuming with caution.

Reactions: Tophat1900