Advise needed on HBAC1 result

Hi everyone!!!
I had gestational diabetes 13 years ago and still take x3 Metformin a day. Over the past few months (and before if I think about my health) I have felt really unwell. GP linked it to anxiety as it was so hard to explain how I feel, but I know that’s not the full story. Had bloods and HBA1 is at 78mmol and my blood pressure is super high, 190 systolic. Is this within normal ranges for a type 2 or really bad!!!! Seeing diabetes nurse for an emergency appt in the morning, but wanted some support and others opinions and experiences.

Last edited:

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum. It's good you are seeing your
nurse in the morning. If your numbers are correct they do seem very high. If you are feeling extremely bad, you should go to emergency at your hospital. I don't know what else to say. Hopefully one of the members who are more knowledgeable than I am will answer shortly.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @sammydaviesjnr

Are you sure about the units you are quoting.................
upload_2019-11-6_13-28-56.png

..........If your a1c was up at 78% then I doubt you'd be in an upright position! Maybe an average of 7.8mmol/L, or even 78mmol/mol which is a little above 9%.
In the UK, anything above 6.5% is regarded as being diabetic. So although you probably need to take action, many of us have had much higher numbers at diagnosis (I was up at 31mmol/L).

Check this link for more information on A1c numbers....
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Reactions: ziggy_w and Diakat

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You give an a1c number but do you test your glucose levels? Do you know what your glucose is at now?

Hi @sammydaviesjnr

Are you sure about the units you are quoting.................
View attachment 36592

..........If your a1c was up at 78% then I doubt you'd be in an upright position! Maybe an average of 7.8mmol/L, or even 78mmol/mol which is a little above 9%.
In the UK, anything above 6.5% is regarded as being diabetic. So although you probably need to take action, many of us have had much higher numbers at diagnosis (I was up at 31mmol/L).

Check this link for more information on A1c

Hi, I must be wrong then. It was the blood test that shows your 3 month average result?

Welcome to the forum. It's good you are seeing your
nurse in the morning. If your numbers are correct they do seem very high. If you are feeling extremely bad, you should go to emergency at your hospital. I don't know what else to say. Hopefully one of the members who are more knowledgeable than I am will answer shortly.
I think I got the wrong test name!! it was the 3 month blood result. So I don’t know. X

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yes, A1c is the 3 month figure. I am only questioning the units since at 78'%' you would most likely be suffering serious ill effects.

edited to add: @sammydaviesjnr , I hope that I am not appearing to be rude or overly pedantic but when seeking help from forum members it is quite important to get this stuff right or you risk being mis-informed.

Last edited:
Reactions: sammydaviesjnr

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hba1c can be measured in different units (top 2 rows), just like blood glucose (the other 2 rows). The USA uses %, other countries (like mine) mmol/mol.
Looks like the hba1c number of 78 is right, only a slight confusion between % and mmol/mol.
image-asset.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it must be mmol. Sorry for the confusion. I’m just confused generally about all this x
No need to apologise, having diabetes simply is a confusing business with a whole new vocabulary to learn as well ;)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think it must be mmol. Sorry for the confusion. I’m just confused generally about all this x

No worries, it's a lot to take in, we've all been there - which is the great thing about these forums, you're amongst friends.

So relax and put your feet up.

Your first meeting may be to discuss medication and even change in lifestyle and diet - don't sweat it.

No worries, it's a lot to take in, we've all been there - which is the great thing about these forums, you're amongst friends.

So relax and put your feet up.

Your first meeting may be to discuss medication and even change in lifestyle and diet - don't sweat it.
I am already low carb with exercise, but feel so unwell it’s hard to describe x:confused:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone!!!
I had gestational diabetes 13 years ago and still take x3 Metformin a day. Over the past few months (and before if I think about my health) I have felt really unwell. GP linked it to anxiety as it was so hard to explain how I feel, but I know that’s not the full story. Had bloods and HBA1 is at 78mmol and my blood pressure is super high, 190 systolic. Is this within normal ranges for a type 2 or really bad!!!! Seeing diabetes nurse for an emergency appt in the morning, but wanted some support and others opinions and experiences.

Hi @sammydaviesjnr,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, I agree with others, the HbA1c is a bit high. However, as @urbanracer has mentioned many of us had much higher HbA1c levels at diagnosis and are now doing fine.

If it is Type 2 diabetes, which is likely given your earlier diagnosis of gestational diabetes, changing your way of eating can help greatly. Personally, I started with an HbA1c of 100 and am now down to normal non-diabetic levels of 29 for the last four years without any medication. So, don't give up hope.

Have a look around the forum and ask away. Lots of friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people here.

Edited to add -- Are you testing your blood sugar levels when you are feeling unwell? There are several possible reasons for feeling unwell. Glucose could be lower than usual (and what you're feeling is a false hypo because your body is used to much higher levels), it could be high (and this could be the reason for feeling bad) or you could be suffering from keto/low carb flu. Glucose meters can provide tons of helpful information.

Reactions: mojo37

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have always been told I dont need to test my sugars, I might be discussing that point at the appointment tomorrow!:pompous:

From the experience of moderating these forums, the NHS tells T2's this because it doesn't want the expense of providing meters and test strips. Many T2 forum members end up buying their own meter.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been told I dont need to test my sugars, I might be discussing that point at the appointment tomorrow!:pompous:

Hi @sammydaviesjnr,

Agree with @urbanracer -- the reason we T2s are told not to test blood sugars has probably other than medical reasons. Testing blood sugars really helps us learn how different food impact blood sugar levels. The rule is that the rise should be no more than 2 mmol two hours after your first bite of food. If the rise is higher than this, reduce the portion size or eliminate the food altogether. Once you've tested the same food several times, you can reduce your testing.

So, in the beginning most of us tend to test at least 8 times a day. When getting up (fasting levels), before breakfast, two hours after breakfast, before lunch, two hours after lunch, before dinner, two hours after dinner, and before going to bed (to get an idea of your overnight rise).

Tagging @Rachox, who has some great information on inexpensive glucose meters and strips. (Cost of strips is the most important concern as this tends to add up, especially in the beginning.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi sammydaviesjnr
Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Hi @sammydaviesjnr,

Agree with @urbanracer -- the reason we T2s are told not to test blood sugars has probably other than medical reasons. Testing blood sugars really helps us learn how different food impact blood sugar levels. The rule is that the rise should be no more than 2 mmol two hours after your first bite of food. If the rise is higher than this, reduce the portion size or eliminate the food altogether. Once you've tested the same food several times, you can reduce your testing.

So, in the beginning most of us tend to test at least 8 times a day. When getting up (fasting levels), before breakfast, two hours after breakfast, before lunch, two hours after lunch, before dinner, two hours after dinner, and before going to bed (to get an idea of your overnight rise).

Tagging @Rachox, who has some great information on inexpensive glucose meters and strips. (Cost of strips is the most important concern as this tends to add up, especially in the beginning.)
Thanks Ziggy. When I feel super bad and rough like I always do, I find it really frustrating that I can’t check what’s going on, so I have to kind of guess which sometimes works and sometimes REALLY doesn’t!