Advice on winter boots.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the last 5 years I have had 3 falls during winter and sustained a fracture each time. I recently fell after slipping on a wet patch and broke my leg. I'm due to start physio over the winter months. My problem is I'm now a nervous wreck and have lost all confidence in my ability to go outside. I've become a little agoraphobic.

My husband has been very encouraging and supportive in trying to get me out and about but even walking from door to car I'm afraid of slipping on leaves etc.

So my question is has anyone a good pair of winter boots they could recommend? I have looked online but it's hard to tell from the pics and some dont show the soles.

Thank you in advance :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, @sjm 1308 - That's a tough run of luck! Are your feet OK, in terms of full sensation or do you have any numb patches?

I'm certainly not making any judgements on you or the falls you've had, but have you had your bone density checked, to ensure they're as strong as you can manage? Osteopenia leading onto osteoporosis is a sneaky condition that can creep up on a person.

Due to some medication I have just started (nothing to do with diabetes), I had a DXA, bone density, scan on Tuesday. All-in, it took about 15 minutes to check in, have my height/weight measured and the scan. I'll get the results in due course.

It could be worth checking, and the scans don't cost much at all.

As for your question on boots, I have some fabulously comfy Rohde and some Ecco boots, which have good soles on them.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I shall have a look now at those you mentioned!

Having gone through menopause at a very early age (16) I have bone density scans every 5 years and am oesteoperenia.
Gosh, @sjm 1308 - That's a tough run of luck! Are your feet OK, in terms of full sensation or do you have any numb patches?

I'm certainly not making any judgements on you or the falls you've had, but have you had your bone density checked, to ensure they're as strong as you can manage? Osteopenia leading onto osteoporosis is a sneaky condition that can creep up on a person.

Due to some medication I have just started (nothing to do with diabetes), I had a DXA, bone density, scan on Tuesday. All-in, it took about 15 minutes to check in, have my height/weight measured and the scan. I'll get the results in due course.

It could be worth checking, and the scans don't cost much at all.

As for your question on boots, I have some fabulously comfy Rohde and some Ecco boots, which have good soles on them.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I shall have a look now at those you mentioned!

Having gone through menopause at a very early age (16) I have bone density scans every 5 years and am oesteoperenia.

Oh boy. Your teen years must have been "challenging"!

Reactions: sjm1308

Mister LJ

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Well if you don't mind wearing builders boots... Dikkies Rigger boots are fantastic being as they are a safety boot, non slip, fur lined, etc. Your feet will be so warm and they are easy to pull on and take off.
EE3CF05D-FA9E-4FFB-BDA5-03CD5E8C4A1E-large.jpg

Reactions: sjm1308

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont mind about style/fashion at all so went straight to check these out as they sound perfect for me but unfortunately they dont come in my size, a tiny size 3.
Well if you don't mind wearing builders boots... Dikkies Rigger boots are fantastic being as they are a safety boot, non slip, fur lined, etc. Your feet will be so warm and they are easy to pull on and take off.
EE3CF05D-FA9E-4FFB-BDA5-03CD5E8C4A1E-large.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont mind about style/fashion at all so went straight to check these out as they sound perfect for me but unfortunately they dont come in my size, a tiny size 3.

I am the same size as you. Clarks and M&S children's ranges have some great boots. In fact I'm wearing a pair of M&S Chelsea style boots (with jeans) right now!