Not Driving

Laconic

Do Dvla need to be told if you’ve been diagnosed diabetic and what medication you are on, if you have no intention to drive until in remission and off meds?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Do Dvla need to be told if you’ve been diagnosed diabetic and what medication you are on, if you have no intention to drive until in remission and off meds?

DVLA need to be told if you're taking meds that are capable of producing hypoglycemia. So this would include insulins and sulphonylureas (like Gliclazide).

If you're on Metformin, then you don't have to tell them.

M

Member496333

I would expect - but don't know - that the intention to drive or not drive is irrelevant in the eyes of the law. My assumption would be that if you hold a current, valid driving license and you are using insulin or oral hypoglycaemic medicines - as described by @urbanracer - then you are obliged to inform the DVLA.

Laconic

I was under the impression that the doctor would tell the DVLA, he asked me if I drive to which I replied I am not driving at the moment and he said that was fine

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was under the impression that the doctor would tell the DVLA, he asked me if I drive to which I replied I am not driving at the moment and he said that was fine

What med's are you on?

I don't think a doctor would contact DVLA unless he/she believed that you were a danger to yourself and others. This scenario might happen if you lost hypo awareness.

On the other hand, DVLA might contact your doctor for medical history once they've been notified of a medical condition.

Last edited:

Laconic

Metformin and Gliclazide although only on Gliclazide for a month according to Government website don’t need to inform DVLA if on insulin medication for less than 3 months
5CAB856F-1A0C-4291-B978-E7E23CAF602A.png

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a little aside to the DVLA stuff, you do have to let your car insurer know your diagnosis, though it shouldn’t affect your premiums.

Reactions: Janslv