HbA1C test question

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How can it give the average for 3 months in one test? Just wondering.....

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
How can it give the average for 3 months in one test? Just wondering.....
.... because it isn't an "average", although that is an easy way of describing it. In simple terms, glucose in your blood sticks to red blood cells, they become "glycated". But your red blood cells only have a life span of about 3 months, so they keep on being replaced with fresh ones. If you've had a lot of glucose/sugar over the past 3 months, many more red blood cells will be glycated. Because of the way it works, over indulgence from 2 months ago will show up less than similar from a couple of weeks before the test.
Sally

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c is an indication of what the average blood sugar has been. If I were to measure the height of my grass I would get an indication of what the average rainfall had been since I last cut it, without measuring any actual rain.

Reactions: EllieM

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
All you really need to know is that the HBA1c test is a lot more meaningful than pricking your finger, even if you prick it a dozen times a day. While my GP was waiting for my HBA1c test to come through he pricked my finger and got a completely normal reading of 4.0. Five minutes later my HBA1c test showed I was fully T2 diabetic with a reading of 53.

Reactions: angustia

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
All you really need to know is that the HBA1c test is a lot more meaningful than pricking your finger, even if you prick it a dozen times a day. While my GP was waiting for my HBA1c test to come through he pricked my finger and got a completely normal reading of 4.0. Five minutes later my HBA1c test showed I was fully T2 diabetic with a reading of 53.
Not exactly, both have uses. The a1c won’t show if a high is “balanced” by some hypo time.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i found the reverse

At morning i check my FBG
pre food i check and post food (2hrs) i check

that for me is more important than some measure of the average, that i can't affect IF i don't know
the daily scores and what is impacting them if higher then expected.

Your example is off, if i may say.

i could test my finger at any point and be below at or above average for ME and the range for T2D
and i'd still be type 2 after.
it tells me nothing if not in context.

the input of sugars/carbs/glucose + dawn phenomena, IS that context
Pre.. it's where you start, Post it's where the amount of sugars /carbs/ glucose leads you

and that tells you ALL you need to know about how THAT food item/s impacted (or not) your Glucose levels.
and that is the dog wagging the tail of the HBA1c, not the other way around, imho

Last edited:

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
i found the reverse

At morning i check my FBG
pre food i check and post food (2hrs) i check

that for me is more important than some measure of the average, that i can't affect IF i don't know
the daily scores and what is impacting them if higher then expected.

Your example is off, if i may say.

i could test my finger at any point and be below at or above average for ME and the range for T2D
and i'd still be type 2 after.
it tells me nothing if not in context.

the input of sugars/carbs/glucose + dawn phenomena, IS that context
Pre.. it's where you start, Post it's where the amount of sugars /carbs/ glucose leads you

and that tells you ALL you need to know about how THAT food item/s impacted (or not) your Glucose levels.
and that is the dog wagging the tail of the HBA1c, not the other way around, imho
Quite right. I test myself every day, but it is my HBA1C test that tells me how well I'm doing.

Reactions: angustia and jjraak

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my test done on Nov 21. The results get passed to my doc.
Supposed to have my doctor's appointment on the 9th of Dec.....her secretary called today and had to postpone till the 17th. Arrrrgh! Yes, she had already seen the results. The suspense is killing me!!!!

On the other hand, it couldn't be that bad if she doesn't want to see me asap!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my test done on Nov 21. The results get passed to my doc.
Supposed to have my doctor's appointment on the 9th of Dec.....her secretary called today and had to postpone till the 17th. Arrrrgh! Yes, she had already seen the results. The suspense is killing me!!!!

On the other hand, it couldn't be that bad if she doesn't want to see me asap!

Haven't you asked for a print out? You are entitled to one, and it is best to know the results before you see the doctor so you can prepare what to say.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't you asked for a print out? You are entitled to one, and it is best to know the results before you see the doctor so you can prepare what to say.

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. The doc sent me to an independent lab (Dynacare).
That lab apparently sent my results to the doc's office the next day.

Should I ask for a print out from the doc's secretary, or from the lab?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. The doc sent me to an independent lab (Dynacare).

I think @Bluetit1802 's advice is for the UK but it may well apply in Canada. Always try to get some actual figures, doctors often give vague results like "nothing to worry about".

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @Bluetit1802 's advice is for the UK but it may well apply in Canada. Always try to get some actual figures, doctors often give vague results like "nothing to worry about".

She gave me a copy of the print when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I kept that in my file.
I'll make sure to ask for a copy every time from now on. They'll serve as another incentive to keep aiming for targets!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

So sorry, I didn't realise you are in Canada where it may be different. However, @Mr_Pot said, you should try for some actual figures which your doctor will have, so ask his secretary for them.