BG ALWAYS high after evening meal

hrpuffnstuff

Hi all...newbie to the forums, diabetic 20+ years
Just found out I've been on the wrong insulin all that time (was taking 2 x long acting per day over 80 units)

Anyways...DAFNE completed BG is monitored now but BG is always HIGH after evening meal.
During the day I'm below 7.00
After evening ,meal 12.+

Yes im counting carbs,
yes Im counting correctly
Im correction dose
I take Levemir 9am
I take levemir 9pm
Still High after evening meal
11pm still high
3am down to 6.4 (this morning for example)
I would normally go to Diabetes centre and ask, but they're sooo short staff, so with respect im asking on here

Dafne course completed 6 weeks ago, so been counting carbs for 6 weeks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forums :)
I have some quick questions for you:
Are you T2? (I'm assuming so because a T1 without fast-acting insulin or using mixed insulin would not last 20 years, no matter what)
You say you're making correction doses - with what? the Levemir? I ask because you can't do correction doses with Levemir

Some T2's are only put on long acting insulin, and many who use Levemir need to take it twice daily (T1's included) as it doesn't last for 24 hours.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hrpuffnstuff first thing to say which to me is the most obvious is that your evening I:C ratio may be different from the rest of the day? You make no reference to I:C ratios so assume your set to one all day?

Also you don't mention how many carbs you normally have in your evening meal, and in fact what it normally is? Rice/pasta dish with a good amount of fat can affect your BGs for many hours after the insulin has worn off but if it's lowish in carbs perhaps the protein and/or fat needs to be considered too?

edited to add: Oh and welcome BTW!

hrpuffnstuff

Are you T2? (I'm assuming so because a T1 without fast-acting insulin or using mixed insulin would not last 20 years, no matter what)
Well ...you're talking to one...not flaming you, but i wouldn't write things that arent true...no need
I never ever took fast acting never, and im still here, this July I was rushed into ICU with double Kidney infection amonsgt other problems thats when they found out

You say you're making correction doses - with what? the Levemir? I ask because you can't do correction doses with Levemir
NO Levemir is a BI insulin only, I didnt think it mattered saying what Bosul Im on but its Nova Rapid
Sorry my bad..I'm tsp 1

Reactions: slip

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I think I just assumed you were T2, as many get started on just the long-acting, and since you didn't mention the Novorapid I wrongly assumed, oops :) - sometimes I read things a bit too literally

As @slip says it may just being your carb ratio is wrong for the evening, many of us have different ratios for different times of the days.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you go high after your evening meal but have good numbers the rest of the day it sounds like you need more novorapid for your meal. Can you talk you your HCP to ask about that?

hrpuffnstuff

@hrpuffnstuff first thing to say which to me is the most obvious is that your evening I:C ratio may be different from the rest of the day? You make no reference to I:C ratios so assume your set to one all day?

Also you don't mention how many carbs you normally have in your evening meal, and in fact what it normally is? Rice/pasta dish with a good amount of fat can affect your BGs for many hours after the insulin has worn off but if it's lowish in carbs perhaps the protein and/or fat needs to be considered too?

edited to add: Oh and welcome BTW!

All bosul is one & half to one carbs
Carbs at night is normally around 70/80
2 potatoes along with meat & veg
All day before and after meals BG is like around 6--8
its just the evening meal I cant control.
Yes i have cut down carbs to zero on some days.
only drinking water, this all at 6-30pm
at around 10pm BG is like 14--19

hrpuffnstuff

Sorry I think I just assumed you were T2, as many get started on just the long-acting, and since you didn't mention the Novorapid I wrongly assumed, oops :) - sometimes I read things a bit too literally

As @slip says it may just being your carb ratio is wrong for the evening, many of us have different ratios for different times of the days.

Hi...its OK Im newbie on here and I shouldve posted more info if i wanted answers..no problem
Yes dietician said it could be carbs are eithr wrongly counted (double check now)
or wrong ratio, so we upped the ratio to one half insulin to carbs for all day
STILL i got high BG around 10pm (after taking Basal)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking your novorapid 20 minutes before you eat? My nurse told me 1 unit novorapid for 10g carbs.

hrpuffnstuff

Are you taking your novorapid 20 minutes before you eat? My nurse told me 1 unit novorapid for 10g carbs.
Being really truthful I do sometimes forget, strange that as I was just reading on the www about this and they say on BG high after a meal could be WONG CARB COUNT or NOT TAKING 15 MINUTES BEFORE A MEAL
So now the alarms is set...LOL