Hi, I’m new

Mrs12

Hi everyone.

Just thought I’d say hi to all here.
I’ve joined for advice and support really. Not been diagnosed as diabetic but have been having some symptoms for a while now but have been burying my head in the sand. They’ve been getting progressively worse and experiencing them every day now so going to try to get a GP appointment ASAP.

Owe this to my work colleague really as id never have considered going to GP really if it wasn’t for her. She’s type 1 and said a lot of the ailments I’ve complained about may well point to diabetes.

I’ll keep you all posted on how I get on

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Mrs12! Well done for going for a GP appointment. A blood test is the only way to determine if you are diabetic.
Let us know the result, and if it turns out you are diabetic you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.

Mrs12

Welcome to the forum @Mrs12! Well done for going for a GP appointment. A blood test is the only way to determine if you are diabetic.
Let us know the result, and if it turns out you are diabetic you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.

Thank you

I don’t even know how to approach the appointment to be honest so some advice would be appreciated.

Things I’ve been feeling are:
1) constant tiredness (which I used to blame on the young kids)
2) extreme thirst (which I put down to feeling more thirsty due to starting working out)
3) waking at night to wee multiple times (which I put down to drinking more)
4) blurry vision (which I put down to needing new glasses - hasn’t changed which new script)
5) dizziness when I haven’t eaten for a while, which improves briefly after food them comes back again after within an hour or so of food

Only thing I haven’t found is weight loss. But then that might be because I’m hungry all the time. Who knows?!

Anyway, should I just write all this down and take it to the GP?

Thanks

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mrs12 and welcome!
I often take a note to my Dr appointments, so as not to miss anything important out, which otherwise I’m sure to remember just as I shut the door on the way out. It’s all too easy to pass symptoms off as getting old, the weather etc... it’s always wise to get checked out. Let us know how you get on.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you

I don’t even know how to approach the appointment to be honest so some advice would be appreciated.

Things I’ve been feeling are:
1) constant tiredness (which I used to blame on the young kids)
2) extreme thirst (which I put down to feeling more thirsty due to starting working out)
3) waking at night to wee multiple times (which I put down to drinking more)
4) blurry vision (which I put down to needing new glasses - hasn’t changed which new script)
5) dizziness when I haven’t eaten for a while, which improves briefly after food them comes back again after within an hour or so of food

Only thing I haven’t found is weight loss. But then that might be because I’m hungry all the time. Who knows?!

Anyway, should I just write all this down and take it to the GP?

Thanks

Hi there, please let us know the outcome. I had all of those symptoms apart from number 5, the improvement following dizziness when you eat I'm afraid I'm not familiar with. x

mouseee

I had all of those and more before being dxd t2. Weight went up rather than down. It seems more common for t1s to lose weight not T2. It's all to do with being insulin resistance rather than producing no insulin like t1s.

Definitely make that appointment. If you ring them and tell them symptoms then they may well see you sooner. I emailed and had blood test the same day.

Mrs12

Thanks everyone.

That’s interesting about t2 commonly gaining weight rather than losing. Why is that?

Hopefully I can get an appointment soon, my doctors is not the best, we’ve had 5 separate surgeries merge into 2 recently. Had to wait 12 weeks for a cervical screening appointment so no idea how long I’ll have to wait. I guess if I tell them I’m worried about diabetes they will see me sooner? Would seeing a practice nurse instead of a GP to get a sooner appointment be a suitable choice?

Thanks

mouseee

We have an email service. I emailed explained symptoms and that I suspected diabetes. I also have a family history so I had alarm bells. She booked me a blood test with a nurse that day and rang me the next with results. Haven't actually physically seen a Dr at all!

I would ring and state your symptoms and see what they say. I would try and speak to someone if you can.

The weight gain is to do with insulin. Insulin is the hormone that 'unlocks' blood cells to let the glucose in. If your body isn't using it properly then the insulin stores it as fat, often around your middle. There are much more biologically accurate ways of explaining it but that's enough for now! And someone else will be able to explain it much better than me (and correct any mistakes I've made!)

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Reemap

Hi everyone.

Just thought I’d say hi to all here.
I’ve joined for advice and support really. Not been diagnosed as diabetic but have been having some symptoms for a while now but have been burying my head in the sand. They’ve been getting progressively worse and experiencing them every day now so going to try to get a GP appointment ASAP.

Owe this to my work colleague really as id never have considered going to GP really if it wasn’t for her. She’s type 1 and said a lot of the ailments I’ve complained about may well point to diabetes.

I’ll keep you all posted on how I get on
Hello, welcome to the forum. Keep us posted with your results..hope you will not be diabetic.. and if you are this forum will really help to deal with the situation.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone.

That’s interesting about t2 commonly gaining weight rather than losing. Why is that?

Hopefully I can get an appointment soon, my doctors is not the best, we’ve had 5 separate surgeries merge into 2 recently. Had to wait 12 weeks for a cervical screening appointment so no idea how long I’ll have to wait. I guess if I tell them I’m worried about diabetes they will see me sooner? Would seeing a practice nurse instead of a GP to get a sooner appointment be a suitable choice?

Thanks

Hi there, with your symptoms you should be classed as an emergency appointment at the very least. At this stage they would not know what the actual issue is but as far as anyone knows it COULD be type 1 which if left untreated for even a few days could be very serious. I don't say this to alarm you and hopefully that's not what it is but the Dr's receptionist needs to know that it needs seeing to now. Also if I were you I would go and buy a glucose meter and test yourself. I did this whilst waiting a day before an appointment and when I saw my reading was over 30 (ie high) the Dr saw me straightaway. x