SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
9780857836229_L.jpg

Forget the Daily Mail ad but the recipes are magic, lots of things from different countries. £6 in the Works. I borrowed it first from the library to have a look at the contents. For those who may be interested, it gives the carbs per portion

Reactions: Guzzler and porl69

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, some of us have been using the book and the recipes are lovely. I would recommend it, too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful if you buy it on line, some sites are selling a download rather than a hard copy, but they don't make that clear.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Already got it thanks to a lovely poster's recommendation a while back! You're right Sue, it's a fab book. x

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Already got it thanks to a lovely poster's recommendation a while back! You're right Sue, it's a fab book. x
Must have missed that post @KK123, probably just starting the D journey as a T1. Looking forward to cooking up some storms

Reactions: jjraak

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the book and read it a while ago - all I need to do now is cook from it!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler thanks, I like sharing stuff as a newcomer even though it might be obvious for others
As the forum gets new members almost every day it is great that resources are shared regularly. It's all good.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am also a fan of this book and it has the Unwins in it so can't be bad!
Found the puddings useful recently when called upon to make a sugar /carb free cake for an 80th!

Reactions: SueJB

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must have missed that post @KK123, probably just starting the D journey as a T1. Looking forward to cooking up some storms

I do believe it was Guzzler! Thanks for the post though Sue, it tells those who didn't see the other posts and that's a good thing. x

Last edited:
Reactions: SueJB and jjraak

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am running a diabetes risk event this Saturday and am just compiling a useful books list. Do you lot have any you would add to the following:
The Diabetes Code (Fung)
Carbs and Cals and World Foods (Carbs and Cals)
Fat Chance ( Lustig)
The Weight Loss Diabetes cook book mentioned above
Bright Spots and Landmines (Brown)
The Diabetic Solution (Bernstein)
Whw We Get Fat and The Case Against Sugar (Taubes)
The Blood Sugar Diet (Mosely)

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nicole - I can't add anything in I'm afraid but it's a great idea. I hope things go well.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am running a diabetes risk event this Saturday and am just compiling a useful books list. Do you lot have any you would add to the following:
The Diabetes Code (Fung)
Carbs and Cals and World Foods (Carbs and Cals)
Fat Chance ( Lustig)
The Weight Loss Diabetes cook book mentioned above
Bright Spots and Landmines (Brown)
The Diabetic Solution (Bernstein)
Whw We Get Fat and The Case Against Sugar (Taubes)
The Blood Sugar Diet (Mosely)

Hi Nicole,
This isn't a book, but I feel that it explains carbs in the simplest possible terms for the ordinary person in the street. Dr Unwin's Sugar Equivalent Infographics : https://phcuk.org/sugar/

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought the book a while ago but found quite a few of the recipes were too carb heavy for me.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nicole,
This isn't a book, but I feel that it explains carbs in the simplest possible terms for the ordinary person in the street. Dr Unwin's Sugar Equivalent Infographics : https://phcuk.org/sugar/
Thanks. I have downloaded a bunch of them as they have a great impact.
We )Diabetes UK)will be inside the Co-Op store doing 'Know Your Risk' (of type 2)in between the healthy wholegrains and Quality Street tins so very relevant!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@NicoleC1971 The obesity Code also by Fung. It covers a few bits in the diabetes code but definitely worth a read. I found it very interesting although I didn’t/don’t need to lose weight.