Keto diet helps prevent flu infection

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
The daily mail reports that a Low-carb diet may boost immunity.

My wife has been ill with flu for four weeks now, so far I have not caught it. I am, and have been, ketogenic for around 5 years. Both of us have had the flu jab!. Has anyone else ketogenic experienced evidence of this.

The mail reports that:-
Healthy eating contributes to a more robust immune system, which improves your chances of preventing flu infection.

But could a low-carb ‘ketogenic’ diet, similar to the controversial Atkins diet, help fight off the virus once you have caught it?

A study published last month found mice put on an Atkins-like diet made up of meat, fish, poultry and non-starchy vegetables survived flu infection better than those on a conventional diet.

In tests at Yale University, it was found that the high-fat, lowcarbohydrate diet triggered the release of immune cells which boosted mucus production in the cells lining the lungs.

This extra mucus trapped the flu virus before it could spread and make things worse — effectively ‘taming’ the flu.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Touch wood, but I’ve not had anything since doing Keto . The rest of the family have gone down with things but I never catch it. I definitely think there is something in it. One of my kids follows lower carb and he only ever gets a sniffle compared to everyone else with a full blown cold.

I’ve just jinxed myself, haven’t I....!

Hotpepper20000

I work with small children and even though they have colds and other nasty bugs I haven't had a cold or flu since I started LCHF.
I’m not Keto though. I think if the body is getting what it needs it’s easier to stay healthy. That includes good sleep and lower inflammation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flora123

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting to hear individual stories.
I have two slight concerns over the original story (but thank you for posting it)
1. Daily Mail
2. Mice

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hmm..mm. Agree with Redshank particularly as mice don't usually eat meat, poultry etc. Extrapolating mice models to humans is so dubious!
To say nothing of the science journalism of the Daily Mail. Probably written by mice.

Reactions: Redshank
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am not a keto diet and 30 years type 1 so I'm happy to say, I have never had flu :)