Received my HBA1c results today

sueykidd

Hi everyone

I was tested two years ago and my HBA1c was 34, next one was 45 (I was also taking prednisolone) I was then retested six months later at 35. I was called in for my annual check and it came back 61, two weeks later another test has come back as 54. Has this happened to other people? I have an appointment with the Diabetic nurse in the new year.

Thanks in advance.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I haven't had the experience you describe but there will be someone on here soon with much more experience than me.

I do know that most tests have some degree of uncertainty.

Those readings are in the diabetic range so it is probably ly worthwhile reading around on this site to get some information before seeing the diabetic nurse.

My first recommendation (other than reading this site) is to get a blood sugar meter. You may or may not be recommended by the nurse to get one but my view is that the more information you have about your body the better the decisions you can make. Even before I read this site enough to realise how vital a meter was I had already decided to get one. Regular testing will allow you to see what effect different foods are having on your blood sugar levels- that information will allow you to make the changes you need to bring your levels down.

I have gone really low carb which has brought my levels down to non-diabetic levels in less than 3 months- I'm still a diabetic and still keeping low carb but my belief is that if my levels continue ue to be in the normal range I should not get the symptoms or consequences of diabetes.

Good luck and you really have found the best place to get help, advice and support for diabetics. The people on here are awesome and have helped me so so much.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I was tested two years ago and my HBA1c was 34, next one was 45 (I was also taking prednisolone) I was then retested six months later at 35. I was called in for my annual check and it came back 61, two weeks later another test has come back as 54. Has this happened to other people? I have an appointment with the Diabetic nurse in the new year.

Thanks in advance.
Hi @sueykidd welcome to the forum. Do you use a meter to see what food affects your levels and are you taking statins?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance.

Prednisolone is a steroid which may raise Blood Glucose. Are you still taking a steroid or a Statin, both can raise BG?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is lots of great information and advice on here - including suggestions for low carb Christmas/holiday food.

I bought a meter as soon as I was diagnosed, and went low carb by carefully checking my body/s reaction to foods.
EG I found that I could eat more raspberries than the 'same' amount of carbs in strawberries, and that I could eat up to 1.5 slices of a low carb bread as long as I didn't add loads of extra carbs on top.

I dropped rice, potatoes, ordinary bread, porridge, flour, etc as well as most fruits,
and now have full fat milk, double cream, cheese and bacon
plus greek yogurt or coconut flour/ground almond based cakes and pancakes instead of flour and sugar mixes.

Checking my blood sugar and staying low carb meant I was already back into the normal range by my 3 month check - although that does not mean I can now eat what I like, I am still low carb but allowed myself an extra 15-20g a day after the first year.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is lots of great information and advice on here - including suggestions for low carb Christmas/holiday food.

I bought a meter as soon as I was diagnosed, and went low carb by carefully checking my body/s reaction to foods.
EG I found that I could eat more raspberries than the 'same' amount of carbs in strawberries, and that I could eat up to 1.5 slices of a low carb bread as long as I didn't add loads of extra carbs on top.

I dropped rice, potatoes, ordinary bread, porridge, flour, etc as well as most fruits,
and now have full fat milk, double cream, cheese and bacon
plus greek yogurt or coconut flour/ground almond based cakes and pancakes instead of flour and sugar mixes.

Checking my blood sugar and staying low carb meant I was already back into the normal range by my 3 month check - although that does not mean I can now eat what I like, I am still low carb but allowed myself an extra 15-20g a day after the first year.

What a great example you are of eating to the meter and finding the foods that work for you (and that you like to eat). Bravo! I want to be like you. :)

aard

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance.

This sort of happened to me, but my figures were not as high or low as yours. I would have a test in the diabetic range, then they would retest 2 weeks later and it would be in the prediabetic range.6 months later the test would be in the prediabetic range but 6 months later it would be in the diabetic range and things would repeat. This went on for a few years(the freq blood tests were due to other things).

Until finally last yr i had two tests in a row so diabetes was diagnosed but it wouldn't surprise me if the next one due in 6 months was lower.