Type 2 Christmas time

Beastie_boy82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you all manage.
I am newly diagnosed type 2. But relatively ok over Christmas. But still slightly struggling as everyone still offers food and drinks.
Any tips on surviving the rest of the festive period.

Reactions: Ceebee2

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's nothing stopping you to be honest, just make wise choices

Drinks - whisky, dry wine, vodka etc are all no carb really

Food - cheeses, nuts, dark chocolate (80% cocoa +) pigs in blankets etc

There are things still available that you can have, I however stopped drinking and don't snack but then again I'm Type 1 so have the added complication of insulin to juggle
xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Beastie_boy82 ,

You still got a right to party.. ;)

Drink wise, there are spirits with diet mixers like "scoops" of voddy & Diet Coke..

These shots have been acceptable for years amongst my crowd. (All non D.) no need to feel beer is the only choice..

You can drink responsibly regarding diabetes..
But please drink responsibly whist practicing the above.. :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I managed to lose a kg on Christmas Day, when eating with friends, as I made quite conservative food choices, unsure on how to dose for some of the dishes. I made up for it on Boxing Day, at my own dinner party where I prepared everything myself, happy to eat everything offered at home.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Beastie Boy,

It can be quite a challenge. My view- just my personal view is that since my diagnosis is a lifelong condition (hopefully well controlled for life) then Christmas is just another day to keep my way of eating. I did find it quite challenging. I'm also a carb addict and would find it hard to get back on the wagon if I fell off.

But as Jaylee said above you can try spirits with diet mixers- I would suggest testing regularly to make sure they don't cause a spike

In Australia a lot of people have seafood so there are lots of options in seafood. I had prawns for example with a little avocado. You can have salad- just be careful of the carbs in some things,

If a roast turkey iOS more your style- when roast cover it with bacon and the roast will be more moist and if you like bacon an extra you can eat- don't go for the stuffing.

For dessert try diet jelly with double cream (you could make jello shots for you and your friends I guess -you may have to test first)- or have a cheese board. I also have keto baked custard

So yes while it can be challenging there are some options.

Good luck with the season and, if you fall or climb off the wagon, make sure you jump back on as soon as the season finishes. We all have to find the way that works for us- luckily we will all be here then

Good luck -let us know how it goes. If you want specific food ideas check out the food part of the site.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was in Asda the other day and they have Michelob Ultra which from memory is 2g of carbs per bottle.So you can have a couple without ruining your good work.I also would agree about clear spirits and diet mixers.Pork scratchings and nuts are good snacks as well as meat platters ie Salami or Parma Ham and god bless the cheese makers.Also I have been known to eat a pack of pate with cucumber batons.Quite interesting to watch the faces of the low fat high carb yo yo dieters when I pull that one!!
So no need to feel left out.
Best.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you all manage.
I am newly diagnosed type 2. But relatively ok over Christmas. But still slightly struggling as everyone still offers food and drinks.
Any tips on surviving the rest of the festive period.
I solved this by going abroad for Christmas and went half board. I didn’t see a single mince pie, Christmas cake or Christmas pud.

I drank vino verde and champagneuse.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad to hear you made it relatively unscathed, personally I ate half my body weight in cheese, but managed to avoid (most) of the carb options, my family are starting to understand my way of eating after 5 years! (my poor Dad struggles with various aspects of my diet including IF "Not eating for that long isn't good for you" but he's a 74 year old meat & 2 veg man who eats to the clock not his hunger). The most difficult thing is learning to say no, kindly meaning folk say just one's not going to hurt you surely, but could you imagine them saying that about peanuts to someone who has a allergy?

Reactions: Beastie_boy82

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear you made it relatively unscathed, personally I ate half my body weight in cheese, but managed to avoid (most) of the carb options, my family are starting to understand my way of eating after 5 years! (my poor Dad struggles with various aspects of my diet including IF "Not eating for that long isn't good for you" but he's a 74 year old meat & 2 veg man who eats to the clock not his hunger). The most difficult thing is learning to say no, kindly meaning folk say just one's not going to hurt you surely, but could you imagine them saying that about peanuts to someone who has a allergy?

and there's nothing wrong with meat & two veg! Sounds low carb to me. x

Reactions: Beastie_boy82