Pre Diabetes

Chris1987

Hello,

Recently I was told I have pre-diabetes at age 32. My fasting blood glucose was 5.9, Hba1c 35.

I have been monitoring my blood sugar at home and fasting is always around the 5.5 mark, however my post meal numbers are always much lower.

This morning my fasting reading was 5.7, I had porridge for breakfast, after 1 hour my reading was 4.3, after 2 hours 5.0.

I will try to keep a log to discuss after my next blood test but just wanted to know if this is normal as all the information online points to blood sugar increasing after a meal.

Would love to know if anybody experiences similar?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not entirely sure why you're classed prediabetic with a HbA1c of 35. Are you absolutely sure of that number, because people aren't usually classed PreD unless they're 42 or up (to 48. Beyond that you're a T2).

The porridge could give a late peak, might be worth checking again at the 3 hour mark, but... If porridge doesn't spike you at all I'd still question the current diagnosis if I were you. Have you been put on any medication, dietary advice, anything?

Chris1987

I'm not entirely sure why you're classed prediabetic with a HbA1c of 35. Are you absolutely sure of that number, because people aren't usually classed PreD unless they're 42 or up (to 48. Beyond that you're a T2).

The porridge could give a late peak, might be worth checking again at the 3 hour mark, but... If porridge doesn't spike you at all I'd still question the current diagnosis if I were you. Have you been put on any medication, dietary advice, anything?

Hey, ok I will do that! I was told this by the nurse at my practise that because my FBG was in the pre diabetic range they would disregard the Hba1c and give me advice to be cautious.

it seems like my numbers never spike out of the normal non diabetic range post meal, then seems to settle somewhere between around 5 after a few hours, so always less than my morning reading... my FBG is always slightly elevated.

No medication, only advised to eat a balanced diet and exercise which I generally do. I was referred to a class but that was aimed at weight loss and I am already quite slim so can only really focus on a more balanced diet.

My main concern at this point is getting my FBG into the normal level, if possible! Though I do understand this can be elevated in the morning for several reasons.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, ok I will do that! I was told this by the nurse at my practise that because my FBG was in the pre diabetic range they would disregard the Hba1c and give me advice to be cautious.

it seems like my numbers never spike out of the normal non diabetic range post meal, then seems to settle somewhere between around 5 after a few hours, so always less than my morning reading... my FBG is always slightly elevated.

No medication, only advised to eat a balanced diet and exercise which I generally do. I was referred to a class but that was aimed at weight loss and I am already quite slim so can only really focus on a more balanced diet.

My main concern at this point is getting my FBG into the normal level, if possible! Though I do understand this can be elevated in the morning for several reasons.
Yeah, a "balanced diet" means something different to different people. If you truly are prediabetic, then carbs would be your problem, and cutting those down while upping the fats and keeping protein moderate, well.. That's what's balanced to someone with a diabetic metabolic condition. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html would be a jumping off point. But hey, if it's "just" the fasting blood glucose in the morning... Do you use any other medication? Steroids, statins, that sort of thing? Do you sleep poorly, wake often, have a lot of nightmares? Exercise before breakfast? Because those things could indeed drive up a fasting blood glucose: a matter of your liver dumping glucose so you have enough energy to start the day. In any case, getting your diet sorted out will be a a healthy step whichever way you turn it. Just keep in mind that when you make changes, the FBG is the last one to come down, so do be patient and stick with it.

Reactions: NitinHP

andromache

Whether you're technically pre-diabetic or not, most people will benefit from cutting back on sugar and refined carbohydrate like grains because it will even out blood sugar spikes and keep your system working more smoothly. If you cut back on processed carbs like htis, you'll need to increase something else if you don't want to fade away! In practice, that might mean eating more good quality fat than you are accustomed to, while keeping protein moderate (while making sure you're getting enough of it - very important for staying strong). I do think that sort of regime is going to be good for most people's health, and it is so easy to do and sustain - a great habit to get into at your age.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
all the information online points to blood sugar increasing after a meal.
Indeed, but when bg increases after a meal is uncertain. I can often see a much lower bg 2 or even 3 hours after lunch than before, but eventually it will go up. What time do you eat your last food before going to bed? If your digestion / stomach emptying is very slow, your dinner may not be hitting your blood-stream until morning, leading to your higher fasting bg.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Chris1987

Yeah, a "balanced diet" means something different to different people. If you truly are prediabetic, then carbs would be your problem, and cutting those down while upping the fats and keeping protein moderate, well.. That's what's balanced to someone with a diabetic metabolic condition. would be a jumping off point. But hey, if it's "just" the fasting blood glucose in the morning... Do you use any other medication? Steroids, statins, that sort of thing? Do you sleep poorly, wake often, have a lot of nightmares? Exercise before breakfast? Because those things could indeed drive up a fasting blood glucose: a matter of your liver dumping glucose so you have enough energy to start the day. In any case, getting your diet sorted out will be a a healthy step whichever way you turn it. Just keep in mind that when you make changes, the FBG is the last one to come down, so do be patient and stick with it.

Thanks for all your great advice!

I have only just started monitoring at home so I won’t know the full picture for a while I guess, only so far it seems only my fasting blood glucose that is in the pre range!
No nightmares, sleep well, no medication and I don’t usually workout before eating, always later in the day.
Anyway at the very least it’s something I’m aware of now and any changes made can only be a good thing either way!

Reactions: andromache