Bulk buying, Organic Almond?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miffli if you're looking for something to replace bread, have you looked at chaffles? There are hundreds, if not thousands of articles on t'internet on chaffles. A number on here use them.

To be honest, I was never a big bread lover, so giving it up was very easy for me, even long before having to go gluten-free.

Allegedly (as I've never done it myself), if you don't have a waffle maker you can try the concoction, by using a frying pan, although, from what I've read, the waffle maker creates a better texture.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if i'm worrying too much, i'm sure the coconut flour would be better in some instances in thickening than the ground almonds, neither are that high if we are talking of perhaps a teaspoon or less.
I would say carbs in 2 teaspoon coconut flour would be minimal. Despite health benefits of almonds, over consumption can lead to toxicity. Google ‘side effects of almonds’ to find out more. 5 or 6 almonds soaked in water overnight is a recommendation.

Reactions: MillieT

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried coconut flour for a few things - and ended up disliking it. Texture, flavour, absorbancy were all 'off' for me.

I still make the odd LC cake or bakery item, but invariably try one piece, and let Mr B have the rest. Always disappointing, and like others have said, the effort and phaff involved always seems far too much effort for the result.

As for fluid and water retention, yes, any of these baked things, whether low carb or not, seem to make my ankles swell more than usual. Fluid retention can be caused by many things, from heart issues to circulation issues to food intolerances, and many more. As far as I am aware, mine are mainly food intolerances (ankles swell 3x as much if I have any gluten/grain/lc frankenfoods etc). However, the summer heat plays a big part too, as does the fact I have a desk job and sit at my desk upwards of 9 hours a day. Yet another reason why I walk my dogs for an hour every lunch break.

Having said all of that, my go to place for sourcing any odd or LC ingredient nowadays is Amazon. You can do all your research, then go there and do price comparisons, and select the bulk quantity that offers you the best convenience v price. And then (we have Prime) we can have it delivered to our door within 24 hours. I have sacks of bird food on order today. :)

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm not sure I am trying to replace bread, i saw it as the opportunity to have it as a kind of pudding with cream- ok, I was always a fan of puddings, especially steamed ones, old fashioned cooking was the way i was raised, we made marzipan from scratch, toffee, sugar fudge, my goodness, no wonder i'm diabetic consuming so much sugar- i realise it doesn't work like that but nothing was a no go and I have found it reasonably easy to go over to the low carb diet except that it did not seem as varied as i was used to.

I am finding more recipes every day though i do not wish to omit all my vegetables, i'm just not sure i can do the 100% meat thing though not against giving it a go, i'm ok with egg, bacon and what have you for breakfast, and i am starting to eat a lot of steak but still have not mastered having a non chewy one and i just can't eat any meat with blood dribbling out of it and i could never eat sushi either..nope, ain't gonna happen.

I tried that version of the almond, keto toast with egg on it and i didn't like it at all, it really is much better as a pudding imho. ( remember choux pastry- oh gosh- with fresh whipped cream- to die for) At least i can still have the cream, i'm having the remains of last nights minced chicken breast crust pizza with egg on it.. i find it quite peculiar that i would even wish to!

I have noticed that on an evening my legs swell up quite bad, i lay down all night and when i get up i need to go to the loo for everyone and my legs feel ok then, back to normal so i am suffering from some retention for some reason, i am still drinking an awful lot too -(water) , i always thought that was a good thing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miffli
If you like puddings, then have a google for 'low carb chia pudding recipes'.
They are astonishingly easy to make and they have a kind of rice pudding/semolina/tapioca vibe, if that sort of thing floats your boat. :)

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@miffli
If you like puddings, then have a google for 'low carb chia pudding recipes'.
They are astonishingly easy to make and they have a kind of rice pudding/semolina/tapioca vibe, if that sort of thing floats your boat. :)

Thank you, well i would not mind trying if it is kind of like rice but tapioca.. semolina.. i was never keen on those two. i shall have a look and see :)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case I had a severe addiction to "bread like substances" which trigger cravings that have no off switch .... I find that exclusion is far easier than moderation in those cases ...

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. I think it's a much bigger challenge to change your diet to one that doesn't revolve around all the cereal / grain carbs than to go to the replacement sorts of things, but ultimately worth it - and I speak as someone who's far from achieving that goal!

A low carb diet (below 130g / day) has got my HbA1c level down and is working as a way of keeping it down and keeping me off any medication. I'm coming to the conclusion I can actually 'afford' to eat a small amount of bread most days (depending on the carb content of the day's fruit and vegetables), but try to only ever buy something like a single bread roll or bagel at a time, i.e. it's not there in the food cupboard. And in a cafe where they only appear to serve cake, I've not yet been refused a request for a slice of toast!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To achieve my goal of normal levels I have to eat far lower carbs as well as avoiding high carb foods such as ordinary bread. We all have different tolerances but you are lucky to be able to eat so many carbs and maintain normality.

Reactions: JenniferW

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i'm fortunate in that I was able to give up high carb foods quite easily, though in some cases resentfully!

I've always worked on the basis that LCHF/"keto" is NO WAY a deprivation style of eating and if I can eat suitable and healthy low carb alternatives (e.g. baking with nut/seed flours, butter, eggs) and keep my glucose/HbA1C at acceptable levels, then there's absolutely no reason why I shouldn't do so. But it's a matter or choice.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To achieve my goal of normal levels I have to eat far lower carbs as well as avoiding high carb foods such as ordinary bread. We all have different tolerances ....
Your comment about individual differences is so true, and something it's taken me years (post-T2-diagnosis) to even start to make sense of.

At the beginning, from the X-pert course I went off on, it was very much one standard diet they were telling us to switch to. I'd got decades of history of a wholefood and mainly vegetarian diet, and what they were recommending seemed odd and alien to me, and I think I went a bit off the rails in the changes I started to make, just getting the impression that my regular diet was somehow to blame. After years of ups and downs and lots of following of things on this forum, my experiments have got a bit more successful, though with pretty much no help from the NHS! This year I've made better progress than ever before, though.