Pins & needles - will it go away

Yorkietoo

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic a few days ago after having symptoms that got me worried: tingling hands and feet, frequent peeing and dry mouth. I've accepted (what choice do we have) that I have a challenge ahead and am getting to grips with my new LCHF way of eating. So far so good, no hunger pains and lost 5lbs so far. My worry is that the pins and needles along with a burning sensation on the bottom of my feet if anything seem to be worsening. My GP didn't seem too bothered about my symptoms. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic a few days ago after having symptoms that got me worried: tingling hands and feet, frequent peeing and dry mouth. I've accepted (what choice do we have) that I have a challenge ahead and am getting to grips with my new LCHF way of eating. So far so good, no hunger pains and lost 5lbs so far. My worry is that the pins and needles along with a burning sensation on the bottom of my feet if anything seem to be worsening. My GP didn't seem too bothered about my symptoms. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks
So sorry that you have joined our non-exclusive club. The good news is that you are classed as pre-diabetic and once the sugar that is currently part of your tissues is removed, you circulation should get better and the problem will hopefully resolve. You might find that the numbness turns to pain as the nerves start to re-grow. I had this for quite a few weeks before everything went away and I now have normal feeling in my foot (oddly it was only in my left). I had a high Hba1c when I was diagnosed (108) so if my foot can recover hopefully yours will resolve even quicker.

Caprock94

I started getting burning sensations in my feet along with stinging pains about 6 weeks after diagnosis, after rapidly lowering my blood sugar levels. No symptoms at time of diagnosis. The stinging pains went away after a few weeks, but the burning sensations remain 6 months later. Good news is it seems to slowly be getting better. I comes and goes and varies in intensity. Unfortunately my hands also feel warm/hot sometimes, even though they are cold to the touch. Hoping it all steadily improves with continued good control.

Reactions: Barbara93

Yorkietoo

Thank you both for your replies. I have noticed what started off as tingling seems now to have turned to more of a prickling sensation and sometimes a burning. It's good to have some idea what to expect, makes it less worrying so I'm grateful for your advice. My Hba1c was 42 at diagnosis so at the lower end of the prediabetic scale but I've made a good start on my LCHF eating plan and hope to drive that figure down into the 'normal' range asap. Good luck to all out there fighting the fight.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have had similar symptoms. My tingling/burning feet are improving after only six weeks - it's a mild tingle now and I've had a few days entirely free. Dry sticky mouth, which I didn't previously have, made an appearance after diagnosis but is also fading. I wonder if that is related to weight loss? Anyway, the symptoms are gradually decreasing, hope yours do too.

Yorkietoo

Thanks KennyA me too. I have the dry mouth too and sometimes a metallic taste. I chew sugar free gum and find it helps. So glad to have found this site. Although you wouldn't wish D on anybody just knowing you can find support and advice on here is such a comfort.

Reactions: KennyA

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest the diagnosis was a relief. It explained symptoms going back 8-10 years. Everything seems to be improving now I've cut carbs to 0-12g/day. Good luck.