Yoyo

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
Posting because i feel the need to rant!
I've been ill with some kind of flu or really bad cold over Christmas, and today my blood sugars have finally decided to come down off their high horse (in every sense of the phrase - they have been sassy as heck with me for the last 2 weeks - double figures constantly!)
This means my hypo awareness is now through the roof. Which is NOT as great as it sounds, when you are getting hot sweats and shakes at 6.3. I had a 4.8 earlier and had to tell my work colleague to watch me for dozing off, i felt that bad. Almost wish that they were back up high again.
Almost...
To all of you who are still ill with the multitude of bugs that have plagued the UK this Christmas, don't worry about your obscenely high readings, it's normal and when you recover, you will be frustratingly hypo aware!
Shannon x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear you've been unwell @Shannon27 I also fully hear your frustration over the hypo awareness, I too find if i've been running higher than normal that my awareness then goes up too, which is good and also bad as I get jittery at 5+ :banghead:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a very hard time choosing between the 'funny' (for high- horsed sassy bg's :D), the 'hug' (for obvious and many reasons), the 'winner' or 'optimistic' (because for all of the ill-fortune in your rant it's a pleasure to read and I love people who are able to laugh at the frustrating ridiculousness of diabetes), and 'friendly', 'useful' or 'informative' (for your last paragraph).

I'll go with the 'optimistic' rating, because I like the rainbow icon :)

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
Posting because i feel the need to rant!
I've been ill with some kind of flu or really bad cold over Christmas, and today my blood sugars have finally decided to come down off their high horse (in every sense of the phrase - they have been sassy as heck with me for the last 2 weeks - double figures constantly!)
This means my hypo awareness is now through the roof. Which is NOT as great as it sounds, when you are getting hot sweats and shakes at 6.3. I had a 4.8 earlier and had to tell my work colleague to watch me for dozing off, i felt that bad. Almost wish that they were back up high again.
Almost...
To all of you who are still ill with the multitude of bugs that have plagued the UK this Christmas, don't worry about your obscenely high readings, it's normal and when you recover, you will be frustratingly hypo aware!
Shannon x
One of the things I learnt on a Daphne course was how to handle high blood glucose levels when ill. As you said, colds, flu etc send you bg sky high and your normal dose doesn’t work. One of the problems is that when you are ill and your bg goes high it can also lead to high ketones and it’s almost impossible to get the strips to test for them.
As a guide though when bg is 10-13 calculate the the total QA and BG taken in the previous 24 hours and take 10% of that as QA every 2 hours in addition to normal dose.
If the bg is over 13 then take 20% every 2 hours in addition to normal dose. Doing that is better than waiting for the illness to go away and for the bg to come down by itself.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the things I learnt on a Daphne course was how to handle high blood glucose levels when ill. As you said, colds, flu etc send you bg sky high and your normal dose doesn’t work. One of the problems is that when you are ill and your bg goes high it can also lead to high ketones and it’s almost impossible to get the strips to test for them.
As a guide though when bg is 10-13 calculate the the total QA and BG taken in the previous 24 hours and take 10% of that as QA every 2 hours in addition to normal dose.
If the bg is over 13 then take 20% every 2 hours in addition to normal dose. Doing that is better than waiting for the illness to go away and for the bg to come down by itself.
Thanks @Mike_T , saving this for future reference!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mike_T only recently got ketone test strips after a bad sick do. Sorted by my hospital team who were horrified I didn’t have a meter or strips capable of testing. -still peeing on a strip-! They are now on my prescription, but she did say use them judiciously or the GP wouldn’t be happy. In truth you should only need to use them when illness and high numbers combine.