Type 2 Lost weight, on meds but no energy

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m type 2, diagnosed last June 2019.
Started on Metformin now on Sukkarto twice day. Originally 10% then two month ago got down to 7%.
Lost 2 stone since diagnosis.
I go to gym which is mainly toning and bit cardio but noticed my strength and energy isn’t on par.
I would’ve imagined with lost weight I would be buzzing!
After Xmas my eyes went blurred and got scared so really cut back on carbs and it’s improved it. (Is this a trigger for blood sugar too high).
So basically has anyone else suffered with lack of energy after losing weight? I’m coeliac too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you replaced the carbs with fat? You need to fuel your body, and switching over to ketosis is the way to go - but the low fat mantra has been droning on so long now that many believe that they can live without anything to run on.
How are your blood glucose levels responding to the low carb?

Reactions: Lotties

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m type 2, diagnosed last June 2019.
Started on Metformin now on Sukkarto twice day. Originally 10% then two month ago got down to 7%.
Lost 2 stone since diagnosis.
I go to gym which is mainly toning and bit cardio but noticed my strength and energy isn’t on par.
I would’ve imagined with lost weight I would be buzzing!
After Xmas my eyes went blurred and got scared so really cut back on carbs and it’s improved it. (Is this a trigger for blood sugar too high).
So basically has anyone else suffered with lack of energy after losing weight? I’m coeliac too.

GuidingSenses, some people find their bodies take a while to adjust to the "new normal" of their lives.

If you are already Coeliac, I am assuming you are on a strictly gluten-free diet? Have you carefully checked any new things you are eating recently to ensure they too fit with your GF?

I know when I went GF, as instructed by an Endo, I was horrified what that confounded stuff hid! I had already been eating low carb for a few years, so I thought it'd be a dawdle. Boy, I was wrong to be quite so cocky about it.

Have your bloods been checked for nutrient deficiencies, like B12, Vit D, ferritin and folate? All of those are key to decent metabolic health.

The other thing you might want to check is if your thyroid function has been checked in recent times? I would hope as someone already diagnosed with one auto-immune condition, your medical bods would be on the lookout for others. Sadly once you have one, you are more a than risk of collecting others along the way.

One of the most common impacts of poor thyroid function is poor energy levels. Out thyroids are central to our metabolic health, so we do need to be on top of anything potentially going awry.

Finally, are you plain old eating enough? There's no need to starve yourself to lose weight, so maybe try eating just a bit more of the good stuff and see what happens?

mouseee

What other changes did you make to your diet? If you reduced carbs you may need some extra fat for energy.

Blurry vision can ba a sign of high blood sugar. Do you have blood glucose monitor? Only way to actually tell.