Background Retinopathy

ashleyp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all,

Really just here for some reassurance but I would be interested to hear some others input on this topic. 2020 is my 8th year as a diabetic (diagnosed July 2012 at age 21) and since then my control has been extremely tight. Every year my HbA1c has been considered "too low" by my doctor and they have always showed concern that I was having too many hypos. This can sometimes be the case, and I do have more lows than I would like, but I have always been mindful of the possibilities of complications and it has pushed me to try and keep things as good as I can.

I recently went for my annual eye scan and for the first time ever I received the 'background retinopathy' letter. My understanding that was this was caused due to prolonged periods of high blood sugar or poor control. This was obviously devastating after putting in so much effort over the past 8 years to avoid this. To give you some insight, my 90 day average on my libra is 5.3mmol and my estimated HbA1c is 5.0% or 31mmol. Can anyone offer some insight into why this might be happening? Are we just destined for this to happen as diabetics no matter how good your control is?

I have read over the years that some people have had this result for it to return back to no issues the following year so I can only hope that this is the case, but until then, here's to 12 months of anxiety.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ashleyp

I get it some years and then it goes again, comes back, goes again, am fairly stable but as it's detecting very slight changes in the eyes it's not something I am worried about, just keep up with the scans, if it then progresses then there would be reason for concern, but keep on doing what you're doing as it sounds like you're running a tight ship and maintaining excellent control.

Reactions: Rose22 and ashleyp

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all,

Really just here for some reassurance but I would be interested to hear some others input on this topic. 2020 is my 8th year as a diabetic (diagnosed July 2012 at age 21) and since then my control has been extremely tight. Every year my HbA1c has been considered "too low" by my doctor and they have always showed concern that I was having too many hypos. This can sometimes be the case, and I do have more lows than I would like, but I have always been mindful of the possibilities of complications and it has pushed me to try and keep things as good as I can.

I recently went for my annual eye scan and for the first time ever I received the 'background retinopathy' letter. My understanding that was this was caused due to prolonged periods of high blood sugar or poor control. This was obviously devastating after putting in so much effort over the past 8 years to avoid this. To give you some insight, my 90 day average on my libra is 5.3mmol and my estimated HbA1c is 5.0% or 31mmol. Can anyone offer some insight into why this might be happening? Are we just destined for this to happen as diabetics no matter how good your control is?

I have read over the years that some people have had this result for it to return back to no issues the following year so I can only hope that this is the case, but until then, here's to 12 months of anxiety.
Really don't worry about this, i have had background retinopathy for the last 6 or 7 years, the first time i had the letter i thought i was going to be blind within the year! But it hasn't affected my eyesight at all. It's just blood vessels at the back of your eyes sometimes get a bit distorted and jagged looking, that's what they look for. You will be fine and your readings are ace, so don't feel discouraged! :)

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to say, I agree totally with what has already been said. It has always seemed to me that our eyes must react to very slight changes in our BS levels. That is the only thing that can explain how my background retinopathy appears and disappears on a regular basis.

Reactions: Shannon27

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was led to believe that it was fairly normal to have some background changes no matter how good the control of the diabetes and more so the length of time that someone has been diabetic. I’ve had diabetes 11 yrs really not great control, and have had some background retinopathy on and off for the last 3 checks. My father in law now deceased had very good control over the 37 yrs he had it but still encountered different complications along the way

Reactions: ashleyp

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told by my endocrinologist and separately by Consultant at eye dept that some people develop retinopathy even when they have had years of excellent control, with low blood sugars and HbA1c. The cause can be genetic, or unknown, but a risk factor is the length of time you have had diabetes for.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all,

I have had background retinopathy then the following years test all clear! So don’t be discouraged.

Reactions: Juicyj and ashleyp

bmtest

I would not worry about it with control such as your you can do no more.

I last had eyes looked at by diabetic clinic 15 years ago I am not interested in the detail of how the veins look behind eye so rely on specsaver check as I wear glasses for old age this is done every 1 to 2 years. I have had type 1 for over 40 years and have yet to have problems with eyes relating to diabetes.

There's nothing worse than diabetic clinic check and long wait in waithing room for some technician to eventually stick his head out of door to say all ok come back in 12 months.

You can rupture blood vesssels in eye sneezing, coughing or lifting anything too heavy for you.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ashleyp sorry to hear that the test result is causing you anxiety. As @Juicyj says some people can have things show up on the eye screening one year, only for it to disappear the next.

One thing you can be sure of is that if there were anything showing that was in need of more urgent investigation, you’d have been called back in.

You’re doing absolutely the right thing in attending the annual check - eyesight is too important to be left to chance, and I for one would rather undergo a bit of discomfort/inconvenience than contemplate the alternative.

Keep managing your diabetes the way it sounds you are and hopefully there will be better news next time.

ashleyp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would not worry about it with control such as your you can do no more.

I last had eyes looked at by diabetic clinic 15 years ago I am not interested in the detail of how the veins look behind eye so rely on specsaver check as I wear glasses for old age this is done every 1 to 2 years. I have had type 1 for over 40 years and have yet to have problems with eyes relating to diabetes.

There's nothing worse than diabetic clinic check and long wait in waithing room for some technician to eventually stick his head out of door to say all ok come back in 12 months.

You can rupture blood vesssels in eye sneezing, coughing or lifting anything too heavy for you.

You have brought up an interesting point here. I train 5 times a week as a hobbyist bodybuilder and am under considerable amounts of load on a regular basis from heavy deadlifts and squats. There is nothing to say that something might have been caused by the strain my body is put under during these lifts so certainly an interesting point.

Thank you all that have shared experiences and wise words, it has genuinely helped :)

bmtest

I have been training for last 40 years it keeps the levels low for days after i warm up with 1O mins press up and pull ups and finish after 10 minutes with 2 x 100 ups 300 sit ups. Thats warm up then into lifting weights for 45 mins, 20 mins boxing. I finish off with 4 mile run with dog. I have done that routine twice a year for 20 years and cant remember what routine for previous 20 year. It was usually 10 pints and 3 mile jog home hypo or not. Some years i cycled to work in all weather every day.

In summary use it or lose it and yes they will see burst vessels with that routins it disables you for at least a couple of days.

It destroys any high blood sugars.