Type 2 Losing weight too fast?

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

I've been diagnosed with T2 for about two months now and my latest HbA1c and my own testing indicate that I have it under quite good control. I've opted for the low-carb/more exercise route and I have to say I feel loads better for it. I get nowhere near as fatigued as I used to.

However, I seem to be losing weight at an excessive rate. Over the past two months I've lost 2 stone (28lbs/12kg). I mentioned it to my GP yesterday, but he didn't seem particularly bothered as I'm in the middle of the BMI range for my height.

Would the assorted experienced sages here agree that I should increase my fat intake? I have to confess that doesn't sit easily with me having been brought up with the 'fat is bad' doctrine.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Increase protein and fats to maintain. What proportions will depend on you. Keep a close eye on your meter.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much weight do you have to lose?
When I started out on this journey I was 324 pounds and lost a similar amount to you in the first few months.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Increase protein and fats to maintain. What proportions will depend on you. Keep a close eye on your meter.
I have increased my protein intake, and recently been adding cream to coffee and desserts. I guess I need to step it up a bit. I do eat red meat from time to time, but maybe only twice a week.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much weight do you have to lose?
When I started out on this journey I was 324 pounds and lost a similar amount to you in the first few months.
I haven't really got a target and have never been particularly attentive to my weight. It just seems that the weight's falling off me too quickly.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give us an idea of what your daily food and meals looks like please?

andromache

Hi.

I've been diagnosed with T2 for about two months now and my latest HbA1c and my own testing indicate that I have it under quite good control. I've opted for the low-carb/more exercise route and I have to say I feel loads better for it. I get nowhere near as fatigued as I used to.

However, I seem to be losing weight at an excessive rate. Over the past two months I've lost 2 stone (28lbs/12kg). I mentioned it to my GP yesterday, but he didn't seem particularly bothered as I'm in the middle of the BMI range for my height.

Would the assorted experienced sages here agree that I should increase my fat intake? I have to confess that doesn't sit easily with me having been brought up with the 'fat is bad' doctrine.

The thing is, when you cut down on one or the three macronutrients (carbs) then you have to eat more of at least one of the others (fat and protein) if you don't want to fade away. For the past 40 years, while the low-fat doctrine has held sway, that has meant eating less fat and eating more carbohydrate, and look where that's got us. :)

I know it is hard for those of us who have grown up and spent all our adult lives in that oppressive regime to accept that good fat is in fact our friend, but it really is. And don't forget your protein either. I don't know what age you are, but the older we get the less good we become at absorbing that vital nutrient, and maintaining plenty of good strong, lean muscle mass is essential to healthy aging as well as supporting a healthy energy metabolism.

M

Member496333

You won't 'fade away'. Your body will tell you when it wants you to start adding more fuel. People these days on LCHF just think they are getting too thin because they have forgotten what lean looks like. Take a look at a TV show from 1970 if you want a reminder of what humans are supposed to look like.

Obviously if you continue losing weight indefinitely then rethink the strategy and think about building lean muscle mass. Until then, keep calm and carry on. Trust your appetite. Your body is currently feeding off your fat stores so there's no need to add more unless you're hungry.

Reactions: HSSS

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes increase both fats and proteins. If the weight loss continues then suspect you may be T1 and not T2. Ask the GP for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-Peptide. When T1 or during the LADA (late onset T1) honeymoon period your pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin so you body starts burning body fat to get energy and your BS levels will also rise.

Reactions: HSSS