Free short courses for Diabetes Education

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone!
It's a whole new week, hope you've all had a good weekend?
I've just seen a comment on a post somewhere grumbling about the lack of "diabetes education" and its got me thinking...
I am currently a student at the Open University where they have thousands of free courses in every topic you can imagine. These can range from introductory to advanced level. They have 3 on diabetes, which are totally free and start with the very basics. I haven't done them yet, so if you get to them before me and find errors do let me know and i'll nag them.
You do have to sign up but its all free and you can print off certificates at the end for most!
Does anyone else have access to any free courses online, and could you post the links :)
Thanks
Shannon
https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
upload_2020-2-17_8-48-45.png

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning everyone!
I've just seen a comment on a post somewhere grumbling about the lack of "diabetes education" and its got me thinking...
I am currently a student at the Open University where they have thousands of free courses in every topic you can imagine. These can range from introductory to advanced level. They have 3 on diabetes, which are totally free and start with the very basics. I haven't done them yet, so if you get to them before me and find errors do let me know and i'll nag them.
You do have to sign up but its all free and you can print off certificates at the end for most!
Does anyone else have access to any free courses online, and could you post the links :)
Thanks
Shannon
View attachment 38711

Thanks, I will have a look today :)

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I will have a look today :)

That's good of you Robinredbreast and if you can, please report back. I always assume that these diabetes related courses will simply reiterate the old, old advice such as follow the eatwell plate and have lots of carbs etc but am interested to know if they've caught up with the more modern approach.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Futurelearn is a really useful learning resource with free courses, they currently have 12 subjects on diabetes covering matters such as 'caring for others', 'living well with diabetes' to 'diabetes eye disease and building capacity to prevent blindness'.

Courses are managed by Universities so they should be accurate and informed, however would welcome feedback from others on this.

https://www.futurelearn.com/search?q=diabetes

Reactions: Robinredbreast

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at this recently. As well as the OU there’s one at Study365.co.uk, a diabetes care level 3 at a low cost. And also NCFE CACHE level 2 understanding the care and management of diabetes delivered free by colleges. I’ve not gone into any details.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
This is the best free all rounders course for type 1 diabetics though and a really useful one to help newbies to become informed:

https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That's good of you Robinredbreast and if you can, please report back. I always assume that these diabetes related courses will simply reiterate the old, old advice such as follow the eatwell plate and have lots of carbs etc but am interested to know if they've caught up with the more modern approach.

I have found a couple by googling :)

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone! I was hoping to set this up as a sort of library of simple self education resources for newly diagnosed diabetics. It's great that they can come on here to ask questions but i appreciate having everyone shout out their own methods of managing can be confusing, especially at first!

pearlzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
drugs
Morning everyone!
Thanks
Shannon
View attachment 38711

absolutely fantastic share

lumusislight

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Shannon, I have also googled for more information and found this organization: IDF School of Diabetes in Brussels, Belgium. They have an E-Library and it might be useful too. I haven't registered yet, but I'm going to check their library resources, when I have some free time on weekends.

lumusislight

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Shannon, I have also googled for more information and found this organization: IDF School of Diabetes in Brussels, Belgium. They have an essay typer collective E-Library and it might be useful too. I haven't registered yet, but I'm going to check their library resources, when I have some free time on weekends.

One more resource with free classes: Tools and eLearning courses by Diabetes Australia.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve just completed the sixteen hour OU “diabetes complications” course in one - it was written in 2005, is very vague about types and really just talks about what tests are done at an annual review. It still talks of urine glucose testing, that ketone blood meters are rare, and no mention of carb counting. Wasn’t impressed, tbh. I’ll do the “living with diabetes” one next and report back.