Not diagnosed but seeing the doc tommorow

JustMe83

Hi, hope this is ok to post here. Didn’t know where else to turn to ask these questions!
I have no diagnosis of diabetes but I’m going to discuss with my gp tomoro about whether I need to be tested for it.
I have no idea if I’m being paranoid and this is something else (which of course it could be), but my mum has been telling me for a while to get tested and I’ve dismissed it. Until today - when I became really unwell!
Basically, for a long time now I’ve been having really bad night sweats - I literally wake up soaked everywhere! And (sorry for tmi) but the smell is really edited and sickly! Spoke to doc about it over a year ago and put it down to meds that I’m on (venaflaxine), they told me to take them in morning instead of night, and put me on amitriptyline about 6 months ago.
It hasn’t improved at all.
I’m constantly exhausted - but have fibromyalgia so again, put that down to that! But my fibro is fairly well managed but last few weeks I’ve been getting more exhausted.
I need the toilet at night constantly! Hate going to bed as it takes me hours before I can try and nod off as I’m always having to get up and run to the loo! And when I do nod off - I wake up needing to go again! Argh!
Anyway, last couple of weeks I’ve had something new added in - can only describe them as ‘funny turns’ 1 I can be completely fine and the next min I crash - complete exhaustion where it’s tiring just to try and talk, light headedness and and intense need to sleep right there and then. I feel sick and feel like I’m going to pass out. It’s happened a few times now and been meaning to see doc as thought maybe I was having panic attacks again (even though I don’t know why I’d be having them now), but today was the worst out of them all.
I was sitting down when it came over me again - my heart rate was thru the roof, I felt confused, my mouth went extremely dry - like the driest it’s ever been! I felt really thirsty, tired and disoriented. It eased a bit when I laid down, but got worse when I tried to get up. But even lying down I felt like I wasn’t going to be able to stay awake. I tried to ring my docs but couldn’t get thru. Rang 111 and they wanted me to go to a&e. I told them I would - but I didn’t. I had a few biscuits and sipped on water and fell asleep.

I felt a lot better when I woke but have just felt really exhausted and sluggish all day. It’s horrible.

anyway, I know this could all be a number of things - but I have this nagging in my head from my mother now saying about asking to be checked out for diabetes!
I don’t want to look stupid asking the doc - but would anyone say it’s a reasonable question with the above symptoms that are getting worse and not better? when I looked at the symptoms on the website here it meantiones a lot of them but also said weight loss - I haven’t lost weight, in fact I’m overweight and struggling to lose any at all!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes, completely reasonable question for anyone to ask .... so ask for an HBA1C (bloods)

BUT it could be any number of conditions so never assume. Good luck

Reactions: JustMe83

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank goodness you are going to the doctor tomorrow, it certainly sounds as if there is something going on, maybe diabetes, maybe something else but you need to get it seen to. Please come back and let us know how it went, if it is diabetes there is plenty of help to be found here. Good luck.

Reactions: EllieM and JustMe83

JustMe83

Thank you both of you. Keeping an open mind - whatever it is I want to sort it! Hate feeling so ill all the tine. It’s bad enough with the fibro.
I forgot to add about cuts taking ages to heal too.. think I need to write it all down before I go as I get brain fog!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both of you. Keeping an open mind - whatever it is I want to sort it! Hate feeling so ill all the tine. It’s bad enough with the fibro.
I forgot to add about cuts taking ages to heal too.. think I need to write it all down before I go as I get brain fog!

Yes write it all down first, easy to forget everything you wanted to ask otherwise.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, hope this is ok to post here. Didn’t know where else to turn to ask these questions!
I have no diagnosis of diabetes but I’m going to discuss with my gp tomoro about whether I need to be tested for it.
I have no idea if I’m being paranoid and this is something else (which of course it could be), but my mum has been telling me for a while to get tested and I’ve dismissed it. Until today - when I became really unwell!
Basically, for a long time now I’ve been having really bad night sweats - I literally wake up soaked everywhere! And (sorry for tmi) but the smell is really edited and sickly! Spoke to doc about it over a year ago and put it down to meds that I’m on (venaflaxine), they told me to take them in morning instead of night, and put me on amitriptyline about 6 months ago.
It hasn’t improved at all.
I’m constantly exhausted - but have fibromyalgia so again, put that down to that! But my fibro is fairly well managed but last few weeks I’ve been getting more exhausted.
I need the toilet at night constantly! Hate going to bed as it takes me hours before I can try and nod off as I’m always having to get up and run to the loo! And when I do nod off - I wake up needing to go again! Argh!
Anyway, last couple of weeks I’ve had something new added in - can only describe them as ‘funny turns’ 1 I can be completely fine and the next min I crash - complete exhaustion where it’s tiring just to try and talk, light headedness and and intense need to sleep right there and then. I feel sick and feel like I’m going to pass out. It’s happened a few times now and been meaning to see doc as thought maybe I was having panic attacks again (even though I don’t know why I’d be having them now), but today was the worst out of them all.
I was sitting down when it came over me again - my heart rate was thru the roof, I felt confused, my mouth went extremely dry - like the driest it’s ever been! I felt really thirsty, tired and disoriented. It eased a bit when I laid down, but got worse when I tried to get up. But even lying down I felt like I wasn’t going to be able to stay awake. I tried to ring my docs but couldn’t get thru. Rang 111 and they wanted me to go to a&e. I told them I would - but I didn’t. I had a few biscuits and sipped on water and fell asleep.

I felt a lot better when I woke but have just felt really exhausted and sluggish all day. It’s horrible.

anyway, I know this could all be a number of things - but I have this nagging in my head from my mother now saying about asking to be checked out for diabetes!
I don’t want to look stupid asking the doc - but would anyone say it’s a reasonable question with the above symptoms that are getting worse and not better? when I looked at the symptoms on the website here it meantiones a lot of them but also said weight loss - I haven’t lost weight, in fact I’m overweight and struggling to lose any at all!

Justme, your symptoms could be many things, but it sounds like whatever it is, it needs some attention.

You do have some symptoms of diabetes, but those symptoms could also be other things.

It sounds very much like a good checkover is in order, including quite a wide ranging blood panel to take in the diabetes angle, but also a full blood panel, just to see if there are clues there.

I do hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: EllieM

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes write it all down first, easy to forget everything you wanted to ask otherwise.
It's good you're seeing the doc. Like others stated, could be anything, including diabetes, so get a full work up and keep after it. And next time someone tells you to go to A&E... Just go. ;) Good luck, will be keeping fingers crossed for easy answers for you, rather an chronic ones.

JustMe83

Thanks everyone, I’ve got an appointment at 10.50 for an ecg and then seeing the doc after! Rang the surgery this morning and explained what happened yesterday etc and they want the ecg done this morning as apparently that’s what I should’ve had at a&e yesterday So will wait and see what they say..

JustMe83

Hi just got back. Ecg was ok but have to have a 24hr monitor on at some point. Doc was really good - I’ve recently moved so this was my first appointment there. He is going to do a ‘full mot’ to rule out / in anything and everything so hopefully will get to the bottom of things eventually!

Reactions: Daphne917 and DJC3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just got back. Ecg was ok but have to have a 24hr monitor on at some point. Doc was really good - I’ve recently moved so this was my first appointment there. He is going to do a ‘full mot’ to rule out / in anything and everything so hopefully will get to the bottom of things eventually!
Glad you got on, and they're being duly thorough! :)

Reactions: JustMe83

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s good. Am glad your dr is doing a full MOT. I would also say that if you get those symptoms again, in the interim of your dr doing the tests and awaiting the results, that you go straight to A&E, just to be on the safe side, as sometimes it’s better for a medic to see exactly what’s going on at the time of an episode. :)

Reactions: DJC3 and JustMe83

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JustMe83 thanks for reporting back and I’m glad they are being so thorough. I’d agree with @Lucylemonpip that if you get an episode like that again, go straight to A&E

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad your GP is being thorough but, as others have said, if you feel your heartbeat is going fast get to A&E - my husbands’ went up to 180 bpm one day - long night in A&E but they managed to sort it.