Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The critical point is do you inject @Troy22 ... makes a big difference to what advice we can give brother.

You're in the hands of really good people who know their stuff.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Troy22 - reading your posts, you mention Metformin only. If all you take is Metformin, it is unlikely you would have a medically concerning hypo. If you take other medications to help manage your diabetes that may not be the case.

As someone taking no medication for diabetes, I am happy to go to bed whatever my endings are, provided I feel OK. If I felt unwell, I might need to address that first.

I am 70/3.9 very regularly and thinks nothing of it. I usually feel absolutely fine. If there isn't a meal due soon, I might feel hungry, but I feel no illeffects at that level.

If you are taking medications designed to drive down your blood glucose numbers, such as insulin, Gliclazide or similar, at 3.9 you should be dealing with that mild hypo.

M

Member496333

Agree with @DCUKMod.

If you feel you are at risk of having hypos on Metformin then you should speak with your doctor. Metformin typically doesn't cause this to happen. However, if you are feeling unwell in the ~4 ranges then this is probably what's sometimes called a false hypo, which is when the brain malfunctions running on a lower glucose concentration than it has been accustomed to for many years. Having had one myself I would say there's nothing "false" about them, but that's another story for another day.

I am teetotal and have been for over two years, but I found that red wine and distilled spirits didn't really move the needle on my glucometer. I gave up for other reasons, but that is neither here nor there in this conversation. See your doctor if you think your medication may be putting you at risk.

Troy22

The critical point is do you inject @Troy22 ... makes a big difference to what advice we can give brother.

You're in the hands of really good people who know their stuff.
I don't know I'm really confused on this form so far. And the beginning I gave all that information and people keep assuming I'm type 1 or asking the question if I'm on medicine. So I keep copy and pasting it again. Can people not see the original first post on made?

Ok so I'm new on here but have been a type 2 diabetic for over 10 years. Didn't really have it fully controlled and was basically forced to make changes. .. lost 40 lbs and take 500mg metformin twice-daily. I have it pretty much under control. Hardly ever goes over 200 now and my last a1c was good.
Six months ago I just quit drinking alcohol (Coors light) all together because of low readings that I couldn't get back up. I don't like 70 before bed.
Honestly I really miss it. I feel way better but I wanna beer sometimes. Like on the mower, on the grill, and when we go see a band or something. Not gonna lie. I want a buzz. Not completely waisted but yeah, decent buzz. So two or three won't be worth my time. Obviously I know never drinking again is the smartest, safest way to go but I'm wondering if there is a way to party a little without hypo freaking me out... Or worse.

Troy22

@Troy22 - reading your posts, you mention Metformin only. If all you take is Metformin, it is unlikely you would have a medically concerning hypo. If you take other medications to help manage your diabetes that may not be the case.

As someone taking no medication for diabetes, I am happy to go to bed whatever my endings are, provided I feel OK. If I felt unwell, I might need to address that first.

I am 70/3.9 very regularly and thinks nothing of it. I usually feel absolutely fine. If there isn't a meal due soon, I might feel hungry, but I feel no illeffects at that level.

If you are taking medications designed to drive down your blood glucose numbers, such as insulin, Gliclazide or similar, at 3.9 you should be dealing with that mild hypo.
Hey thanks! No it's only hypo after drinking alcohol I like I stated on my original post. I take 500mg of metformin twice daily.

Original post...
Ok so I'm new on here but have been a type 2 diabetic for over 10 years. Didn't really have it fully controlled and was basically forced to make changes. .. lost 40 lbs and take 500mg metformin twice-daily. I have it pretty much under control. Hardly ever goes over 200 now and my last a1c was good.
Six months ago I just quit drinking alcohol (Coors light) all together because of low readings that I couldn't get back up. I don't like 70 before bed.
Honestly I really miss it. I feel way better but I wanna beer sometimes. Like on the mower, on the grill, and when we go see a band or something. Not gonna lie. I want a buzz. Not completely waisted but yeah, decent buzz. So two or three won't be worth my time. Obviously I know never drinking again is the smartest, safest way to go but I'm wondering if there is a way to party a little without hypo freaking me out... Or worse.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi @Troy22 ... there are T2s here who are reliant on insulin. I'd estimate most are not

That question of mine was to seek clarification as I couldn't reconcile the hypo concerns with "standard" T2s who don't inject.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m T1 but my old man is in the “pre-diabetic” category. He has lowish blood sugars on occasion - until he tried wearing a Libre sensor for a bit to see what foods affected him badly and therefore what to cut, he thought these “wobbly” episodes were related to his heart condition and the meds he’s on for it. Turns out he was dropping to the low 3mmol (multiply by 18 to get American). He’s been just sitting down and waiting it out for a few hours, and feeling terrible. Anyway, I gave him some of my dextrose tabs (3g glucose each), he takes one and the symptoms are gone in ten minutes. So you absolutely can have a low without being on meds higher up the scale than metformin.

So, onto drinking. I love it :D But as I follow a low carb diet myself, standard beers are out of the question for me. I drink low carb lager like Michelob Ultra or Skinny Lager, both are 3g carb a bottle. Or dry red or white (sometimes rose if I’m feeling frisky) wine, and neat gin and single malt whisky. So yes, the alcohol can drop me, but I just keep glucose tablets handy and dose those as accurately as I do my insulin. I don’t rely on carbs in my drinks to balance it out. One tablet brings me up by 0.6-1mmol, so even in a fairly compromised state I can work out how many to take if I’m low.

I don’t have a lawn to mow, and I’m veggie so don’t really grill, but I do go and see live music a lot! I stick to neat whisky then - less trips to the toilet ;)

Troy22

Hi @Troy22 ... there are T2s here who are reliant on insulin. I'd estimate most are not

That question of mine was to seek clarification as I couldn't reconcile the hypo concerns with "standard" T2s who don't inject.
I did not know that actually. I guess I just assumed that if you were type 2 you are not on insulin. I understand and thanks for your patience lol. This is what's worrying me about alcohol altogether.

Normally, the liver is the organ that stores and secretes glucose to the cells in the body to fuel them when you are not eating. The liver is also responsible for cleansing the body of toxins. The liver does not recognize alcohol as food. Instead, it sees it as a drug and a toxin. When alcohol is in the system, the liver changes gears and begins to detoxify in attempt to get rid of the alcohol. Unfortunately, the liver cannot do both jobs at the same time. While it is detoxifying, it stops secreting glucose. Causing hypo.

One time camping I had about eight beers. Thought I would check it before bed and it was around 70. Which made no sense because I always eat before I drank. So at this point I ate a good portion of potato chips and nothing happened. I waited a while longer with obviously no alcohol consumption anymore, and a candy and everything in the camper pretty much lol. It never went back up. It seems like when it drops from alcohol I can't get it back up. I finally passed out because it was so late and I was worried about that. When I woke it was at a decent number and of course I felt horrible. Partially from alcohol and partially from being diabetic and trying fix the issue after the fact. the only information I can really rely on that I have found online is that alcohol simply causes hypo. Problem is it don't matter if I have high carb drinks and eat a lot of food the alcohol wins when it comes to lowering. ☹️ ... I just maybe SOL.

Troy22

I’m T1 but my old man is in the “pre-diabetic” category. He has lowish blood sugars on occasion - until he tried wearing a Libre sensor for a bit to see what foods affected him badly and therefore what to cut, he thought these “wobbly” episodes were related to his heart condition and the meds he’s on for it. Turns out he was dropping to the low 3mmol (multiply by 18 to get American). He’s been just sitting down and waiting it out for a few hours, and feeling terrible. Anyway, I gave him some of my dextrose tabs (3g glucose each), he takes one and the symptoms are gone in ten minutes. So you absolutely can have a low without being on meds higher up the scale than metformin.

So, onto drinking. I love it :D But as I follow a low carb diet myself, standard beers are out of the question for me. I drink low carb lager like Michelob Ultra or Skinny Lager, both are 3g carb a bottle. Or dry red or white (sometimes rose if I’m feeling frisky) wine, and neat gin and single malt whisky. So yes, the alcohol can drop me, but I just keep glucose tablets handy and dose those as accurately as I do my insulin. I don’t rely on carbs in my drinks to balance it out. One tablet brings me up by 0.6-1mmol, so even in a fairly compromised state I can work out how many to take if I’m low.

I don’t have a lawn to mow, and I’m veggie so don’t really grill, but I do go and see live music a lot! I stick to neat whisky then - less trips to the toilet ;)

This is what's worrying me about alcohol altogether.

Normally, the liver is the organ that stores and secretes glucose to the cells in the body to fuel them when you are not eating. The liver is also responsible for cleansing the body of toxins. The liver does not recognize alcohol as food. Instead, it sees it as a drug and a toxin. When alcohol is in the system, the liver changes gears and begins to detoxify in attempt to get rid of the alcohol. Unfortunately, the liver cannot do both jobs at the same time. While it is detoxifying, it stops secreting glucose. Causing hypo.

One time camping I had about eight beers. Thought I would check it before bed and it was around 70. Which made no sense because I always eat before I drank. So at this point I ate a good portion of potato chips and nothing happened. I waited a while longer with obviously no alcohol consumption anymore, and a candy and everything in the camper pretty much lol. It never went back up. It seems like when it drops from alcohol I can't get it back up. I finally passed out because it was so late and I was worried about that. When I woke it was at a decent number and of course I felt horrible. Partially from alcohol and partially from being diabetic and trying fix the issue after the fact. the only information I can really rely on that I have found online is that alcohol simply causes hypo. Problem is it don't matter if I have high carb drinks and eat a lot of food the alcohol wins when it comes to lowering. ☹️ ... I just maybe SOL.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Troy, to reiterate, if you are just taking Metformin, and are otherwise well, your body will look after you.

If you want to have a drink, give it a go, but give it a go in moderation to start with. Starting with a binge session would likely end with a Nast you hangover anyway, but then, a non-diabetic would quit even likely end up having a hangover too.

To a non-diabetic, or diabetic controlled by lifestyle or "gentle" meds, like Metformin, 3.9 is not of concern.

Personally, in my day to day life, I regularly have 3.9s and below, and remain well and healthy, feeling just fine throughout it all. I sometimes have a glass of wine, or gin and tonic without harm. I'm actually away from home at the moment, and just haven't bothered with alcohol since I've been away. No reason, I just haven't bothered.k

Bottom line is nobody here can predict with certainty how another person will react to a given set of circumstances. You have to make your own decision, whether you try's having the odd drink every now and then, to see how it goes, or whether you just decide to pass on alcohol for the time being.

The ball is very much in your own court.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

That’s a shame, maybe it just doesn’t agree with you any more :( Is your life in ok shape? Might be worth getting that checked if you are having these issues.

(Btw, you not need to paste the same answer to every reply you get, I was able to see the same thing you’d written to someone else x)