I wanna drink sometimes

Troy22

Ok so I'm new on here but have been a type 2 diabetic for over 10 years. Didn't really have it fully controlled and was basically forced to make changes. .. lost 40 lbs and take 500mg metformin twice-daily. I have it pretty much under control. Hardly ever goes over 200 now and my last a1c was good.
Six months ago I just quit drinking alcohol (Coors light) all together because of low readings that I couldn't get back up. I don't like 70 before bed.
Honestly I really miss it. I feel way better but I wanna beer sometimes. Like on the mower, on the grill, and when we go see a band or something. Not gonna lie. I want a buzz. Not completely waisted but yeah, decent buzz. So two or three won't be worth my time. Obviously I know never drinking again is the smartest, safest way to go but I'm wondering if there is a way to party a little without hypo freaking me out... Or worse. Thanks alot and have a great night y'all.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I sympathise ... Coors is the best beer in the world. :) Drank a lot of them when I was in the U.S.

Really low carb beers are the best way to go.. Welcome by the way

Troy22

I sympathise ... Coors is the best beer in the world. :) Drank a lot of them when I was in the U.S.

Really low carb beers are the best way to go.. Welcome by the way
Thank you very much haha.. yes sir. I never drank anything else but my research is saying 2/3 beers. That's just not any fun lol. I'm seeing wine is best. I'm afraid I'd have to drink a lot to feel anything. I had a six pack and was eating while drinking and went to bed when it was around 100. Obviously to low for me considering. I'm just hoping someone knows a trick lol. Thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Where are you from Troy?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I'm married to a girl from Washington State.

Red wine might agree with you mate :)

Troy22

That's cool! Small world

Never really had wine. Never liked it lol. Does it have added sugar? Or is that just wine coolers?
I'm just concerned that all that carbs I had in beer and it still drop too low that something with hardly any carbs and sugar would drop lower because of the alcohol of course.

Troy22

I'm just concerned that all that carbs I had in beer and it still drop too low that something with hardly any carbs and sugar would drop lower because of the alcohol of course.
Probably why I just gave up lol.. low numbers are definitely a buzzkill

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
No Troy ... very low in carbs. But many diabetics prefer gins, vodka, whiskey, bacardi., rum etc.

I can't, save for maybe for the occasional one or two. As with everything in life, moderation.

You're a T1?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
OK ... and no need for the "sir" with an Australian. But thank you for the salutation :)

What's your diet look like? I'm T2 as well

Troy22

OK ... and no need for the "sir" with an Australian. But thank you for the salutation :)

What's your diet look like? I'm T2 as well
Haha all good.. I'm a southern boy and it's a habit. Kinda like saying ma'am.

Well it can be better always. But that's the main thing I change to lose 40 lb and get my A1C down. .well and drinking. I drank at least three times a week before quiting..As far as diet ,like tonight I had four good-sized tacos with corn tortilla shells and my sugar was just 189 3 hours after eating. I was hungry lol. Usually eat better. Every now and then burger and fries. I eat a lot of protein. My man sugar snack is Reese's cups because of the protein level. Don't seem to Jack me up as much. Try to eat fruit everyday

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No sir.. T2

Hi Troy,

Welcome to the forum. Please don't call me "Sir" either.. That was how we addressed a head master at school. (UK.)

Are you on any medication for your diabetes? If so, what sort prescribed?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Gotta sign off Troy for now ... but we'll catch up I hope :)

BUT, the fruits, the corn, the buns, the fries and the cups are not good at all for anyone. I know the typical American diet very well. For a diabetic, hardly ideal. They're loaded with massive carbs which turn to sugars and make the "condition " far worse.

Get that under control and the "Coors" will not be anywhere near the problem they seem to be now.

You've lucked out in getting here, IMMENSE knowledge of diabetes. Take care :) Mike

P.S. I had to ask my wife about the reese cups ... how indulgent can you get !!

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm married to a girl from Washington State.

Red wine might agree with you mate :)

Ya old softie @Mike D . :)
I married a girl from this area.. (Framlingham, UK.) There are no "mountains" to speak of & there is no way you can drive "90 down the country British lanes" regardless of having the skills of a fighter pilot..
"Poetic licence."

However, you can have a drink @Troy22 . Let's see what meds you might be on & find a compromise..? Alcohol keeps the liver busy & retards the liver dumping glycogen. But it can also "mask" a low..?

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi Troy, and welcome to the forums
I don't like 70 before bed.
I don't like 70 at any time of day :). But if you are getting hypos then I assume you must be on insulin, as 70 is only a problem if it goes lower (which is all too possible if you are on insulin).
The reason alcohol leads to lows is that it keeps your liver busy , and your liver is part of a feedback loop that pumps out more sugar if your blood sugar goes too low. If you're not on insulin (or insulin increasing meds) then you won't go lower than 70, as your body won't pump in excess insulin when you're already low. So, to advise, we need to know what meds you're on....

Reactions: jjraak

Troy22

Hi Troy,

Welcome to the forum. Please don't call me "Sir" either.. That was how we addressed a head master at school. (UK.)

Oh ok. I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday thank you.

Hi Troy,

Ok so I'm new on here but have been a type 2 diabetic for over 10 years. Didn't really have it fully controlled and was basically forced to make changes. .. lost 40 lbs and take 500mg metformin twice-daily. I have it pretty much under control. Hardly ever goes over 200 now and my last a1c was good.
Six months ago I just quit drinking alcohol (Coors light) all together because of low readings that I couldn't get back up. I don't like 70 before bed.
Honestly I really miss it. I feel way better but I wanna beer sometimes. Like on the mower, on the grill, and when we go see a band or something. Not gonna lie. I want a buzz. Not completely waisted but yeah, decent buzz. So two or three won't be worth my time. Obviously I know never drinking again is the smartest, safest way to go but I'm wondering if there is a way to party a little without hypo freaking me out... Or worse.

Troy22

Gotta sign off Troy for now ... but we'll catch up I hope :)

BUT, the fruits, the corn, the buns, the fries and the cups are not good at all for anyone. I know the typical American diet very well. For a diabetic, hardly ideal. They're loaded with massive carbs which turn to sugars and make the "condition " far worse.

Get that under control and the "Coors" will not be anywhere near the problem they seem to be now.

You've lucked out in getting here, IMMENSE knowledge of diabetes. Take care :) Mike

P.S. I had to ask my wife about the reese cups ... how indulgent can you get !![/QUOT
Yes the American diet is horrible! you really don't have the option to eat healthy here unless you are rich or have a good garden and live in the right place. It's really difficult.I really don't mind the fruit because I pretty much have to get nutrients in some way. Not to mention It don't raise my sugar a whole lot unless I eat too much. And as far as bread I tried to stay away from white bread. The corn tortillas are better than flour tortillas when it comes to carbs and high sugars. I have actually checked myself 20 to 30 times a day for a long time to see what different foods done to me. It's how I've got it under control.from everything I've read it seems that alcohol is just a No-No for any diabetic. Thanks for everything and have a good night.

Troy22

Hi Troy, and welcome to the forums

I don't like 70 at any time of day :). But if you are getting hypos then I assume you must be on insulin, as 70 is only a problem if it goes lower (which is all too possible if you are on insulin).
The reason alcohol leads to lows is that it keeps your liver busy , and your liver is part of a feedback loop that pumps out more sugar if your blood sugar goes too low. If you're not on insulin (or insulin increasing meds) then you won't go lower than 70, as your body won't pump in excess insulin when you're already low. So, to advise, we need to know what meds you're on....
Honestly I really miss it. I feel way better but I wanna beer sometimes. Like on the mower, on the grill, and when we go see a band or something. Not gonna lie. I want a buzz. Not completely waisted but yeah, decent buzz. So two or three won't be worth my time. Obviously I know never drinking again is the smartest, safest way to go but I'm wondering if there is a way to party a little without hypo freaking me out... Or worse.