Newly(ish) diagnosed - should I be more worried than I am?

Scufflers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

I was diagnosed mid January following an Hba1c of 68 in December and then 54 start of January and immediately put onto Metformin. My nurse wanted me to go to 2000mg but I'm taking 1500mgs as any more just gives me constant tummy issues - nurse says thats fine and "It's your diabetes, do what works for you". I'm on rivaroxaban which I believe can also raise BG and had no issues until I changed to it from Warfarin which could be a co-incidence but my nurse swept that away saying there's no evidence that rivaroxaban causes hyperglycemia. Next Hba1c end of March....

I've lost 9kgs/20lbs since diagnosis when I started at 121kgs/266lbs (I'm six foot), and I bought a monitor to check my BG levels. I've reduced my carb intake significantly and my BG fasting and pre-post prandial are well within recommended levels and usually at the levels for non diabetics although I'm aware this is most likely due to the Metformin.

I'm exercising for at least 40 minutes a day (jogging, dancing etc) and I feel like I can get this beat and get to a point whereby I control via diet alone. I'm not concerned by the diagnosis as I have made significant changes to my life style such as the exercise and low carb diet but feel like maybe I should be more worried?

Reactions: MyMeltingBrain

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds to me like you've got a good handle on things. I'd say don't worry and keep on doing what you are :).

Reactions: Scufflers

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Scufflers
You have made a great start, got yourself a meter, increased your exercise and most importantly realised that it's the carbs you have to watch. The improvements you're seeing are because of the changes you have made. Metformin helps a little with insulin resistance and limiting the release of stored glucose from your liver but your diet has the biggest impact on glucose levels.
Just thought I'd mention that I've been on rivaroxaban for some time, can't say I've noticed it causing higher levels

Reactions: Scufflers

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I was diagnosed mid January following an Hba1c of 68 in December and then 54 start of January and immediately put onto Metformin. My nurse wanted me to go to 2000mg but I'm taking 1500mgs as any more just gives me constant tummy issues - nurse says thats fine and "It's your diabetes, do what works for you". I'm on rivaroxaban which I believe can also raise BG and had no issues until I changed to it from Warfarin which could be a co-incidence but my nurse swept that away saying there's no evidence that rivaroxaban causes hyperglycemia. Next Hba1c end of March....

I've lost 9kgs/20lbs since diagnosis when I started at 121kgs/266lbs (I'm six foot), and I bought a monitor to check my BG levels. I've reduced my carb intake significantly and my BG fasting and pre-post prandial are well within recommended levels and usually at the levels for non diabetics although I'm aware this is most likely due to the Metformin.

I'm exercising for at least 40 minutes a day (jogging, dancing etc) and I feel like I can get this beat and get to a point whereby I control via diet alone. I'm not concerned by the diagnosis as I have made significant changes to my life style such as the exercise and low carb diet but feel like maybe I should be more worried?
Should you be more worried.... I don't think so. You've got a pretty good handle on things already and no, that's not the metformin bringing your numbers down.. That's your own doing. It can make a little dent, but that's about it. Besides, stress (worrying) can bring your blood sugars back up. So I'd say, stay the course and relax. You're doing exceptionally well.