After 3 months of binging...glucose spikes

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Hi all. I was doing really well this past year - lost in total 60 lbs. But as usual, once work intensified in the autumn and then with a lot of commitments that involved travel, hotels, people, buffets, I just lost the plot and began to binge over the Christmas break. I'll be honest...over the entire three months. Sporadically in control, but binging. I stopped checking my glucose. Now that I'm settled back home and the big stresses are almost over, I've started measuring everything again. I gained 30 lbs in three months. My glucose with controlled LCHF diet and some intermittent fasting WAS (BEFORE) below 100 to 1.0 in the a.m., and now it is over 125 in the morning. I weigh 198.6 lbs at present. I managed to get my weight to 169 lbs in the summer.

Will this settle down if I get my weight back down? I'm about 8-9 years into this diagnosis of pre-diabetic/diabetic.

Thoughts appreciated with any evidence you can share that will give me hope to continue. I'm pretty frustrated. I'm off all meds except Viktoza 1.8 mg/day. My cholesterol is high, and my doctor and I are battling out whether or not I should go on a statin. I'm 52. I don't want to do the statin thing, and can't figure out if I should do this temporarily or not. I had all my heart checks done two years ago, and at that time we had the same argument going...my heart checks proved I had a 0.1% chance of any heart incidence in the next two years. However, this binge-pattern (it is a pattern I'm STILL working on kicking and when I'm home it's fine)...may have changed things a bit. My current H1AC is 5.7.

Your fabulous insights appreciated...again. Still on this journey!

MM

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I was doing really well this past year - lost in total 60 lbs. But as usual, once work intensified in the autumn and then with a lot of commitments that involved travel, hotels, people, buffets, I just lost the plot and began to binge over the Christmas break. I'll be honest...over the entire three months. Sporadically in control, but binging. I stopped checking my glucose. Now that I'm settled back home and the big stresses are almost over, I've started measuring everything again. I gained 30 lbs in three months. My glucose with controlled LCHF diet and some intermittent fasting WAS (BEFORE) below 100 to 1.0 in the a.m., and now it is over 125 in the morning. I weigh 198.6 lbs at present. I managed to get my weight to 169 lbs in the summer.

Will this settle down if I get my weight back down? I'm about 8-9 years into this diagnosis of pre-diabetic/diabetic.

Thoughts appreciated with any evidence you can share that will give me hope to continue. I'm pretty frustrated. I'm off all meds except Viktoza 1.8 mg/day. My cholesterol is high, and my doctor and I are battling out whether or not I should go on a statin. I'm 52. I don't want to do the statin thing, and can't figure out if I should do this temporarily or not. I had all my heart checks done two years ago, and at that time we had the same argument going...my heart checks proved I had a 0.1% chance of any heart incidence in the next two years. However, this binge-pattern (it is a pattern I'm STILL working on kicking and when I'm home it's fine)...may have changed things a bit. My current H1AC is 5.7.

Your fabulous insights appreciated...again. Still on this journey!

MM
————————————————
Hi MM

Well done for getting back on the band wagon! It’s no easy achievement and is downright difficult, but you’ve done it and you can now move forward. Don’t beat yourself up by dwelling on what was, it’s futile and a waste of energy. Turn the page and start afresh by getting your weight down, exercise more and make wise food choices. Once you start doing this, everything else will fall into place and improve.

Good luck and sending you loads of encouragement. :):):)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I was told I was prediabetic, and just advised to cut down on sugar, I went low carb instead. Very good results at the six month check, and then stayed back in the normal range at the annual checks for a while - but my chocolate and cake habit was too easy to slip back into once I relaxed my diet a little.
Three years later and I was fully diabetic.
This time round I am trying to stay on track and accept that I'll have to stay on a low carb diet for life. Not always easy as I still have a sweet tooth, there have been a couple of wobbles but I'm still in range this time round.
I need to make myself test every week, as a check on my tendency to slide.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
weight dropping and increasing is not a good thing - that puts pressure on the heart - and probably on a metabolism just beginning to go back into normal mode needing to put all the emergency measures back in place very quickly.
I think that diet is the key - losing weight is something that shows you are eating right - I lost weight without trying by concentrating on my blood glucose alone. So often a diet is a way to punish the body for daring to gain weight, when it is saving your life in the only way it has, stashing away the carbs as fat.
Maybe take the long view - find a way of eating which it is possible to maintain long term, and decide that not eating at all is better than eating the wrong things. I have chocolate, but it is a 95 percent cocoa one, and I have just one square at a time.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

I can see no reason why it shouldn't settle back down, though weight fluctuation like that is never a good thing and may affect your metabolism.

Regarding binge eating and buffets etc, I just stick to things that are 'less bad for me to over-eat'. So when I over-eat I do so on things which are Low Carb - best case on meats or fatty fish, worst case cheese or nuts. If I can't find anything at all that is low carb, then I fast until I can get to a supermarket.

I hope this helps.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who is very strict with what I eat. I planned for Christmas as my family has a .lot of traditions around food- maybe in a few years we may have some of them but as it was less than 6 months I didn't take a chance- we did seafood- lobster and prawns- really nice.

I recently went to a wedding and there was nothing that I could eat so I didn't eat anything. I think your story is a good thing for us all to learn from. I'm really strict because 1 biscuit, 1 meal with rice or potato, 1 piece of toast would not be enough for me. I find it easier to hav close to none. I could go off the rail very easily. It's one of the reasons I test- keeps me on the straight and narrow as it were. By sticking to very low carb food I just eat until I'm not hungry. Without carbs the hunger doesn't come as much.

However, you have done it once- you can do it again and you've learned so much so you are a bit in front of where you were. We can't be perfect but we can keep getting back on the wagon.

Good luck- stick around- You can do it you've already shown that.