LCHF and reflux?

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
If I’m prone to reflux would it be wise to use this high fat method to lower my blood sugars?

I can take Omaprozol to line my gullet but don’t wish to take more drugs.

Any body had this experience as it feels like a double whammy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF cured mine too! I’d been on Esomeprazole (another med in the PPI group like Omeprazole) regularly for years and still had to hit the Gaviscon too after eating sometimes. About a year ago I realised my Gaviscon bottle was out of date as I hadn’t used it since changing my diet. I have now been off the PPI for a year and my new bottle of Gaviscon which my GP advised me to get remains unopened!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine too, although I wasn't on a PPI just took lots of ranitadine

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
Ah. Thanks guys.

D

Deleted member 308541

Mine too, although I wasn't on a PPI just took lots of ranitadine
Ranitidine has been recalled by the manufacturers here in Australia, I had to find another stomach liner / protector for the anti inflammatory tablets I also take.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cutting out gluten cured mine - and most gluten containing foods are avoided on LCHF.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo They have recalled it in the UK too but I haven't needed any in the last 11 months. LCHF has helped me in so many ways

D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo They have recalled it in the UK too but I haven't needed any in the last 11 months. LCHF has helped me in so many ways
As I said, I take anti inflammatory tablets (Diclofenac), I also take an anti coagulant called Rivaroxaban, so my guts need some protection to stop the lining getting ripped off and causing a bleed.

I now take Omeprazole as a Rani' replacement instead.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to take Ranitidine very single day - or I would wake up with reflux in the night. Since I've started low carb, I haven't needed the tablets once.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get pretty bad acid reflux, but when I'm actually sticking to low-carb, it goes away.
The caveat with this is that when I'm not low-carbing, I tend to drink a lot of alcohol and over-eat in general, so it may be that I'm just avoiding those triggers, as opposed to LCHF being a specific remedy. Still, when I'm low-carbing, I don't get any attacks, so it would certainly be possible to do LCHF and manage reflux.

Reactions: Chatterbox

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
This lack of since starting the LCHB diet is indeed great news!!! Thanks again all.