Back for help

paintylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed a few years ago and was doing really well. A year ago financial problems ment I couldn't afford strips but I thought hey not a problem!! So I slipped back into bad habits (yes I even stopped coming here) but after a rather unrestrained festive season and various colds and pain issues I know I need to get my act back together. Well I've put the strips on my credit card and I'm back. Slightly embarrassed and horrified with my test results (hovering around 10! Not helped by a broken tooth leading to a horrid abscess last week) Any advice on how to get back on track is most welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed a few years ago and was doing really well. A year ago financial problems ment I couldn't afford strips but I thought hey not a problem!! So I slipped back into bad habits (yes I even stopped coming here) but after a rather unrestrained festive season and various colds and pain issues I know I need to get my act back together. Well I've put the strips on my credit card and I'm back. Slightly embarrassed and horrified with my test results (hovering around 10! Not helped by a broken tooth leading to a horrid abscess last week) Any advice on how to get back on track is most welcome.
Hello, and welcome back!
Just go through the home and hide, bin or bring to the foodbank anything that is too carby. (My husband takes his treats to work with him, so I'm not tempted. ;) ). If it's not around, you can't spike on it. Go over your grocery list with a red pen too. And just start from scratch... https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help refresh your low carb memory. ;)

I hope your abscess is a whole lot better! (Remember mine all too well. Nasty things).
Jo

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm in a similar boat: I took my eye off the 'staying healthy' ball, and now I've got all kinds of worries. The only plus point is, like you, I was doing well with my diabetes control at one point, and I guess I can do it again (and you too!). I made a start about a month ago after a shock at the doctors, and got a little weight off. I've had a bit of a lapse of late, but I'm still ahead of where I was a month ago.
My plan is to keep it simple: I like low-carb food and coffee, so I'm going to try to keep as low-carb as I can. My big vices are crisps, bread and alcohol, so I'm trying to really keep well away from that sort of stuff. My main goal is to get my liver emptied of stored glucose and get my weight down by about 30lbs.
I guess my advice would be to try to condense your concerns into a main 'do' and a main 'don't', and then have some sort of achievable goal in mind- something specific and measurable. I'm no-one's example to follow, but I think the plan I'm going for should more or less work. Good luck with it!

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Get right back on the wagon by going back to square one! Here's how I'd do it, if I were in your shoes:
Make a simple menu. Start with simple, whole foods. Carbs are easier to count that way!
Get a handle on what foods are friendly to you (by testing before and after meals). Supplement that with daily exercise/walk. :)