Insulin and weight loss

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I got told I'm going to start slow acting insulin soon. Also been told to loose weight.

I heard insulin makes you put weight on. Not sure what to expect?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you eating in a typical day and are you on any other meds?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Providing you keep to a sensible way of eating you shouldn't put on weight, Insulin will if misused to go back to a carb rich diet make putting on weight easier, but if used the right way to cover your normal diet then you should have no problems.........I was 9st 6lbs when I started Insulin in 2005 and still weigh the same give or take the odd pound or two.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
You heard right.
Type 2 Diabetes is a form of Insulin Resistance meaning your Blood Glucose is high because you need a huge amount of Insulin to force the glucose into muscle and fat cells. Note that in Type 2 the pancreas is being overworked into producing far more Insulin than normal - several medications are designed to squeeze even more out of it until it fails.
At this point (or before if you are lucky), conventional medicine prescribes Insulin to compensate for the failing pancreas.

Carbohydrates are the main culprit for causing Glucose in the blood stream. Thus a high Carb meal triggers high Insulin production to remove the dangerous levels of Glucose in the blood by storing excess glucose into fat cells i.e. making you fatter.
But this tend to make Insulin Resistance even worse, requiring more Insulin and around we go in a vicious circle!

That is why many here choose to cut carbs and get off Insulin and other diabetes medications (except in some cases for Metformin).

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
See also Jason Fung on why treating type 2 with insulin without lowering their carb intake is a bad idea:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/book-change-world-diabetes-code-dr-jason-fung
You may not get this from your doctor who will doubtless only be looking at your blood sugars where he/she should be looking at your insulin levels too. Either and most likely you are still producing lots of insulin and are resistant to it or your insulin supply has faltered. Good way to tell this clinically is a C Peptide test.