1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin and weight loss

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Anfalas, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Anfalas

Anfalas Type 2 · Member

Hello, I got told I'm going to start slow acting insulin soon. Also been told to loose weight.

I heard insulin makes you put weight on. Not sure what to expect?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What are you eating in a typical day and are you on any other meds?

3. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Providing you keep to a sensible way of eating you shouldn't put on weight, Insulin will if misused to go back to a carb rich diet make putting on weight easier, but if used the right way to cover your normal diet then you should have no problems.........I was 9st 6lbs when I started Insulin in 2005 and still weigh the same give or take the odd pound or two.

4. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You heard right.
    Type 2 Diabetes is a form of Insulin Resistance meaning your Blood Glucose is high because you need a huge amount of Insulin to force the glucose into muscle and fat cells. Note that in Type 2 the pancreas is being overworked into producing far more Insulin than normal - several medications are designed to squeeze even more out of it until it fails.
    At this point (or before if you are lucky), conventional medicine prescribes Insulin to compensate for the failing pancreas.

Carbohydrates are the main culprit for causing Glucose in the blood stream. Thus a high Carb meal triggers high Insulin production to remove the dangerous levels of Glucose in the blood by storing excess glucose into fat cells i.e. making you fatter.
    But this tend to make Insulin Resistance even worse, requiring more Insulin and around we go in a vicious circle!

That is why many here choose to cut carbs and get off Insulin and other diabetes medications (except in some cases for Metformin).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

See also Jason Fung on why treating type 2 with insulin without lowering their carb intake is a bad idea:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/book-change-world-diabetes-code-dr-jason-fung
    You may not get this from your doctor who will doubtless only be looking at your blood sugars where he/she should be looking at your insulin levels too. Either and most likely you are still producing lots of insulin and are resistant to it or your insulin supply has faltered. Good way to tell this clinically is a C Peptide test.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook