Heavy legs whilst running

Hello
I am 52 years old and have been type 1 diabetic for 29 years. As a child I was a very good runner and ran for England.
Over the years I have started running (usually lasts for a couple of months) and am currently running 3/4 times a week and have been doing so for about 5 weeks. I am trying not to get competitive, as it affects my BS levels too much. I want to run to keep fit and healthy and help to lower my blood pressure. What I would like to know is, “Why do my legs feel heavy when I run”. Is this anything diabetes related because I would have thought after 6 weeks it should be easing now?
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A lot of people have bad circulation in their legs and higher Bg levels could thicken the blood and make it worse? So it could be diabetes related or not at all. You need to check with your doctor and see what is causing it. Only they can determine the cause and the issues surrounding the cause. I do know an herb called horse chestnut helps with leg pain, circulation, heaviness, cramps etc. Be sure to read the warnings about it along with everything else.

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/horse-chestnut.html
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1055/horse-chestnut

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hello
I am 52 years old and have been type 1 diabetic for 29 years. As a child I was a very good runner and ran for England.
Over the years I have started running (usually lasts for a couple of months) and am currently running 3/4 times a week and have been doing so for about 5 weeks. I am trying not to get competitive, as it affects my BS levels too much. I want to run to keep fit and healthy and help to lower my blood pressure. What I would like to know is, “Why do my legs feel heavy when I run”. Is this anything diabetes related because I would have thought after 6 weeks it should be easing now?
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated thank you.
I'm not a medical expert, but are you taking statins? I have read they can cause muscle pain and heaviness. If so you might like to ask your doctor to try you on different statin.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I get similar heaviness, but I put mine down to peripheral neuropathy that I've had for some years now, plus old age in general. I also notice a tired burning pain if I cycle too hard which never seems to improve the more I exercise.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
“Why do my legs feel heavy when I run
I'm very different to you, I'm T2 diet controlled and i hate running! But i love to walk. One of my pre diagnosis symptoms was legs like lead. When I walk sometimes I start off stiff and sluggish but after awhile things loosen up and flow, the rhythm kicks in and i feel good. Pre diagnosis i'd start to walk and nothing changed I still felt the same 2 miles in with legs like lead. My times went down, it took me longer to get anywhere. Low carb fixed this. My sugars were never high, my T1 diabetes friends "dream" of my diagnosis levels but something was very wrong none the less. So short question, have you tried low carb?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, well it could be the 6 weeks thing is not long enough. Obviously it is always best to check with a Dr when doing something different is causing an issue but maybe another few weeks might help. When I first started running it took a good 8 weeks to bed in. I am sure you will be running For England again soon, even at 52! x

Thank you everybody for your replies - I had forgotten I had even posted this!!
That’s another problem - memory. I am convinced diabetic hypos and variants in blood sugar readings can cause this. Does anybody else with T1 diabetes suffer with memory problems?