Reactions to trulicity

louch1

Evening.
Has anyone else been placed on this once a week medication and had problems with it. I had my first dose on Wednesday . It’s been a rollercoaster. I have waves of nausea and upset stomach. Does this pass. I hate feeling like this. I am still on metormin . Any suggestions on foods to either avoid or help quell the nausea. Thank you for any help.

MollieB

For many people it will pass. Some may have it only on the day of injection (which will either go away with future injections or they will always have some degree of problem on the first/second day); some may have an issue with in for a few weeks after initially starting, and, for some, it doesn't go away (and some have no issues at all). The manufacturer's website said to let your doctor know you are having issues and also
  • Eat smaller meals — try splitting your three daily meals into four or more smaller ones
  • Stop eating when you feel full
  • Avoid fried or fatty foods
  • Try eating bland foods like toast, crackers, or rice
(Not necessarily forever, just until you get used to it)

tsplover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Louch1 I was about to ask the self same question. Started mine Tuesday same problems. Not much fun. Will just have to persevere.

Reactions: HighJinx22

almurtada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Evening.
Has anyone else been placed on this once a week medication and had problems with it. I had my first dose on Wednesday . It’s been a rollercoaster. I have waves of nausea and upset stomach. Does this pass. I hate feeling like this. I am still on metormin . Any suggestions on foods to either avoid or help quell the nausea. Thank you for any help.
I am under this medication for more than two years with no noticeable problem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Trulicity for five weeks now. First two weeks were difficult with nausea and reflux but now quiet settled. My blood glucose levels have dropped dramatically and I have lost four kilos. Try eating smaller meals with a mid morning/afernoon snack (piece of fruit). I am also taking 500mg Metformin every three days.
Push through the first couple of weeks of nausea and reflux and things will settle down.

Lucy_Betts_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not being allowed to have chocolate
I have been on Trulicity for six weeks now. I was warned by my diabetic nurse about side effects but she said they usually pass by the third injection. I have been very lucky, no side effects at all except to lose weight which is a win win for me. I have almost completely lost my appetite (which has no doubt contributed to the weight loss) and my blood sugars are within normal ranges. I appreciate that it doesn't work for everyone but it is changing my life for the better. At last I feel as though the 'old' me is on the way back. Even with COVID-19 and working from home, my mental health is better than it has been for years and its all because of this once a week injection that is helping me to lose weight. So far I have lost over a stone

Reactions: Kiwichick45

Kelseymay

I may well be going on this drug but have liver and bowel problems so a decision has to be made on that. I am currently on alogliptin as can't take metformin and a few other drugs so my options are this or insulin really...so good to hear good results after initial reactive symptoms

Elizabeth69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I struggled with Trulicity for 3 months and for me the stomach pain got worse and worse . Had my hbac1 test results and they were at 80 . It did nothing for me apart from make me feel lousy . Started with a basal insulin tested hbac1 again last week and had a result of 74 . Despite 60 units of base line insulin . Now adding a fast acting insulin before meals . For me Trulicity was awful and actually didn’t work at all .

LadyFlame

I was put on trulicity it gave me agonising stomach pains and a blocked colon,(Shown on an ultrasound and yet I was not told it could be trulicity causing this) at the 6 months mark I had shingles all over my face and body. I have stopped taking this but now my blood sugars are out of control, I suspect down to the shingles which are ongoing another outbreak last week. I do not believe I should have been put on this drug as I have medical conditions that contraindicate it. My bloods were well controlled between 5.3 and 6 for over 15 years. This medication is known to cause shingles and the aftereffect of shingles is an inability to control blood sugars. I have to ask how can a GP who takes a hypocritic oath justify putting diabetic patients on a medication that can cause shingles when it is an established fact after shingles you have uncontrolled blood sugars. I am to say the least disgusted. There were also other side effects but those are the worst, this medication should not be licenced for prescription my reasoning is if it is known to cause shingles and shingles cause uncontrolled blood sugars it is utterly unethical as well as dangerous to put diabetic patients on it.

leonard49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on Trulicity for nearly 3 months. The first month was terrible with nausea and sickness. Now I find the day after I have my injection I get terrible nausea and sometimes vomiting. The rest of the time I have slight nausea on and off, and generally not myself' although the nausea is bearable. I've been thinking of giving it up, but my sugar levels have come down to about 7, which is really good for me. I've also lost a couple of pounds which is good. I've been reading comments about insulin, which is probably my next step. To be honest, I don't think I will be much better off with that. I am still taking Metformin twice a day.

EnidB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started on Trulicity in September 2021 and had all the nausea, stomach pains etc for about 3 weeks by week 4 just the nausea and then ok thankfully . It did bring my sugars down but I’ve noticed for the last month that they are really high . I’m on 0.5mg a week plus 2000 Mg metformin a day and have been a diabetic for 10 years
Is this expected behaviour for such a short period? The only change is that I have gained 10lbs and due to a hip issue not been exercising from about November , though I did start back yesterday .
Because it’s so high I’ve cut everything that is high in sugar and almost all carbs to try and bring it down … my morning sugars are 11 and during the day they are between 8.5-10. Normally I’ve been reading between 5-8.
im gonna ring my doc on Monday to see if I shd increase the dose but am reluctant to return to those horrid side effects and will it only work for a few months again ?
Would be interested to please hear of anyone who has been in the same boat . Thanks

Last edited:

Zaphod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fatty food,
Started on trulicity 5 months ago - few problems at first. dose increased from 0.75 mf to1.5mg /week plus 1.5g metformin. Morning bgs went down from 7.5 to 6, weight down by 4 kg. No stomach problems However after first month started with leg pains in the right leg, got really bad I have to take 120mg of codeine, 2g of paracetamol, 800 mg of ibuprophen per day. Cannot walk now or sleep. Sitting is the only respite.
I just hope that his is not a side effect of trulicity so that I can stay on the medication.

Please comment if this has happened to you

John 74

AngelSix60008

This will sound stupid but it really worked... chicken broth. Drink chicken broth...you know the cubes ( or the stock crystals) toss them in hot water and drink the soup. I don't know if it is the warmth, or the salt, or the protein but it helps. I keep it in an insulated cup to keep it hot and sip at it and it makes it better. My heart doctor pitched a fit over it (too much salt he said) but he wasn't the one trying to teach kids with nausea. I hope it helps you. I don't have access to the other favours like beef or vegetables but it might work too if you aren't a chicken fan.

Reactions: HighJinx22

AngelSix60008

I have been blaming the metformin but maybe it is the Trulicity (I am on my 4th dose).... all I know is since my diagnosis a month ago I have lost 7 kg and I don't want to eat (I, never!, don't want to eat... I once had a raging fever and my coworkers at school joked I wasn't sick enough to go home because I had three helping of lunch...I didn't get to be fat by missing meals so not wanting to eat means I am truly miserable). I have to force myself to eat. I am considering just taking a daily vitamin and drinking soup. You aren't alone which isn't a big comfort but if I figure anything out I will share. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

SarahD71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Evening.
What dosage are you on? My Dr put me from the start 4.5mg and I’m hurting so bad I can’t eat or drink. I can’t wake up I have zero energy. I ER Dr told me he should of never started me out with 4.5mg let me know please this is my 6th day and I’m still feeling the effect

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Trulicity for nearly 3 months. The first month was terrible with nausea and sickness. Now I find the day after I have my injection I get terrible nausea and sometimes vomiting. The rest of the time I have slight nausea on and off, and generally not myself' although the nausea is bearable. I've been thinking of giving it up, but my sugar levels have come down to about 7, which is really good for me. I've also lost a couple of pounds which is good. I've been reading comments about insulin, which is probably my next step. To be honest, I don't think I will be much better off with that. I am still taking Metformin twice a day.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I’ve been on it for over a year, it didn’t drop my weight, did seem to screw up my bowels, but symptoms have settled down in time. I couldn’t be put on metformin in the early years of my treatment because of screwed up liver function. Liver has improved in the last 6 months and metformin was added to my medication list. In the last 4 months I’ve been low carbing and along with reduction in back pain, improved asthma etc most of the bowel affects have stopped. Weight has fallen as result of eating pattern and my aim is to try and stop all medication with help of diabetic team, if possible

• Optimistic
Reactions: UsmanMo96

Ellyse159

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I’ve been on trulicity for 6 weeks now and haven’t really had any reactions other than really bad abdominal pain/cramps. If anything the pain seems to be getting worse and waking me up at night now, has anyone else had this? What did your doctor say?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on where the pain is, but this medication does slow the metabolism, and there is suspicion it may trigger gallbladder problems

And also

And here us the EU equivalent of NICE take on it

HighJinx22

Thanks, this is very helpful info. I am waiting to get my Trulicity script on Monday. I figured I’d enjoy one last weekend before all hell broke loose. My potential concerns are vomiting and more hypos. I’m having quite a few of the latter. Currently not on anything for diabetes so this will be my first foray into the world of poking myself with even more sharp objects than my glucose monitor.