Corona Virus

RajT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been a type 1 diabetic from diagnosis. Now for 32 years. 2 days ago I had a sore throat when I woke up. The first day I developed a runny nose and a mild cough. I had a runny nose most of that night. I called 111 and was told just to stay home and self isolate. I mentioned to them that I have been type 1 diabetic for 32 years and fall under vulnerable people and requested to be tested just to confirm if it is corona or just the normal flu, I thought that they would have atleast asked me to get the test done.
I would appreciate any advise I could get from fellow type 1 diabetics or who may been going through the same situation and how they may have succeeded in getting the test done.

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK only people who require hospitalisation are being tested.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been a type 1 diabetic from diagnosis. Now for 32 years. 2 days ago I had a sore throat when I woke up. The first day I developed a runny nose and a mild cough. I had a runny nose most of that night. I called 111 and was told just to stay home and self isolate. I mentioned to them that I have been type 1 diabetic for 32 years and fall under vulnerable people and requested to be tested just to confirm if it is corona or just the normal flu, I thought that they would have atleast asked me to get the test done.
I would appreciate any advise I could get from fellow type 1 diabetics or who may been going through the same situation and how they may have succeeded in getting the test done.
Hello, I’ve had a sore throat since last Friday, so over a week. I then got achy arms legs, headaches and for two nights chills. I still have sore throat now and very tired. I don’t however have a cough. I called my gp and they said take paracetamol drink and watch sugars, as they’ve been going loopy. Been trying adjust insulin to help but only been 3 weeks so I’m new to it all! I would love to be tested to know what I’m actually fighting off. But no mention of it I’m afraid. As someone else said seems to be hospital patients...and I want avoid that at all costs right now! Not easy though as now have my children home as schools have closed and having to look after them feeling like this isn’t fun. My daughter yesterday got temp twice and had to give cal polo then was fine. I’m worried but not much can do, would normally see a gp for my throat but they have closed surgery. The gp on the home did say I’d i couldn’t stop vomiting or get sugars down then they would see me but in full hazmat suits so they’d want try avoid that’s if possible.
Im not really bothered by the talk of this anti body test they want to look at doing, be more helpful to know if had the virus now whilst felt unwell.
Do you have other symptoms?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello, I’ve had a sore throat since last Friday, so over a week. I then got achy arms legs, headaches and for two nights chills. I still have sore throat now and very tired. I don’t however have a cough. I called my gp and they said take paracetamol drink and watch sugars, as they’ve been going loopy. Been trying adjust insulin to help but only been 3 weeks so I’m new to it all! I would love to be tested to know what I’m actually fighting off. But no mention of it I’m afraid. As someone else said seems to be hospital patients...and I want avoid that at all costs right now! Not easy though as now have my children home as schools have closed and having to look after them feeling like this isn’t fun. My daughter yesterday got temp twice and had to give cal polo then was fine. I’m worried but not much can do, would normally see a gp for my throat but they have closed surgery. The gp on the home did say I’d i couldn’t stop vomiting or get sugars down then they would see me but in full hazmat suits so they’d want try avoid that’s if possible.
Im not really bothered by the talk of this anti body test they want to look at doing, be more helpful to know if had the virus now whilst felt unwell.
Do you have other symptoms?

It is my understanding that a cough is one of the main identifying factors for Covid. Perhaps you have a heavy cold or an 'ordinary' flu, did you get the jab this year?

Reactions: Rose22

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems it often starts with sore throat, high temperature, headache upset tummy then shortness of breath and persistent dry cough this was according to a lady from Falmouth who believes she has had it though not confirmed along with some friends one of whom was a confirmed case which followed the same pattern and who is now recovering.

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/18314422.coronavirus-covid-19-symptoms-begin-sore-throat/
That’s useful thankyou I’ve read the article, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is my understanding that a cough is one of the main identifying factors for Covid. Perhaps you have a heavy cold or an 'ordinary' flu, did you get the jab this year?
Thankyou, Yes that’s what I think too and I don’t have a cough, and I don’t have colds go to my chest, unlike others in my family. I did get the flu jab yep. Doesn’t feel like flu, I’ve had it once and couldn’t get out of bed or move really for a week, with a fever that just wouldn’t budge. But this is an ongoing draining weak thing that hits me in waves. With a sore throat in the background all the time. Wish it would go so can get back to being busy hehe, at least the children are a constant distraction!