Type 1s taken Metformin

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can type 1s take type 2 medication to help them use the insulin they inject better? Just a random wondering I was thinking about last night when I couldn't sleep.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a Type 2, but have seen on here Type 1's with insulin resistance who do take metformin.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some time ago, my consultant was considering putting me (T1) on metformin - he got as far as describing its side effects so that I could think about it in between appointments. I believe that the reason behind this was tied up with the amount of insulin I was taking at the time. From what I remember, he seemed to indicate that anything over 0.5u per Kg of body weight needed some careful thought about how to reduce the average total daily dose of insulin. Whether this was something to do with weight gain I never found out.

Alan

the_exile

I might be way off, but a type 1 diabetic's pancreas is not capable of producing insulin, so what would be the point in taking metformin?

Snodger

you are quite right, t1s can't produce our own insulin, BUT sometimes we can also become insulin resistant like T2s. In that case, you might end up on huge doses of injected insulin, and the metformin would help with the insulin resistance so you can use it more efficiently - and thus reduce your dose.

that's my understanding anyway

however, I'm not entirely sure why it's "bad" to be on a larger than normal dose of insulin. Insulin doesn't make you fat unless you are eating too many calories (eg to 'feed' the insulin rather than the insulin matching your carbs) so if you are on the right dose for your carbs, I don't get why it matters.
although....it's different I suppose if you are on such a high dose that you are having to do several jabs just to get what you need. Or maybe it could be that a very large dose causes problems with hyperlipotrophy (fatty lumps in the skin that make insulin absorption uneven) or maybe they are just painful... some people find injecting larger doses to cause them pain.

I dunno

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type 1 and I've been on metformin for quite a few years. It's only reading this post and the replies that has made me realise that it's for insulin-resistance - always good to learn! :lol:

With reference to why it's not good to be on high doses of insulin - I remember reading that it does encourage weight-gain and that for women, there is some indication that high insulin levels play a role in developing polycystic ovarian syndrome, which has a minefield of symptoms all its own.

Geoff

My insulin intake was increasing and my weight was up some 8kg’s, I read up on these systems and found that they pointed to insulin resistance. I spoke to my GP and showed him the research work that I had been reading on type 1’s being given metformin to overcome this problem, he said ok to a three month trial.

The result was a 60% reduction in my insulin usage and I lost the 8kg’s weight that I put on.

Note: Insulin is an appetite stimulant; that is why you are likely to gain weight while using high doses. Metformin is an appetite suppressant, so it helps you to lose weight, simple.