High at night but low in the morning.

th99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has the same experience as me. I'm currently on Tresiba and Fiasp, and I've noticed lately that my blood sugar goes really high at night and it crashes in the early/mid morning even though I wouldn't take a correction. A few nights ago, it was 16.6 before I went to sleep, I didn't take any correction, and then when I woke up it was 4.3. Has anyone else also experienced this or is it just me?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi th99, I have been experiencing similar problems. Following discussion with DSN I was eventually changed from Lantus to Levemir. This did help for a while, unfortunately I am now experiencing the problem again. Like you I do not correct at night. Again on the advice of the DSN I have been reducing my Levemir as overnight that is the only insulin onboard.

I would discuss this with your team and hopefully come up with a solution.

Reactions: EllieM and th99

th99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi th99, I have been experiencing similar problems. Following discussion with DSN I was eventually changed from Lantus to Levemir. This did help for a while, unfortunately I am now experiencing the problem again. Like you I do not correct at night. Again on the advice of the DSN I have been reducing my Levemir as overnight that is the only insulin onboard.

I would discuss this with your team and hopefully come up with a solution.
I have a check-up coming up in the next couple of weeks, although with the lockdown it may be postponed, but I'm definitely gonna bring it up with them as soon as I see them! I don't exactly feel comfortable with Tresiba anymore as it's doing nothing to bring my sugars in range and yet if I up my dose I end up with more frequent hypos, especially late night/early morning.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask, how long before you tested before bed did you eat? Can it be the before bed test was still high from food? Going from 16.6 to 4.3 during the night without active mealtime insulin rather sounds like your basal dose may be too high.

Reactions: th99

th99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask, how long before you tested before bed did you eat? Can it be the before bed test was still high from food? Going from 16.6 to 4.3 during the night without active mealtime insulin rather sounds like your basal dose may be too high.
Hi, my bedtime reading was at 11:15 and the last time I ate was at 5:45 so I don't think it was the food. I also didn't snack between those times as I've been trying to lower my HbA1c. I think you could be right about the basal dose as I just realised I had a hypo that morning, which isn't the first time. As for the high reading I don't know whether it's just because my A1c is higher than I'd like or the dawn phenomenon, it's something I still need to learn more about.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my bedtime reading was at 11:15 and the last time I ate was at 5:45 so I don't think it was the food.
It may be worth testing between your last meal and bed time. Also, depending on your meal, the high could still be a result from your meal, especially if it was a high carb high fat meal like pizza, fries, spaghetti.

Have you looked into seeing if it's possible to get a Freestyle Libre or CGM? Seeing what your blood glucose does all day can be very helpful in finding out where funny readings came from.

Reactions: EllieM and th99

th99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be worth testing between your last meal and bed time. Also, depending on your meal, the high could still be a result from your meal, especially if it was a high carb high fat meal like pizza, fries, spaghetti.

Have you looked into seeing if it's possible to get a Freestyle Libre or CGM? Seeing what your blood glucose does all day can be very helpful in finding out where funny readings came from.
That's quite possible seeing as I had fries that evening. My carb counting is still a bit rusty but luckily I've been getting a bit better at it. I have the freestyle libre sensor and it's been a blessing since I first started using it, I no longer have to worry about running out of test strips and it's provided some peace of mind as to what my sugars are like during the night and day! I'm going to go carb free tomorrow and see if the background insulin is to blame. If not, I'll have a look at my ratios and where I might be going wrong in terms of carbs.

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
That's quite possible seeing as I had fries that evening. My carb counting is still a bit rusty but luckily I've been getting a bit better at it. I have the freestyle libre sensor and it's been a blessing since I first started using it, I no longer have to worry about running out of test strips and it's provided some peace of mind as to what my sugars are like during the night and day! I

You might want to double check your high and low readings with a meter if you're getting them from the libre, as it can be quite inaccurate when you're out of range at high or low levels, and sometimes quite inaccurate anyway.... Could it just be a bad sensor?

Reactions: th99

th99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to double check your high and low readings with a meter if you're getting them from the libre, as it can be quite inaccurate when you're out of range at high or low levels, and sometimes quite inaccurate anyway.... Could it just be a bad sensor?
It could be. I've started a new sensor today and got some test strips just to make sure the readings I'm getting are correct. More often than not there's the barest difference in readings but sometimes the sensor can be dubious.