Different readings for every finger?

sec123

I have not been diagnosed with diabetes.

Sometimes when I have checked my blood glucose I have seen figures like 6.1 or 5.9 fasting and then I have gone to check again because that is higher than usual and on the same finger it will then be '3.8' '4.4' '5.4' '5.1' just completly different numbers within minutes of eachother. I know glucose monitors can be out by a bit but this is a bit much. One reading puts me in the prediabetic range the others put me in the normal. I've followed all precautions washing my hands not squeezing too much etc. and I can test each different finger and get a different result.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you tested the same finger you could get a different result each time too: don't worry about it too much: those numbers you are posting look to be within the standard variance as far as I can tell. For greater accuracy, perhaps an hba1c would be better.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The new standard for accuracy is plus or minus %15 in %95 of tests. The %95 bit means that 1 in 20 strips can give results way outside of the %15 and still be considered within standards.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
2 tests from 1 drop of blood could give different results. Stop wasting strips do 1 test and unless you think the results are a million miles away from what you expected then accept it

If it is a million miles away do a second test if similar results accept it

Last edited: