Scared as I may be diabetic

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please excuse if I've posted in the wrong section as I'm a newbie. I really just want advice and a chat. Firstly, some information about me...
I'm 39 (almost 40), considerably overweight, my Mum has type 2 diabetes and I think her mother also had diabetes. I have high blood pressure 177/90 and have been feeling quite unwell and run down for several weeks - tired, bit faint/dizzy and also quite hot. My GP did a blood test around 2wks ago to test for several underlying causes. She said my glucose reading was 7.7 which she said was a little on the high side. I believe it should be under 7? I did ensure I fasted for 12hrs prior to the test but I'm wondering if the food I ate beforehand could have had an effect? I had 3 J2O's (I was out for a meal with family) and I also had a sugary dessert. I'm really worried as I'm also severely needle phobic so to go for a blood test is very traumatic and stressful for me, without having to deal with the fact I could be diabetic. And what if the reading next time is only just over 7 - what will this mean for me?

hallii

Only your doctor can diagnose if you are diabetic. You should ask him/her directly if you are or are not. Some more tests may need to be done.

7.7 is in the diabetic range, but your doctor will make a diagnosis based on all the factors, not just one test.

In the meantime you could cut out all sugar and sugary drinks, including cakes, biscuits etc. It should make a difference.

Oh! Don't panic, 7.7 is high but not mega high, it's best belolw 7, or even 6 if you can manage it, many can't.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting and your advice Hallii. I have already made modifications to my diet. I've cut out high fat foods, reduced sugar intake and fizzy sugary drinks, cakes etc and introduced more veg, fruit, salad and wholemeal products. I've been doing this for about 2wks and so far have lost about 5lb. I'm hoping I can continue losing weight if I'm sensible. My next blood test is early November and I will then know if I am diabetic or not.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Tigerlily, and welcome!

Be positive - maybe this is just the wake-up call you've been needing! :D I can say that because, quite honestly, Type 2 diabetes could be just about the best thing that ever happened to me!

I weighed over 21 stone when diagnosed 18 months ago. SInce then I have gone low-carb, lost 4 stone, and brought my blood sugars, blood pressure and cholesterol down to very acceptable levels. I still have a lot of weight to lose, but I have a very good reason for doing it now - I don't want diabetic complications!

You obviously know enough about diabetes to know that you don't want it :shock: You've been given a warning, but you've got a good chance to do something about it before it really gets hold of you.

Only your doctor can tell you if you're diabetic or not, but my personal experience tells me that you should treat yourself as if you are diabetic, keep an eye on your blood glucose levels, and get some weight off. You've obviously got the potential to become diabetic, so the best thing to do is eat as if you are and then you never will be! :D

Confused? I know I am :lol:

Cut out those carbs, eat as you have been doing, and go for it. Get used to reading food labels. Buy a Carb Counter book (Collins Gem series do a pocket-sized one) and decide how many carbs you're going to eat every day. I aim for under 50g, but I'm extreme. Try for 100g a day and see how that works. Do a bit of extra exercise every day, if you can - work it up gently. It all helps.

And don't beat yourself up about it. You can still have birthdays and Christmas off, and go out for nice meals, but don't treat yourself every day :wink:

Good luck! It's not the end of the world, you know - and you're probably not quite there yet anyway!

Viv 8)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Viv - I think you're right - it is a wake up call! That's exactly what my best friend said. I do however swing from thinking well maybe it's a good thing to then thinking about all the restrictions it may impose on me - dreading Xmas as I will have to watch what I have!!! :(

And well done you Viv for losing 4 stone! It's so good to be able to talk to people who understand the condition and can give advice and inspiration - so a BIG THANK YOU :)

I've ordered a pocket sized GI Diet book to make a start. Most of the food I've been eating (with the changes I've made) are green but I just need to watch the amber foods. I don't really drink much alcohol so that's not a problem but I do like my carbs - pasta and bread etc so need to be careful there. My lovely hubby has bought me some wholewheat rice so we are gradually replacing the "bad" foods in our cupboards.

I think I probably will turn out to be diabetic or at the very least have Pre Diabetes.

Thank God I've now found this forum for all the questions I'm probably going to have :)

deadwood2

If you want to know, go to the doc. Be prepared to be unwilling or unable to cope with the consequences. If you don't want to know just carry on. If you fear the worst, it will probably turn out to be true, but you may just be able to change it.

Accordingy to DESMOND, you only have to test twice a year, so if you're worried about Xmas, get a test on w/c 16 Dec and go on a serious diet regime on the 26th.

It won't change anything, but your figures will be so much better!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You can still enjoy Christmas - we're all allowed a treat now and again. Just be aware of what you're eating and avoid too many carbs - it is possible, promise! :D

Viv 8)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
deadwood2 said:
If you fear the worst, it will probably turn out to be true, but you may just be able to change it.

I DO want to change it! I've made a LOT of changes to my diet over the last 2-3wks - I've lost 1/2 a stone already :D It is hard as the cravings for what I really shouldn't eat are practically screaming at me some days :wink:

Deep down and my gut instinct tells me I am diabetic but like many newly diagnosed T2s I am trying to adjust to this illness, and at the very least make drastic changes to my lifestyle.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
viviennem said:
You can still enjoy Christmas - we're all allowed a treat now and again. Just be aware of what you're eating and avoid too many carbs - it is possible, promise! :D

Viv 8)

Already planning on giving myself Xmas Day off - but not to pig out on chocolates and sugary things but roast potatoes, parsnip and swede - all RED GI foods!

And of course my birthday - I'll be 40 the first week in January. I won't go mad but just have a nice treat on the actual day. :D

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, just a brief update...

I've been back to the Dr this morning for a repeat fasting blood test and thankfully it didn't take 2 nurses and 1 GP several attempts to get the blood! :( This is thanks to the (female) Dr I have been currently seeing who prescribed me Diazepam to help calm me and who also took the blood!

Results should be in on Friday and then I will know for sure if I am diabetic or not!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Let us know the results, Tigerlily! You know we'll help as much as we can.

I started a thread the other day called 'Strategies for Christmas'. Have you seen it? It might give you some tips - diabetic or not!

Viv 8)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Viv - everyone on here is really helpful. So glad I found this site and forum :D

And yes I have seen "Strategies for Christmas" - some great ideas and suggestions - I will be following for tips!

I now have my "Living the GI Diet" book by Rick Gallop and was really pleased to find some nice sounding desserts and I will also be checking out "WhitbyJet"'s recipes when I have more time.

Just need to get my hubby to rustle all the recipes up for me (he used to work as a Chef) so I'm one lucky wife!!!! ;-)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, the results are in .....

I now have the result of my 2nd fasting blood test which has gone down from 7.7 approx 4wks ago to 6.3. However, I was told by the receptionist on the phone that the diabetic nurse still needs to see me but I was unable to make an appointment as the nurse wasn't there today. So I need to call next week to sort this.

I'm a bit confused and wondering if I am diabetic or not? Reading info on this forum I am wondering if I have Pre-Diabetes? I'm also led to believe that if I do have pre-diabetes then with diet and lifestyle changes I may be able to prevent myself from developing T2.

I think that the changes I made to my diet about 4wks ago may have played a part in lowering my BG reading and would imagine this is what the nurse may want to discuss with me.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Tigerlily, according to NICE guidelines, non-diabetic fasting blood tests should be between 3.5 and 5.5.

I would think you are probably very nearly Type 2, but have been caught early enough that you can do something about it.

Don't forget I'm not qualified, so you do need to see what the diabetic nurse has to say. I hope s/he (ours is male) is a nice person that you can really talk to. They have to give the official line about diet, but you could ask what s/he thinks about low-carb, just to test the water. Say you've altered your diet since the first test, which you think has helped.

S/he'll probably test your feet for pulse and feeling, and a few other things besides. I hope you get chance to have a good chat. Don't forget to come back and tell us how you get on! and meanwhile, don't worry too much, and stick to the diet.

Good luck! :D

Viv 8)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Viv

I know I will be given the official line on diet and lifestyle etc so fully prepared for that speech - as long as it's done in a supportive way!

I'm hoping it's the person I spoke to when I had a letter requesting me to book a repeat fasting blood test. She was really nice and explained they wouldn't be doing the 2 tests - i.e. fasting and then the oral glucose tolerance test. This was because they acknowledged and saw just how traumatic it was for me the first time around due to my fear of injections and needles!!!

I did tell the Dr on Tues that I'd managed to lose 9lb since the first result but she didn't make much comment. I mentioned it to show I am serious about trying to manage the condition and to lower both my blood sugar, blood pressure and of course lose some weight.

I will of course let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the support so far :D