Newly Diagnosed Type 2?!!

yaserkelany

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Few days ago I woke up midsleep to pass urine. This happened 4 times in one night. The next day I remembered that recently I have been feeling burning sensation and numbness in my fingers and toes for the past few weeks. Since I am a doctor, surgeon, I thought of checking my blood sugar. Two months ago everything was perfect, my levels were OK as my HbA1c was 5.7% in a routine blood test. Yesterday I wasn't much optimistic. I was surprised to have my blood sugar level at 357, nearly 20 mmol two hours after dinner. The next day my fasting level was 11.7 mmol. I repeated both several times and I got the same results for my 2 hours and my fasting levels!! Now I am in a state of denial. Is it my device which is giving weird numbers? Should I change my device? But still why do I have these symptoms? Is it because I gained much weight over lock down? My BMI jumped from 28 to nearly 33, and I am not exercising at all!! I will check my HbA1c in the next few days and I really don't know what to do if I got a high number. I haven't seen my doctor yet. I am already a doctor but in this situation I don't know what to do. I am thinking a lot and I am worried how my life will be after all this!! Is it possible that I get back to normal levels with diet and exercise?!! Am I going to have these medications forever? How would this affect my social life, work, travels?!! I have lots of thoughts and this is the first time I am talking about this!! I still have a lot to say but I am totally confused!!

Last edited:

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about your concerns. It feels scary when you kind of know what your own diagnosis may be. I'm not a doctor or nurse but am a HCP too and diagnosed type 2 earlier this year. There are lots of lovely people on this site who will be able to tell you their success stories and help. I reduced my hba1c from 54 to 40 in 3 months by eating lower carbs, excercing more and checking bs after meals. It really helped. Hope you get to see your doctor soon and good luck

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Few days ago I woke up midsleep to pass urine. This happened 4 times in one night. The next day I remembered that recently I have been feeling burning sensation and numbness in my fingers and toes for the past few weeks. Since I am a doctor, surgeon, I thought of checking my blood sugar. Two months ago everything was perfect, my levels were OK as my HbA1c was 5.7% in a routine blood test. Yesterday I wasn't much optimistic. I was surprised to have my blood sugar level at 357, nearly 20 mmol two hours after dinner. The next day my fasting level was 11.7 mmol. I repeated both several times and I got the same results for my 2 hours and my fasting levels!! Now I am in a state of denial. Is it my device which is giving weird numbers? Should I change my device? But still why do I have these symptoms? Is it because I gained much weight over lock down? My BMI jumped from 28 to nearly 33, and I am not exercising at all!! I will check my HbA1c in the next few days and I really don't know what to do if I got a high number. I haven't seen my doctor yet. I am already a doctor but in this situation I don't know what to do. I am thinking a lot and I am worried how my life will be after all this!! Is it possible that I get back to normal levels with diet and exercise?!! Am I going to have these medications forever? How would this affect my social life, work, travels?!! I have lots of thoughts and this is the first time I am talking about this!! I still have a lot to say but I am totally confused!!
When you say you are a doctor, a lot of people will automatically assume you know exactly what T2 entails. That you'll be calm, collected, and just do what needs doing. Not realising that doctors can't always know everything about every condition, especially if it is not encountered/dealt with in their particular specialty, and wahey, they're humans too. They get scared, and they get in denial.

First thing's first, get a HbA1c done. Those are usually accurate and you need to know where you're starting from anyway. (And yes, that does imply that that can change, and for the better.) Going from the assumption that you, as you stated yourself, are in denial and your meter is correct: Type two is relatively easily treated, and it can be done without medication, provided it is indeed T2 and not LADA/Mody/T3c. But that wholly depends on you. A rather significant change in diet is key here. Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, and since we are insensitive to our own insulin, that doesn't get burned off. So... Eat less carbs (and I mean considerably less), and you can get your blood sugars under control. Some opt to go diet-only, like I did. I eat 20 grams of carbs a day at maximum, and my blood sugars have been in the normal range for well over 3 years, almost 4. Some opt to not be as rigorous with their diet and add one or two meds in the mix. Some do not change their diet at all and depend 100% on medication. Drawback of that being that the diabetes will get progressively worse, and insulin will most likely be required at some point or another. If you want to prevent complications, diet-only or diet with meds, really is the way to go. Now, most docs will first prescribe metformin in some form or another. It has rather severe side effects, but it keeps the liver dump relatively low. Doesn't do anything about what you eat though. Then there's gliclazide, which forces the pancreas to produce more insulin. Drawback of that being that if you don't eat regularly (and with your job you might not have the most regular schedule), you can hypo. I don't know if you have lengthy operations, so that might not be, you know... Good.

What impact will it have on your social life? Doesn't really have to have one, really. You'll not eat the same as the people around you, but once they figure out they can have the biscuit that came with your coffee or have the fries that come with your meal, they're okay with it all pretty quick. ;) As for exercise, the most important thing is diet, but... If you can do long, slow things, like a nice walk, that'd be good. Strenuous exercise will trigger the liver into dumping glucose, so just take it easy and don't overdo anything. (Even if it feels like not overdoing it.... Your liver can pitch in when you really do not want it to). I'm at home most of the week, but on the weekends, i go for walks with camera-gear, and that suits me and my blood sugars just fine. Should I have dinner at a place unfamiliar to me and my blood glucose shoots up because someone thinks sauce should be made with spoonfuls of brown sugar, I go for a half hour or an hour's walk to get my blood sugars down. I don't have to, but it makes me feel better mentally, to get them down quicker. If you travel, it depends on what path you choose. Medication of course needs to be listed for customs. But that's about it. Food, you can do the same thing you would do at home, if you choose diet: ask for a low carb meal. (Leave off the spuds, bread, pasta, rice etc, and ask them to replace it with veggies, leafy greens or extra meat). If you're abroad often, you might want to carry a card saying in various languages that you're a diabetic and you have dietary requirements, with many thanks to the kitchen. I plan to have some printed up when the borders open again and we get to travel. Will it sometimes go wrong? Sure. But slightly elevated blood sugars every once in a while won't kill you. So on holiday, I'd still try and stick to the diet, but not fuss overmuch if it gets botched for a meal here and there. Can't do more than your best, after all. This didn't happen because you gained too much weight over lockdown. The weight gain is a symptom of prediabetes, which occurs while you're headed for T2. It's not a cause-and-effect thing. When your body starts struggling with the processing of carbs, and isn't burning them off, they have to put them somewhere. That somewhere being your fat cells.And while eating more (or more carbs, as the case may be) while Corona is going on has probably sped up your sprint towards T2, it would've happened sooner or later. It's a genetic condition, and if you don't know you have metabolic issues, and ou don't cut carbs to avoid it as it is, you will become a T2 eventually. So if it wasn't now, it would've been a year from now, or five years, but it was coming. And it was NOT your fault. Okay? As for how it will affect your work... That's up to you. You try and do what you can with diet and exercise, but if you work irregular hours and night shifts, that might affect your blood glucose too. That is one reason why you might want to opt for metformin, provided the side effects don't hit you (can't see patients if you're in the loo every 5 minutes), as the slightly higher blood sugar levels from working shifts are mainly due to liver dumps, I'd think. But I'd say, try a low carb, high fat diet and walks first, see how much progress you make on that, and then decide whether to make changes in how you work or what medication you take, if any. But give yourself time to figure it out. Oh, and a lot of people talk about social life but mean pubs and drinking (I'm Dutch, sorry, don't quite always get the subtleties right), so if that's what you mean, there's low carb drinks out there. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol should help.

All in all... You're going to be fine. Get yourself Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, which is basically a lifesaver, and check dietdoctor.com for more low carb guides. As a quick start guide, here's my own little blog post, https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html with everything I wish someone'd told me when I was just diagnosed. It's nowhere near as grim as you might think it is right now. And if you have more questions, throw them out there. We're here to provide answers. You just decide which ones suit you by using your meter. Trust it.

Good luck,
Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hugs for what you're going through, @yaserkelany. I know exactly what you are going through because I felt the same upon diagnosis as I suspect most of the other posters on the forum.

I agree with @JoKalsbeek -- the first thing to do is probably to get an HbA1c done, so you know where you stand. The next step would be to get a meter you trust. I have a Contour Next One, which has some positive and some negatives. The positive part is that it is one of the most accurate meters out there, the negative part is that strips are a bit pricey -- and you'll probably need a lot of testing strips in the beginning. There are cheaper options out there and all meters are actually pretty accurate. A Freestyle Libre is also a good option, while not always absolutely accurate (especially at lower and higher than normal levels), it gives you a good idea how you react to various foods.

Don't blame yourself for having T2 diabetes if this turns out to be the diagnosis. First, there plenty of people out there who are sedentary and overweight, who'll never develop T2. In fact, there are a lot of researchers who would argue that rapid weight gain is as much a symptom of a deranged metabolism for T2s as weight loss is a symptom of T1. On the positive side, your weight gain seems to suggest that you are still making plenty of insulin. (Btw, I found Prof. Dr. Ben Bikman, whose specialty is the role of insulin on metabolism, to be an excellent resource if you really want to understand the underlying problem in T2. Just google him on Youtube). Speaking of insulin and seeing that you are an HCP, I would recommend also requesting an insulin test (fasting or even better c-peptide) if this is possible for you. Until today, I never understand why I wasn't given one at diagnosis (though probably something having to do with saving money on part of the health insurance provider).

Many of us T2s have chosen to adopt a low-carb/ketogenic way of eating to return to normal blood sugar levels. Low carb/keto is very often extremely efficacious when started early after diagnosis, even though there are also anecdotes of T2s returning to normal blood sugar while eliminating all medication (even insulin) as long as 20 years later.

My personal story, I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 11.3% (or 100 mmol ) almost exactly five years ago and was put on metformin right away with the prospect of being put onto insulin at the next 3-month review. After looking at the research out there, it definitely seemed to me as if T2 was a combination of genetic predisposition with a carb-heavy life style (with chronic stress and sleep deprivation also thrown in). So, deciding that carbs were the baddies, I largely eliminated them from my diet -- I am now on 20g of carbs per day or less. The result was normal blood sugars at the next review just three months later. I'm now five years in (the last four years of this without any medication) and blood sugars have stayed normal with an HbA1c between 5.4% (36 mmol) and 4.9% (29 mmol).

Have a look at the success stories thread -- and you'll see how many T2s have been helped by eating this way. If you decide to go down the low carb route -- @JoKalsbeek's blog (link in her post) is an excellent resource when dipping your toes into low-carb.

Welcome to the forum, have a look around and ask any question, you may have. You'll find there are lots of friendly, knowledgeable and friendly people on this forum.

Last edited: