Frequency for Hbalc ...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctors really do not have much of a 'bedside manner' these days - some of them seem to have no manners at all - but so far I - as a 'very bad diabetic' have had 4 tests in two years, and will have to wait to see when I will get another one.
I don't think that they are really all that bothered about my health, to be honest, as long as I do not clutter up their waiting room I'm fine.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in 2012 and, despite being well controlled, still have a diabetic review and hba1c test every 6 months. Perhaps it depends on the individual practice?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had annual blood tests after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism to monitor my thyroid levels. It was how my T2 was picked up - I had no symptoms so I would probably not have been diagnosed as T2 until I started showing symptoms or developing complications. But I wasn't told that I was in the pre-diabetic range until the year before I was diagnosed T2.

I had a 3 month retest after the T2 diagnosis, and as I had lowered my HbA1c I was told I only needed to have HbA1c tests every 12 months. After reading on here that other T2s get tested every 6 months I asked GP at my last review if I should be tested every 6 months as this was NHS/NICE guidelines, and as my HbA1c bg levels have been increasing over the last 2 years. But the GP said I didn't need 6 month tests as I am 'well controlled'.

I do resent this a bit. It seems that if I didn't try to control my diabetes myself I would get better support.
Still I do understand that the NHS is cash strapped because of the austerity funding restraints, so I don't blame my GP practice, but rather the Government.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Interesting topic.
My phlebotomist was telling me that I am on an annual test linked to my birthday.
When I had my review of the results my DSN said "see you in 6 months".
I listen to my DSN who is my contact point for diabetes care, not the phlebotomist who is just there to take blood (on the instructions of the DSN).

paulrnorman

I was diagnosed T2 at end of January with hbA1c of 96 and have just got results of June test showing 33, diabetic nurse has stopped metformin and will do another hbA1c in September at which point I guess we’ll see if it was the tablets or the 18kg I’ve lost in between. I guess if ok still I’ll get less frequent testing