1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Frequency for Hbalc ...

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Burcham1, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Doctors really do not have much of a 'bedside manner' these days - some of them seem to have no manners at all - but so far I - as a 'very bad diabetic' have had 4 tests in two years, and will have to wait to see when I will get another one.
    I don't think that they are really all that bothered about my health, to be honest, as long as I do not clutter up their waiting room I'm fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed in 2012 and, despite being well controlled, still have a diabetic review and hba1c test every 6 months. Perhaps it depends on the individual practice?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I had annual blood tests after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism to monitor my thyroid levels. It was how my T2 was picked up - I had no symptoms so I would probably not have been diagnosed as T2 until I started showing symptoms or developing complications. But I wasn't told that I was in the pre-diabetic range until the year before I was diagnosed T2.

I had a 3 month retest after the T2 diagnosis, and as I had lowered my HbA1c I was told I only needed to have HbA1c tests every 12 months. After reading on here that other T2s get tested every 6 months I asked GP at my last review if I should be tested every 6 months as this was NHS/NICE guidelines, and as my HbA1c bg levels have been increasing over the last 2 years. But the GP said I didn't need 6 month tests as I am 'well controlled'.

I do resent this a bit. It seems that if I didn't try to control my diabetes myself I would get better support.
    Still I do understand that the NHS is cash strapped because of the austerity funding restraints, so I don't blame my GP practice, but rather the Government.

#43 Prem51, Nov 25, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting topic.
    My phlebotomist was telling me that I am on an annual test linked to my birthday.
    When I had my review of the results my DSN said "see you in 6 months".
    I listen to my DSN who is my contact point for diabetes care, not the phlebotomist who is just there to take blood (on the instructions of the DSN).

5. Languagelearner

Languagelearner Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

6. paulrnorman

paulrnorman · Newbie

I was diagnosed T2 at end of January with hbA1c of 96 and have just got results of June test showing 33, diabetic nurse has stopped metformin and will do another hbA1c in September at which point I guess we’ll see if it was the tablets or the 18kg I’ve lost in between. I guess if ok still I’ll get less frequent testing

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook