ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm not clear why they'd even consider you type 2 with the information you've listed. It takes time for them to get the tests done, but they're treating you as type 1 by starting you on insulin. Stay safe in the meantime.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
What are your c-peptide units for the figure 630 you quoted? pmol/L? That would put you above the higher end of the reference range for normal fasting 260-620 pmol/L.

630 was non fasting and put me just outside T1 range

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
630 was non fasting and put me just outside T1 range
I had a stimulated c-peptide on diagnosis and my insulin only reached 170 pmol/L. I had to drink a glass of Lucozade. My BS's went off the scale.

TypeZero.

You could just be on your honeymoon period maybe? This is when your body produces some insulin from the remaining beta cells until they are all destroyed by your immune system.

Most people experience a partial remission but some experience a complete remission. Your ketones seem very high for a suspected Type 2 because T2s produces some insulin so their cells are not starved from energy entirely therefore they don’t really burn fat and produce ketones in significant amounts although they can if they had it for years and their condition worsens.

Based on your age, ketones, blood sugar and symptoms you seem like a Type 1/ 3c (unlikely). The weight loss and high ketones due to the absence/ shortage of insulin, your blood glucose was really high which makes Type 2 unlikely because T2 is a progressive disease where your blood sugars slowly creep up over the years and when using insulin you would’ve realised if you are insulin resistant or not depending on what ratios you used to bolus.

I would take the data from the Libre with a grain of salt. It has consistently showed my HbA1c between 41-42mmol/mol which is far from the truth. I was diagnosed with 134 mmol/mol and then a month later after insulin therapy I was down to 84mmol/mol. If you have been diagnosed in less than 3 months ago then your real HbA1c will still be quite high because it takes time to remove glucose from your blood (red blood cells renew themselves every 2-3 months).

Both Type 1 and Type 2 are said to be genetic although T1 is more genetic than T2. If your mum and dad has it then you have a 30% chance of being a T1D. T2 is mostly lifestyle based and tends to occur in people are overweight and less active (although not always!!!)

type2_2020

Hello. I’m type 2 and just come out of hospital with a dka. So it is possible type 2 can have them. I’m in going more tests now to investigate why it happened. Hope you get answers soon. It’s very frightening sometimes. X

Same thing happened to me. DKA, hospitalised for 6 days. Nurses suspects T2, doctor says it could be T1.5 / T2, waiting on C-peptide test now to see what I am, but T2's can DKA, it's rare but definitely can happen

Reactions: Mummybear3