My eyesight has suddenly become awful

TheJoshen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in the process of lowering my BG levels from the high teens down to around 8s and 9s and aiming lower of course

this has happened over the the course of around 1 week (having had very high BG levels for a long time)

I can now barely see anything with or without my reading glasses.. I thought your vision got blurry when you BG levels were high, not on the way down?

Reactions: tomcamish

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the process of lowering my BG levels from the high teens down to around 8s and 9s and aiming lower of course

this has happened over the the course of around 1 week (having had very high BG levels for a long time)

I can now barely see anything with or without my reading glasses.. I thought your vision got blurry when you BG levels were high, not on the way down?
Cause for celebration then...! Because if you can't see a hand in front of your eyes, that means what you're doing is working, and working well. All this time, the sugar in your eyes (both the eyeball and tear fluid) has been distorting your vision. And your brain's been correcting for it as much as it could. Now it doesn't have to anymore, and it has to get used to that. It will, in a week or two. So don't run out to get new specs. Well, you can pick up the 5 bob reading specs to tide you over, but yeah.... This is good. This is progress.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

When did you last have an eye scan appointment?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are despe6for specs, try to get them from off the shelf, for just a few quid.

M

Member496333

It's not abnormal for your vision to temporarily alter when lowering glucose, but be aware that in some cases it can also flare retinopathy and even result in macular oedema. If you notice any artefacts, flashing, strobing or geometric distortion then seek advice immediately. If you're only experience blurring then most likely it will return to normal fairly quickly.

The standard response to your question is not to worry but, if in doubt, seek help. Do not take any chances with your eyes.

Reactions: HSSS and EllieM

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been through this a few times in the ups and downs of my journey. It usually takes a few weeks for my eyes to adjust. But as officer Lahey suggests, there are other possible (but less likely) causes so getting your eyes checked out is probably a good idea. The first time this happened to me, I had a major panic.

tomcamish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I know this is an old post but I've recently had exactly the same so I'm glad to see its not just me going mad!

Did your vision sort itself out in the end?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly the same here, freaked me out for a while but came good again.
Another thing to watch for though on the way down is a stepped decrease in BS rather than a slow linear slide.
I had 3 distinct steps down where in a matter of days my fasting figures fell dramatically & each set off the blurry vision again.
This occurred over a 9 month periaod so it can be a rollercoaster.
Good luck.

tomcamish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly the same here, freaked me out for a while but came good again.
Another thing to watch for though on the way down is a stepped decrease in BS rather than a slow linear slide.
I had 3 distinct steps down where in a matter of days my fasting figures fell dramatically & each set off the blurry vision again.
This occurred over a 9 month periaod so it can be a rollercoaster.
Good luck.
My bg readings were constantly high teens then I got a free trial of the libre sensor last week and since then I've only had 1 reading over 10, so it was a sudden drop into the good range which I'll probably find wasn't the best way to go about it. I've got an eye test in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping its sorted before then, if not I'll delay it so they don't try and change my glasses.

Hopefully as I can show how much I've benefitted from the libre sensor I'll be able to get it on prescription.

Reactions: Ronancastled

MarkD72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the same, eyesight dropped off a cliff and anything 10 yards away is blurry.
Freaked out and booked spec savers appointment and also for blood test at docs.

Eyes in good health although far away vision screwed up and mentioned diabetes and he pulled up a massive image of my eyes and said could see no glucose damage which was good to hear.
Weirdly my close up vision is now perfect even though needed reading glasses previous.
I did buy a pair of glasses which I paid for and pick up on Monday although may of been better to wait after reading others experiences on here. But I basically need em to drive so probably not a total waste.

Bloods came back 8.1% and booked in for second test in couple of weeks but already started keto and making plans to get more active as work from home behind a pc all day which don't help much.

Happy to take the hit to my wallet for new specs if my eyesight returns to normal so fingers crossed on that one.