Driving with T3 Diabetes

Mark T D

I have recently been diagnosed with Tpye 3 diabetes and have to inject insulin 4 times a day. I informed the DVLA and have just received a letter telling me that I must go on a Medical Review Licence which is renewable every three years. Is this the normal procedure or do I need to question this?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently been diagnosed with Tpye 3 diabetes and have to inject insulin 4 times a day. I informed the DVLA and have just received a letter telling me that I must go on a Medical Review Licence which is renewable every three years. Is this the normal procedure or do I need to question this?
Yes, if you are on insulin you will be on a Medical Review Licence - it is normal, as a Type1 on insulin (since well before I could drive) I've never had anything else.

Edit: If you want to drive bigger vehicles there are a lot of extra steps you need to do and it then becomes a yearly renewal afaik

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzeptt

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 on MDI (Levemir and Novorapid) and thanks to Covid-19 my DVLA record now says I have no driving entitlement. I actually have vocational entitlements C1+e, D1+E and am on a 1 year medical

So I cannot at present hire a vehicle.

Road Traffic Act section 88 is not accepted by many driving employment agencies. Some do a compliance check with every booking. A prospective employer would also get a "COMPUTER SAYS NO" answer.
So soon I will not be able to work at all.