Prediabetes

Hello, before the pandemic in march I was told I was prediabetic. In the last couple of weeks since the start of September. I have found at 04:00 my blood sugar is around 8 to 8.9mmol/L. As the day goes on 08:00 7 to 7.9mmol/L. 12:00 6 to 6.9mmol/L 16:00 5 to 5.9 mmol/L and then by 20:00 back to 8 to 8.9 mmol.
It seems weird how it dips from 04:00 to 16:00 then suddenly jumps up again. I have adrenal insufficiency so take blood sugars before my hydrocortisone because I originally though this was rising my blood sugar. it cannot be.
Do I have Dawn Phemmnon?
My GP has ordered me a round of blood tests. I am just awaiting a date.
Is it normal to start the day high and slope down?
Is there anything I can do to reduce this? i like to self care but am out of ideas. Any suggestions welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, before the pandemic in march I was told I was prediabetic. In the last couple of weeks since the start of September. I have found at 04:00 my blood sugar is around 8 to 8.9mmol/L. As the day goes on 08:00 7 to 7.9mmol/L. 12:00 6 to 6.9mmol/L 16:00 5 to 5.9 mmol/L and then by 20:00 back to 8 to 8.9 mmol.
It seems weird how it dips from 04:00 to 16:00 then suddenly jumps up again. I have adrenal insufficiency so take blood sugars before my hydrocortisone because I originally though this was rising my blood sugar. it cannot be.
Do I have Dawn Phemmnon?
My GP has ordered me a round of blood tests. I am just awaiting a date.
Is it normal to start the day high and slope down?
Is there anything I can do to reduce this? i like to self care but am out of ideas. Any suggestions welcome.

Hello, and welcome!

Yeah, it is pretty usual to start the day high, and yes, that would mainly be due to dawn phenomenon. The hydrocortisone can raise your over-all blood sugars though, which might explain why you're on the high end of normal for most of the day. But if you need them, you need them. What you can to is tackle your diet so that'll compensate for the steroid's rise. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- that should help. Keep in mind that the fasting morning numbers are the last to come down eh. Give it time. Months, maybe half a year... Also, while I'm not a fan of the stuff myself because I got hit with the side effects rather badly, you could request slow release metformin and see whether that weorks for you. Steroids/cortisol causes a liver-dump of glucose, and the metformin *might* mitigate it a little.
Good luck!
Jo

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning blood glucose is usually nearer normal, simply because the beta cells have had more time to make the insulin required. You could try having no carbohydrate with the evening meal. It may reduce your morning blood glucose.