Newly diagnosed with steroid induced diabetes

Kathleen68

Hi everyone I have twice yearly liver function blood tests because I am on a number of medications for lung problems including asthma. These tests have always come back within the normal range. I was put on a maintenance dose of prednisolone ( 5mg) in May .......had my liver function test in August and was shocked to be told I had diabetes type 2 ,(53mmol) presumably caused by continuous steroid use. The GP said they would repeat the hba1c in 4wks time and told me to avoid cake, chocolate, biscuits etc in the meantime. I did all that , in fact my diet for the next 4wks was pretty frugal BUT the blood result came back the same - 53mmol. GP didn’t seem bothered, said they would repeat it in around 3mths , but basically whilst I’m on prednisolone they don’t expect it to improve. Can anyone offer advice please ???

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Hi Kathleen - welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't help you at all, since I'm pretty newly diagnosed myself and have zero idea about steroids. But there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so I'm sure someone will have some ideas and opinions for you.

In the meantime, have you tried using the search function to search for "steroids" or "prednisolone"? There's every chance there will be other threads about it that might help.

Good luck x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone I have twice yearly liver function blood tests because I am on a number of medications for lung problems including asthma. These tests have always come back within the normal range. I was put on a maintenance dose of prednisolone ( 5mg) in May .......had my liver function test in August and was shocked to be told I had diabetes type 2 ,(53mmol) presumably caused by continuous steroid use. The GP said they would repeat the hba1c in 4wks time and told me to avoid cake, chocolate, biscuits etc in the meantime. I did all that , in fact my diet for the next 4wks was pretty frugal BUT the blood result came back the same - 53mmol. GP didn’t seem bothered, said they would repeat it in around 3mths , but basically whilst I’m on prednisolone they don’t expect it to improve. Can anyone offer advice please ???

Hi Kathleen - I don't have steroid induce diabetes, although my late father did, some years ago.

Your diagnostic test for diabetes shows you're only a short way over the line (48 is the diagnostic "line"), so there are likely some tweaks you could make to help things along.

Whilst your GP suggested giving up the sweet stuff, they're not the only thins with the potential to push our blood glucose up. In reality, most carbohydrates will have a blood glucose impact, so that includes, anything with flour (bread and crispbreads, as well as cakes), potatoes, rice, pasta for example.

Paring back on those foods makes all manner of sense, but it makes sense, in my view, for you to do some home finger prick testing, to learn where your biggest culprits are in terms of blood glucose rocket fuels.

For personal experience of steroid induce diabetes, I'll tag @JohnEGreen , and @Tophat1900 who both live the condition.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Tophat1900

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Kathleen68 Hi I have steroid induced diabetes I am on 15 mg per day at the moment used to be higher dose but have been able to step down over the last few years and yes preds will put your blood sugars up sometimes quite a bit and as as you have sadly found can induce diabetes in most cases if you are on short term preds and you then come off them the diabetes can and often does go away if you are on them longer than a short time then this is not guaranteed and the diabetes may be permanent even if you no longer are taking them but if like me you are never likely to stop taking them then as long as you are diabetes becomes a permanent feature of your life.

But not withstanding this it is possible to gain control my blood sugars at the moment are in the normal range by keeping tight control of carbohydrate intake I have managed for the most part to keep in range I also lost a lot of weight by keeping low carb and lowish calories I don't now keep to a very low calorie diet but I do try and keep to a low carb diet I do not say this will work for everyone but it does for me though there are times that my blood sugars will go high and because preds can be so unpredictable in their effect I also have experienced to pretty low levels as well.

I test my bloods regularly every day to keep track but I have to self fund because T3E drug induced diabetes tends to fall by the wayside where recognition is concerned and you tend to be considered as T2 by most doctors even though there are differences.

Sorry if I have not been as helpful as I would like to have been.

but I do wish you luck and hope that you will not be taking preds long term but a low carb diet can help and maybe get you down tom non diabetic levels soon.

Please do not forget all carbs are sugar and treated by the body as such.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Welcome. I'm the same as @JohnEGreen in terms of taking steriods daily, however I differ in that I'm insulin deficient and taking 7mg per day. So, in my case it's insulin, doesn't mean I can't low carb and I do to a degree.

The main thing is understanding that being T3c and taking pred means you are carb intolerant even more so then type 2's are. Pred makes you less tolerant of carbs. It's tough work but with time you can get to understand what foods really drive up your glucose. I find cheese sure does and it's a low carb food, but there are differences, not everyone who is T3c will respond identically to the same foods. Keeping a food log is a good idea to start with.

Testing is important, pred can keep driving glucose numbers up past the 2hr post meal so keeping a log helps a lot also. So, you most certainly need a blood glucose meter and don't listen to anyone who tells you not to test. Get one, this is part of how you will take control of your levels or data collecting to show what is happening. You cannot manage this condition without one, it would be a bit like driving a car without the steering wheel.

When it comes to diet, below is a good guide on diet for anyone looking to low carb and what to avoid.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

And one again, welcome!

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome. I'm the same as @JohnEGreen in terms of taking steriods daily, however I differ in that I'm insulin deficient and taking 7mg per day. So, in my case it's insulin, doesn't mean I can't low carb and I do to a degree.

The main thing is understanding that being T3c and taking pred means you are carb intolerant even more so then type 2's are. Pred makes you less tolerant of carbs. It's tough work but with time you can get to understand what foods really drive up your glucose. I find cheese sure does and it's a low carb food, but there are differences, not everyone who is T3c will respond identically to the same foods. Keeping a food log is a good idea to start with.

Testing is important, pred can keep driving glucose numbers up past the 2hr post meal so keeping a log helps a lot also. So, you most certainly need a blood glucose meter and don't listen to anyone who tells you not to test. Get one, this is part of how you will take control of your levels or data collecting to show what is happening. You cannot manage this condition without one, it would be a bit like driving a car without the steering wheel.

When it comes to diet, below is a good guide on diet for anyone looking to low carb and what to avoid.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

And one again, welcome!

Hello Kathleen,

I’ve been on prednisolone for about 14 years. It was originally prescribed for polymyalgia rheumatica. About 7 years ago my a new rheumatologist decided I had rheumatoid arthritis, and switched me to methotrexate with the intention of getting me slowly off the prednisolone. I didnt have much success with getting off the pred.

About the same time I was diagnosed with steroid induced diabetes. , and having found this site started on a low carb diet. The effect was amazing, I’d been obese for years, and fat which had defied all previous diets dropped off, and I lost 8 stone. Meanwhile I was still on the prednisolone, and actually went back up the pred dosage to cope with flare ups, and a nasty dose of temporal arteritis. Getting down the dosage was always a struggle.

Then I got complacent, and weight started creeping back on. I put on about 4 stones in 6 months.

I had a attack of shingles in July 2019. This sent all sorts of things haywire, and at one point the rheumatologist decide to up my methotrexate. This made the rheumatoid arthritis worse, not better, and I had to come off the methotrexate. The rheumatology nurse suggested a steroid injection would help. (Despite my saying that I had steroid induced diabetes). I didn’t know what had hit me, I felt terrible, but my blood glucose level stayed at between 4.5 and 5.5. I only tested once a day before breakfast.

But I felt so Ill that I decided to test more frequently, and realised that although my first test of the day was fine, and so was the pre lunch one, from then on all the readings were in the teens, even if I didn’t eat. I worked out that my blood sugar level started rising 3 to 4 hours after I had taken my morning drugs.

I saw one of the practice nurses, who said to go back on metformin. She said a lot of other things like don’t test, it’ll just hurt your fingers, but the least said about that the better.

It’s taken me a good 3 months to get the blood sugars down, by a combination of metformin and a very low carb diet. The weight I had put on is finally starting to come off, it it is really hard work this time.

So, my conclusions
*. Prednisolone started the diabetes in the first place, and kicked off the relapse.
*. Predisolone causes the rise in blood sugar levels each day
*. Weight loss when I first started prednisolone was easy and dramatic.
*. Weight loss after the recent relapse following the prednisolone injection is possible, but much slower than the first time.

BUT. We are all different, and can react quite differently.

I hope this helps. Good luck with it.

Margaret

Reactions: Brunneria

myvanwy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When first informed I was type 2 diabetic, 2 two years ago, I was in hospital with Pneumonia on a high dose of Prednisolone. You could have knocked me down with a feather, when the hospital Diabetic team came to see me, I was so shocked, as I did not know the link between Prednisolone meds and Diabetes. Although on a previous hospital admission 2 years previous, eyebrows had been raised when my blood sugar was taken at 25, but nothing was said or done, or so I thought. Unbeknown to me, my asthma consultant had written to my GP to inform them I was diabetic but the GP had not opened his report, so it went untreated for 2 years. Needless to say he now sends a copy of his reports directly to me. I started on Metformin and Aloglitin, however Metformin did not agree with all my other meds and I am now only on Alogliptin and do low carbing. It would be interesting to hear how other members with Asthma cope with the conflict of Prednisolone meds and Diabetes.

TypeZero.

The HbA1c test they did is a 3 month blood sugar average. Every 2-3 months your red blood cells get renewed and depending on your blood sugar throughout the last 3 months there can be varying percentages of glucose bound to the haemoglobin in your blood.

What this means for you is that you shouldn’t be worried because 4 weeks is not an enough time for your body to renew its red blood cells, so even if your blood sugar was mostly good it would only show 2-3 months after.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GP didn’t seem bothered, said they would repeat it in around 3mths , but basically whilst I’m on prednisolone they don’t expect it to improve. Can anyone offer advice please ???

Hi @Kathleen68 and welcome. I can’t offer any personal experience but will tag a couple of members with experience of prednisolone and may be able to help @xfieldok and @JohnEGreen

Editing to say, just spotted John has already replied. Apologies for the double tag!