sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't read anything that your more likely to get Covid with diabetes.

there are studies that suggest you are more likely to develop serious complications with diabetes once you get covid, however most of the studies suggest this is often tied in with either very poor glucose control or more frequently with obesity and age.

Since age and obesity increase risk of diabetes and covid seems to cause more issues with people who are obese and or old - then it also connects the dots to diabetes. It doesn't follow from what i have read that a person with diabetes and good control and no other risk factors are at significantly higher risk of serious complications

However we should all be careful regardless.

Reactions: Brooke K Wyatt

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had covid back in March when I was uncontrolled type 2 (I was diagnosed from blood tests after this). It was very unpleasant for a couple of weeks but never required serious consideration of hospitalisation. However, I have no history of heart, circulation or BP issues and was a 44 year old with BMI of 30, so not otherwise high risk.

Definitely one to avoid if possible.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had covid back in March when I was uncontrolled type 2 (I was diagnosed from blood tests after this). It was very unpleasant for a couple of weeks but never required serious consideration of hospitalisation. However, I have no history of heart, circulation or BP issues and was a 44 year old with BMI of 30, so not otherwise high risk.

Definitely one to avoid if possible.
To put it into context you are 3 times more likely to die from Covid if you are type 1 and x2 as likely if type 2 once infected with Covid.
So you'd multiply that risk by the population risk (not known exactly but the infection fatality rate is 0.3-0.4%).
You could also add in obesity and severe obesity (bmi 40+) x 2 then being male x 1.6 and BAME.
But the real risk is being over 80 which ramps things up to x 22 hazard ratio.
Of course older people are more likely to have diabetes, hypertension etc. but at over 80 our immune systems just aren't as good as they were.
So as you say we should not be rushing out to a Covid party but perhaps this doesn't warrant staying inside until there is a vaccine...